News   Apr 16, 2024
 189     0 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 681     3 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 476     3 

Montréal Transit Developments

I'd agree transit is better in Montreal, but the density of the RT corridors has a lot to do with it.
Transit is better in Montreal?? Are you kidding? Have you waited for a bus in Montreal recently? Even with the recent service increase, the service is very infrequent compared to Toronto.

Many routes that I remember as being quite frequent in the 1980s, are only once every 30-minutes or even once every 50-minutes.

Even the Metro trains can be a 10-minute wait!

^ I should clarify...the subway network is better. You have admitted it's better distributed throughout the city compared to the TTC's subway network.

It really isn't important who has the biggest transit system. The only important thing is that all of Canada's large urban centres have plans being worked on or on the burners. A lot of people talk of Madrid and how much that system has expanded since the '80's. I think that old system has expanded more since the 80's then the size of Toronto's whole system. But Madrid isn't the only city in Spain to get this kind of treatment, Barcelona, Valencia and Bilbao also got some major league investments in their own systems. Some smaller cities in Spain also have system that would put relative Canadian cities systems to shame. I am just glad to hear that Montreal is going (I am trying to stay positive) to get funding for its own plans.

I hope some of Canada's smaller urban centre get this investment as well such as expanding Edmonton's line or adding a second line, Calgary system gets expanded as well, Winnipeg starts one. I just hope that Montreal puts together a really good proposal and the Feds and Provincial Govt go for. Go Montreal!

The Montreal Metro is awful - terrible frequency, the stations are in a horrible state of disrepair, the trains are very old, and everything is completely overcrowded.

^ I should clarify...the subway network is better. You have admitted it's better distributed throughout the city compared to the TTC's subway network.

Not even...

All Montreal has that is better is art, its cleaner...

Toronto subway has a better coverage of the city.

The green line does not include Pointe-Au-Trembles in the far east and stop at Lasalle in the west ignoring Lachine and the rest of the West Island who have very poor service where Bus have to the highway to go to the subway.
Bloor-Danforth and RT goes from Scarborough to Etobicoke.

The only thing Montreal has is a true North crosstown (the Blue line)

The subway trains in Toronto runs more frequently than in Montreal and the bus Service is superior in every way here and we have streetcars with future LRT.

I said Montreal would have the largest SUBWAY network, not better but bigger.

Last edited:
I said Montreal would have the largest SUBWAY network, not better but bigger.

If it's not going to be better then why even compare? Why the alarmism if they are a few kms longer than Toronto's network but service is that bad....that still leave Toronto on top then in my books.

I'll admit that I have only used the system as a tourist and I haven't found it all that bad. Maybe I'd have a different perspective if I lived there I suppose.

Yeah, the Montreal metro has serious gaps in its service that makes Toronto still have the better subway system, even if it isn't as dense in its coverage.

Not sure whether you should read into this any further, but it seems like English parts of the city are woefully underserviced: Mile End, NDG and the urban strip of Westmount along Sherbrooke are a good hike from metro stations and the frequency of bus services in Montreal frankly sucks.

That said, Toronto has the best public transit system in Canada, so far, but other cities are quickly closing the gap (not Montreal). Vancouver's TransLink, for example, gets noticeably better every time I go there.

If it's not going to be better then why even compare? Why the alarmism if they are a few kms longer than Toronto's network but service is that bad....that still leave Toronto on top then in my books.

I'll admit that I have only used the system as a tourist and I haven't found it all that bad. Maybe I'd have a different perspective if I lived there I suppose.

I wasn't panicking. I wanted people to realize that the excuses our city councilors are serving us to justify the death of Sheppard East and the DRL & Sheppard West delay is garbage. No Mississauga Stations at Square One.Montreal is very poor and Quebec as well but still they can extend the network by 30%. I made this as a wake up call.

TTC is the 3rd largest transit in North America... It's like Boston having more subways than New York. Its not competition but common sense. We have almost twice the population but were gonna be 2KM behind and our city is bigger... Numbers don't lie. This picture is wrong.

I hope this influence the votes if we get a pro-Subway candidate instead of Subway killer Miller + Mr. (DRL can wait) Giambrone.

For the 2nd part.

The subway is very fast and it got better when I moved out of the city. Off peak, you could wait 10 minutes for a subway now they cut it down to 5 minutes...3 years ago I think...

One thing I like about Toronto's system that my old home town of Vancouver could learn from or my birthplace of Montreal could copy as well is the way the subway station's have nice sheltered bus bays a lot of the times. Not every station is this well designed but a lot of stations here in TO you don't have to leave the station to catch the bus, it makes it a little more comfortable to make a transfer on one of our cold winter nights- or whenever the weather is not so agreeable. In fact the person in charge of the Piccadilly Line in London, England was here in Toronto earlier this year or late last year and complimented us on the design of our bus/subway stations. I think a comfortable to tranfer design would help any system increase it's ridership.

Yeah, the Montreal metro has serious gaps in its service that makes Toronto still have the better subway system, even if it isn't as dense in its coverage.

Not sure whether you should read into this any further, but it seems like English parts of the city are woefully underserviced: Mile End, NDG and the urban strip of Westmount along Sherbrooke are a good hike from metro stations and the frequency of bus services in Montreal frankly sucks.

That said, Toronto has the best public transit system in Canada, so far, but other cities are quickly closing the gap (not Montreal). Vancouver's TransLink, for example, gets noticeably better every time I go there.

Ottawa seems to be heading toward the right direction too

http://ottawa.ca/residents/public_consult/transit_tunnel/06mar09_fr.pdf

English
http://city.ottawa.on.ca/residents/public_consult/transit_tunnel/interim/technical_briefing_en.pdf

Last edited:

Anglophones are too rich to bother with mass transit.

Subways don't run in the middle of the street stopping at traffic lights.

lol

no matter how hard they try, these 'euro-style LRT' fans just cannot counter that, because they know it's true. The fundamental flaw of 'LRT', and it cannot be circumvented. And unless you can FULLY ***SEGREGATE*** the ROW from roads or interestions, it's not going to work. Oh, and BTW, when it's -20 and windy and blowing snow, I take comfort in getting to wait in an underground station where I'm pretty damn sure I'm not going to be waiting for more than 5 minutes, and I'm not going to have to wait at traffic lights on my way home.

Fast. Convenient. Reliable and conscious of REALITY, rather than FANATICAL IDEALISMS OF PERVERSE UNREALISTIC FETISHES.

Back