News   Apr 25, 2024
 183     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 343     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 541     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Timely photos of Alexander Muir Park. This weekend could well be the 58th Anniversary of its opening. I remember going to it in late September or early October of 1952--about as local a public ceremony as the north part of North Toronto ever got!

The young 'uns can fidget some more while this member of the audience thinks about the taste of Honey Dew and Red Hots--a standard CNE meal for me--way back when....

Honey Dew also had a branch operation in the basement of Simpsons - now the downtown Bay store - that served only their steamed hot dogs and that memorable orange drink of theirs in the cone paper cups in a cast metal holder.

IMG_0306.jpg

Honey Dew, one of the E P Taylor/Argus, companies.

Regards,
J T

"Honey Dew" seems to be well hidden from the Google search engine - I found next-to-nothing - only photos of melons.

It's bad when your teenage memories count for nothing.

Yes, when our teenage years are in the 50's, there are not many with whom to reminisce.
My favorite Honey Dew was at Sunnyside, where I also enjoyed the drive-it-yourself challenge (attached).

Attachments

• Sunnyside or Wards Island 1934.jpg
    Sunnyside or Wards Island 1934.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 405
Well I was a child of the 1960's and a teen of the 1970's. I was so young that the only time I went to the Honey Dew where my grandmother worked was when my mother took me and my brother to meet her there before closing on Friday nights. The bonus for me was that because my grandmother worked there we got free donuts and danishes. The Honey Dew was almost a magical place in my childhood memories. I remember going upstairs from the Honey Dew to the Christian bookstore where we would have a great vantage point in watching the Santa Claus Parade go by.

Toronto certainly has changed since the time I was a child. Back then Toronto was more like a town than the city it is today, some roads were still red-brick roads (another one of my ongoing interests), Simpsons was competing against Eatons, the Yonge subway ended at Eglinton Station, and murders (especially shootings) were almost unheard of. Toronto has lost its innocence as it has grown into a megacity.

I should have nicked one when I had the chance... :)

Thanks Anna for showing this.

I'll show some Then and Now pictures of Alexander Muir Gardens in it's original location across the street from Mt. Pleasant cemetery on Yonge street soon...

September 27 addition.

Then. 10 Stanley Terrace. May 5 1938.

10stanleyterracebetwstrachanandniagarasofking.jpg

Now. August 2010.

DSC_1884.jpg

I should have nicked one when I had the chance... :)

Thanks Anna for showing this.

I'll show some Then and Now pictures of Alexander Muir Gardens in it's original location across the street from Mt. Pleasant cemetery on Yonge street soon...

September 27 addition.

Then. 10 Stanley Terrace. May 5 1938.

10stanleyterracebetwstrachanandniagarasofking.jpg

Now. August 2010.

DSC_1884.jpg

Sounds like this place was developed twice since the then picture..

wwwebster: any ideas on the source of the confusion?

Mr. W.R. Gregg, Chairman of the O.A.A., prepared that list of buildings. I’m guessing he had a brain cramp and confused William Thomas with Thomas Ridout, which CA&B then reprinted verbatim without double-checking.

Myself, I’m not nearly as interested in the Normal School as I am in the fire hydrant visible here:

Toronto_Normal_School_1860.jpg

Little glimpses like that are the best I can find of the pre-TWW hydrants. Oddly, no-one back then seemed to think that hydrants were worthy photographic subjects :)

What about the PIV?

Is that not an open + shut case?

Regards,
J T

Last edited:

Back