News   Jul 12, 2024
 802     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 731     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 307     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

It also seems on the Goad map and the one below that the old complex would have fit within the quadrangle created by the new buildings. Imagine what that block would have looked like if say, KPMB had that commission......

54431a29.png

Original plan:

e1ce02c5.png

Last edited:
The Normal School had great presence... if the buildings had survived, the school grounds would have an "ivy league" [not sure this is the right term] atmosphere.

thecharioteer, those are great plans, thank you.

September 24 addition.

Then. "Gerrard street looking west from opp. #42" March 27, 1956.

gerrardwfrom42.jpg

Now. July 2010. Gorries is gone; replaced by a highrise student housing building.

DSC_0001.jpg

More on the Gorries car dealership from the Ryerson archives:

"A Neighbour From Ryerson's Past: A.D. Gorrie Automobile Dealership

Although not an official part of the University Archives' mandate, the gathering of information on the history of Ryerson's neighbouring institutions and establishments has proved to be valuable in several ways. It has permitted a better understanding of key aspects of the University's physical evolution. It has revealed interesting and little-known facts about the immediate area. And, it has provided a useful context in explaining Ryerson's role as a recognizable occupant of Toronto's downtown core.

The vicinity around Ryerson has included, over the years, such diverse neighbours as: the O'Keefe Brewery, the Working Boys Home (today's Oakham House), Sears Canada, the College of Pharmacy, Willard Hall (the Women's Christian Temperance Union), the Gould Street Presbyterian Church, and the long-established Sam The Record Man. One enterprise, however, which has received little attention but has remained alive through the photographic collections of the Ryerson University Archives, was once one of Canada's largest automobile dealerships.

“Gorrie's Downtown Chevrolet-Oldsmobile” was a thriving business owned by entrepreneur Joseph Seitz and was located on Gerrard Street, immediately north of the Ryerson campus and close to his other main concern, the Underwood Typewriter of Canada company. Indeed, the Buffalo, N.Y. businessman founded the Underwood company in Toronto around 1898, at a time when typewriters were being acclaimed as the newest trend in office efficiency equipment. It is believed that, at some point, Seitz located his typewriter business on Victoria Street, just above Gould Street, where Ryerson's Library and Podium building is situated today (the “Underwood Building” and property were later purchased by Ryerson for its expansion programme in the mid- to late-1960s).

In 1945, Joseph Seitz began to relinquish control of the dealership to his son, Ernest, who became Vice-President of Gorrie's Chevrolet, as well as the Peerless Carbon and Ribbon Co., another family business. Ernest's story was compelling in its own right, but it had nothing to do with selling cars.

Dubbed the ‘Boy Wonder' by Toronto newspapers, Seitz was an accomplished concert pianist who showed signs of greatness as early as four years of age. So promising was his talent that his father insured his hands for one million dollars. Ernest studied at the Royal Conservatory of Music and in Europe, and from 1920 to 1945, played more concerts with the Toronto Symphony Orchestra than any other performer at the time. He was also featured in a regular Sunday night radio broadcast on the CBC.

Although Seitz' career as a pianist was remarkable, and his abrupt leap into business by all accounts successful, his main claim to fame was a tune he composed as a twelve-year-old that went on to become the most successful popular song in Canadian history. Entitled, The World is Waiting for the Sunrise, it was co-written by well-known Hollywood character actor and fellow Canadian, Gene Lockhart, who was Seitz' childhood friend. Over the years, the song was played and recorded by such musical luminaries as Benny Goodman, Duke Ellington, Les Paul and Mary Ford, Oscar Peterson and most recently, by renowned Canadian tenor, Ben Heppner. At the height of its original popularity in the 1920s, The World is Waiting for the Sunrise sold over one million copies of sheet music. Today, a private parkette named Sunrise Park, in the Avenue Road and St.Clair Avenue area, stands as a testimony to both the song and its composers.

In the mid-1950s, Ernest Seitz passed the reins of the family automobile business to his son, Burke. Gorrie's Oldsmobile-Chevrolet remained on Gerrard Street until the mid- to late-1960s, when it became the Golden Mile Chev-Olds dealership on Eglinton Avenue East in Scarborough. This was in the heart of the Golden Mile, the legendary showpiece of Canadian industrial development established during the post-war period. Gorrie's Gerrard Street two-storey structure, which housed the dealership for so many years, was torn down to accommodate a high-rise apartment building. In 1974, the last link to the Seitz family was severed when the car dealership was sold to one of its executive employees."

http://www.ryerson.ca/archives/past.html

Although Seitz' career as a pianist was remarkable, and his abrupt leap into business by all accounts successful, his main claim to fame was a tune he composed as a twelve-year-old that went on to become the most successful popular song in Canadian history. Entitled, The World is Waiting for the Sunrise, it was co-written by well-known Hollywood character actor and fellow Canadian, Gene Lockhart, who was Seitz' childhood friend.

