News   May 06, 2024
 467     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 515     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 1.4K     1 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Amazing stuff.

Obviously, many of the "before" pics look better than the "after". But I was surprised by how many "afters" looked improved - especially in the near west/waterfront area.

Some of those early pics looked spooky and apocalyptic...coal blackened nightmares. The black and white may have added to that I guess. The Victorians had great architecture but living and working conditions for most people were pretty nasty.

If anyone is interested in the Kings Highways of Ontario look at: http://www.thekingshighway.ca/

Good grief, that's pretty comprehensive.

Amazing stuff.

Obviously, many of the "before" pics look better than the "after". But I was surprised by how many "afters" looked improved - especially in the near west/waterfront area.

Some of those early pics looked spooky and apocalyptic...coal blackened nightmares. The black and white may have added to that I guess. The Victorians had great architecture but living and working conditions for most people were pretty nasty.

Agreed. The 19th century Toronto waterfront was garbage strewn. And, old architecture aside, some of the slice-of-life photos of Victorian life in Toronto show suffering and want. But the well off were as well off as any period in history. The Toronto archive pictures of the Eaton family in their commercial heyday in the 10s,20s and 30s show a group of people in poses and activities very secure with themselves.

Feb 22 and 23 additions

Kendal Square. Now Jean Sibelius Park. Kendal Avenue, just south of Dupont.

ser372_ss0052_s0372_ss0052_it0176.jpg

DSCF0258.jpg

Linnsmore and Danforth. NW corner.

1298danforthEofgreenwood.jpg

DSCF0273-1.jpg

DSCF0275-1.jpg

Neat shot. I always wondered if that front part was a more recent addition. Wonder if that original building continues behind that addition.

Thanks thedeepend, androiduk and Jayomatic.

Notice in the old pic there is a fur business sign in the second floor window of the south west corner building, and all these years later someone is still carrying on a fur business in the same building. Wonder what's up with that?

Feb 25 addition.

Bloor, about 300 yds east of Yonge, N side.
Moulton College

fo1568_f1568_it0194.jpg

DSCF0271-1.jpg

Well Mustapha, I think out of all your before & afters so far, this one has stirred the most negative emotion. The idyllic scene in the before, contrasting with the bunker that exists now leaves one speechless as to how this can happen. I know that cities have to change and progress, etc. but sometimes they should just leave things alone.

Last edited:
at least there's still a curve above the entranceway that mimics the old building. :eek:

Though keep in mind that Moulton College wasn't demolished *for* HBC. (When *was* it demolished? Given the location, was it for the subway?)

Also helps elucidate that enigmatic historical plaque along the Bay's W wall...

Well Mustapha, I think out of all your before & afters so far, this one has stirred the most negative emotion. The idyllic scene in the before, contrasting with the bunker that exists now leaves one speechless as to how this can happen. I know that cities have to change and progress, etc. but sometimes they should just leave things alone.

androiduk, I would have given a digit to have even been able to swipe a piece of the iron fence before demolition.:eek:

Feb 26 addition:

Eastern and Morse NW corner.

fo1257_ser1057_f1257_s1057_it0539.jpg

DSCF0255-1.jpg

This place has had a rowdy history. Look it up; I dare ya.
http://www.uer.ca/locations/show.asp?locid=24934

!

androiduk, I would have given a digit to have even been able to swipe a piece of the iron fence before demolition. Mustapha

If your into old fences, go to the SW corner of Gloucester (my street) & Church. A small piece of fence of similar vintage has somehow managed to survive. Even better, go to the rear of Knox College on St. George where there's an old gate & fence that few people ever see.

So much clutter in front now. Glad the building's still around though the old windows were much nicer. Mustapha, thank you for all your efforts with this amazing thread.

Back