News   Apr 26, 2024
 458     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 357     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 552     0 

News on retail chains (was: New Mall Retail)

Didn't Gap have an outlet orginally in the Cookstown Mfr outlet mall (Hwy 400 and 89)about 10 years ago and then in Woodbridge at Hwy 7 and Weston about 5-6 years ago. Both of which closed a few years after opening...

Yeah, there was a Gap Outlet in Plaza del Sol (!) at Hwy 7/400 years ago, but it closed quite a while back...

Um does anyone still shop at Gap?

They certainly lost their edge faster than you can say tweeenie generation.

It wasn't that long ago that button down and chinos were hot. Remember how cool their commercials - with big band music and swing dancing - were?

Remember Eddie Bauer? Everyone was in cord pants and flannel shirts for awhile there.

Isn't fashion in anything - clothes, or the fashionable/unfashionable cycle that can overtake architecture - all equally absurd? After all, what's fashionable has no automatic connection to aesthetics or good design. The idea that we mustn't shop at the Gap is just a mirror image of the idea that we must shop there - and it is a mug's game.

After all, what's fashionable has no automatic connection to aesthetics or [/I] good design.[/I]The idea that we mustn't shop at the Gap is just a mirror image of the idea that we must shop there - and it is a mug's game.

You forgot good construction. :) I'm trying to think of a Toronto area clothing store that has more or less carried on an unchanged business model that has weathered fickle dame fashion; the only thing that comes to mind is Stollery's. Certainly an institution in this city, been there since what, the 1920s? I don't even know if their customers are even local anymore. One never sees duffle coats - that was the place to get them - a coat that was heavy and not warm at the same time. And the prosperous younger crowd are at The Coop up here in North Toronto or at Harry Rosen, and not necessarily better though certainly more expensively dressed.

Yeah, there was a Gap Outlet in Plaza del Sol (!) at Hwy 7/400 years ago, but it closed quite a while back...

I always loved the name of that plaza... multicultural cheese. It's actually named "Piazza Del Sole". I had a coworker who worked in one of the stores there. She said that they had been asked on multiple occasions why the strip mall was named after fish.

Yorkdale and tiffany's

yorkdale is getting a Tiffany's and Co.
OMFG. NO!!!! what happened to exclusiveness!
i prefer a single elegant yorkville location.

Toronto Eaton Cnetre is getting BENCH

The space formerly known as JJ Muggs is no more. They've completely ripped everything out, including the exterior walls. Nothing remains other than the support columns for 1 Dundas St W above.

It's slightly surreal... a little bit of Beirut at Yonge and Dundas.

A year for that? Seems like a long time given that it's not that big a space, and the structure is already there.

I could see an American chain setting up there, maybe a Cheesecake Factory or something of the sort

Back