Fascinating story. What I find poignant is that the "most successful song" is completely forgotten today, only a few decades after it apparently made such an impact. Illustrates how evanescent most popular success is.

Was that thing on the left a construction shed or a temp classroom facility for Ryerson?

That link that Mustapha posted says this:
Surrounding the Normal School buildings (or Ryerson Hall as it came to be known) are low-level structures of varying shapes and sizes which were first erected to support the war effort from 1941 to 1945 and which were later used to train veterans re-entering the peacetime workforce.

A third floor was added to the Normal School early in 1896, resulting in a change in proportions as well as a new tower:

"The greatest change in the buildings took place, however, in 1896, when a third storey was added to the south block. This addition, involving the loss of the old cupola and the substitution of the present tower, pro*vided spacious halls connected by archways on the third floor, for use as art and picture galleries. Another alteration occurred in 1902, when the north building, then housing the Normal School proper, was enlarged by wings on both east and west sides, each two storeys in height. The length of this building now ran cast and west, instead of north and south. "
(http://www.oldandsold.com/articles11/toronto-normal-school-8.shtml)

1856 (Library and Archives Canada):
NormalSchoolGould1856.jpg

Toronto Archives version:
08normalschoolgouldnsideeofyongezt0.jpg

The original tower can be seen in the NE view of the 1856 Rossin House panorama:
rossinNE.jpg

rossinNE-1.jpg

1860 by Notman (McCord Museum):
Toronto_Normal_School_1860.jpg

1868 (McCord Museum):
Toronto_Normal_School_1868.jpg

1885 (from A Few of the Points of Interest Noted in a Tour of Canada Over the System of the Grand Trunk Railway Co., page 42 (1885:Toronto, A.H. Dixon & Son) (in the collection of the Fisher Library (Canadian Pamphlets and Broadsides Collection), University of Toronto):

Sketch_of_Normal_School_in_Toronto.jpg

1890's (Archives of Ontario):
Toronto_Normal_School_1890s.jpg

Listed as 1900 by Notman at the McCord (probably earlier):
Normal_School_by_Notman.jpg

1909 (Archives of Quebec):
TorontoNormalSchoolCirca1909.jpg

Ryerson_monument_in_front_of_Normal_School_building.jpg

Last edited:
In the above photo (on page 103) Arliss Shoe store is clearly visible. Right next to it (to the right of it) was a restaurant called the Honey Dew (with entrances on Yonge and Albert Sts.). If you zoom in the sign becomes a little more visible. I am curious to know if anyone remembers that restaurant or if anyone has any photos (preferably frontal) of it. My grandmother worked there in the late 1950's to the late 1960's. The whole block was demolished to make way for the Eaton Centre. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
A postscript to the photo essay on the Normal School and a bit of a mystery.

One source lists the architect as William Thomas:

1897:

architects.gif

Most list the architects as Cumberland & Ridout:

1892 (funeral notice for Frederick Cumberland 1892):

storm.gif

A book on Cumberland titled Fred Cumberland: building the Victorian dream By Geoffrey Simmins has pages of drawings of the building by Cumberland and states that the commission was the result of Cumberland winning a competition (in which Thomas came in third)

http://books.google.ca/books?id=xaJ...age&q=architect Toronto Normal School&f=false

As does the City's Inventory of Heritage Properties:

http://app.toronto.ca/HeritagePreservation/details.do?folderRsn=2434533&propertyRsn=220333

wwwebster: any ideas on the source of the confusion?

There is also short scanned history of Ryerson showing photographs of the Normal School still standing within the quadrangle prior to demolition:
http://www.ryerson.ca/archives/images/stagg1.pdf

In the above photo (on page 103) Arliss Shoe store is clearly visible. Right next to it (to the right of it) was a restaurant called the Honey Dew (with entrances on Yonge and Albert Sts.). If you zoom in the sign becomes a little more visible. I am curious to know if anyone remembers that restaurant or if anyone has any photos (preferably frontal) of it. My grandmother worked there in the late 1950's to the late 1960's. The whole block was demolished to make way for the Eaton Centre. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Daniel,

Here you go...

s0574_fl0046_id49670.jpg

s0574_fl0044_id49656.jpg

s0574_fl0039_id49607.jpg

s0574_fl0007_id49200.jpg

It wasn't until after many buildings were 'cleaned up', that is outside work, and the former coloured bands of brick displayed + other refinements uncovered,

that people started to view these in a manner unknown when the dismal/black/peeling painted walls were visible; "just tear it down, it's olde, it's a firetrap".

Regards,
J T

"As well as program and course changes, there were physical changes. By the early 1960s, Ryerson was a very different
place from what it had been in 1948. The Normal School buildings were demolished in 1963, after the Quadrangle,
later Howard Kerr Hall, was completed, and with it went a good deal of the tradition that Kerr had cultivated. While
Kerr would have liked to keep the buildings, they were in a bad state of repair. English instructors, in their basement
office, could literally feel their furniture sinking through the floor. Recycling historic buildings was not in favour at the
time, and the Department of Public Works had never liked the Ryerson buildings, letting Kerr know in the early years
that he could do whatever he wanted with them since the Department did not want the trouble of maintaining them.
Only the facade was retained, with the idea that graduates would march out through it at convocation and link their
present with the past."

ryerson3-1.png

Also, JT, to your point about cleaning (from the Star Archives):

savingcityhall.jpg

"Caption: Save-the-Old City Hall adherents floodlit the west side of the building and began scrubbing off the grime with water and detergents. As the crowds began to investigate, others handed out appeals for support to retain the downtown landmark. Last Published: 6/24/1966
Release: NOT RELEASED
Photographer: Frank Lennon/GetStock.com

Last edited:
s0574_fl0046_id49670.jpg

Ah, don't tell me that was the same Honey Dew that made it into this memorable recent subway-ad image...

Berton_JPG_reference.jpe

If not--well, close enough...

"As well as program and course changes, there were physical changes. By the early 1960s, Ryerson was a very different
place from what it had been in 1948. The Normal School buildings were demolished in 1963, after the Quadrangle,
later Howard Kerr Hall, was completed, and with it went a good deal of the tradition that Kerr had cultivated. While
Kerr would have liked to keep the buildings, they were in a bad state of repair. English instructors, in their basement
office, could literally feel their furniture sinking through the floor. Recycling historic buildings was not in favour at the
time, and the Department of Public Works had never liked the Ryerson buildings, letting Kerr know in the early years
that he could do whatever he wanted with them since the Department did not want the trouble of maintaining them.
Only the facade was retained, with the idea that graduates would march out through it at convocation and link their
present with the past."

I suppose that in those days when, in judgments of heritage worth, a combination of stylistic perfection + unblemished antiquity was all, another factor working against the old Normal School was its turn-of-the-century top-floor addition + cupola, whose ungainly eclecticism was disfiguring solecism to the likes of Eric Arthur. In modern-day terms, it'd be like postmodern alterations fatally detracting from the integrity of a classic Modernist edifice...

Wow. I have been searching the net for months trying to find pictures of the Honey Dew. It is great to see these!

Wow. I have been searching the net for months trying to find pictures of the Honey Dew. It is great to see these!

I found these online at the Toronto Archives. I used search term "subway construction" and a good hunch it turned out to be. There were a couple hundred pictures to go through but what the hey; I miss Honey Dew too. :)

adma's picture slays mine. :) Berton's story or article is probably worth tracking down.

Honey Dew also had a branch operation in the basement of Simpsons - now the downtown Bay store - that served only their steamed hot dogs and that memorable orange drink of theirs in the cone paper cups in a cast metal holder. The drink was dispensed from taps that came through the wall from the kitchen.

This basement outlet outlived their bricks and mortar operation and ended up being called "Red Hots" or something like that. The servers - all women - wore something like the classic smock dress uniform that you would imagine Central Casting would provide to waitress extras in a period film.

The basement outlet was downsized to a smaller outlet - still in the basement - around 1985 and finally wound down about 1990. My kids as toddlers would ask to go there and we often ate there alone. I think in the end the lack of visibility of the outlet killed them. I think their demographic died too.

For a while about 10 years ago, you could buy the frozen version of HoneyDew; I think Coca Cola brands, although it may have been another company, sold it alongside their other frozen juice brands such as Minute Maid.

The Yonge street I knew counted many Honey Dews along its length. The one near me was one at Castlefield. There is a Restoration Hardware there now.

So, I'm doing a mental inventory of places to eat that are History: Bassells, Silver Rail (A classy place to take business clients) Town and Country Buffet... or places where a kid in 60s Toronto could just buy a snack: Womens Bakery, Hunts Bakery.

The "What-a-Bagel" restaurants are unpretentious places to eat in the present day - I like 'em.

Once again I detect fidgeting in the audience :) ; herewith my:

September 26 addition.

Then. Alexander Muir Gardens. Guessing 1950-ish? Looking west. That's the Muir Park Hotel on the west side of Yonge street.

card00801_fr.jpg

Now. August 2010. Condominiums now. The hotel was demolished around 1980. Those hedges may be the same in the Then and Now pics. Some of them can live for decades.

DSC_0002-1.jpg

Back