News   Apr 18, 2024
 573     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.3K     4 

RBC Centre (LEED Gold, CadFair, 41s, KPF/B+H/&Co.) COMPLETE

I'd wait a bit before reaching a conclusion on the bare concrete.

There's a very good chance it'll get covered up so that it does look white as in the rendering. Regarding the glass though, that is a shame.

it's for the sadists who like to watch office fires.

I don't know about you guys, but from this perspective it looks like that gap in the Lantern is permenant...

3219024449_f431bfd37c_b.jpg

from gorbould at www.flickr.com

I think the gap is permanent. Which is stupid because it wasn't shown that way in the renderings and it looks ridiculous. I am not going to go and say it's ruined the whole building for me, or some overstatement like so many people aim to make, BUT I have to say it literally chops off a piece of the "flow" of the design.

And from the above view, it REALLY ruins the flow of the design.

I guess we'll see! On one hand it seems weird that they wouldn't have put the middle section of the lantern up by now-- but on the other hand, it seems strange for them to just remove a feature that was part of the architect's "original" final design.

I guess we'll see! On one hand it seems weird that they wouldn't have put the middle section of the lantern up by now-- but on the other hand, it seems strange for them to just remove a feature that was part of the architect's "original" final design.

I too would rather have the lantern "complete", but I question whether you've seen the architect's working drawings and if you actually know what the "orginal" design was and how the lantern was incorporated (I wouldn't judge based on a very steep angle based on a rendering that KPF may not have done in house)... actually if I recall correctly the original plan was for a 49 floor tower.

Go back several posts - closeup shots of the lantern; there appear to be at least three or four vertical bars (for lack of a better explanation) stacked up on either side of the gap, almost an accordian effect. Which to me, looks they might roll out those bars and finish the gap.

And like others have said, let's just wait until the thing is finished before we pile on any negative comments.

The construction of these buildings to the south has certainly altered the vista for those who promenade within Roy Thomson Hall on concert nights. No more views across open space to the CN Tower, for instance. But the view to the north, across the sunken water garden to the busy street life and traffic on King, remains as delightful as ever.

Perhaps they need that gap in the lantern open right now to lift equipment easier onto the roof. I suspect the gap will be closed soon, as the lantern is already being clad in glass.

Why on Earth would they not close the lantern, or have LEDs that only run up 6 floors? These notions make so little sense that it amazes me that people are actually discussing them as possibilities.

The capacity for this board to tranform impatience into mass hysteria is frustrating. It's the reason that countless unfounded rumours about projects get started.

I'm not being impatient at all. In fact, I am one of the people who feels that the LED's will probably run all the way up the building eventually.

However, it seems puzzling that they would put up the two side sections of the lantern at a different time than the middle section. Therefore, speculation is reasonable.

Chill.

Last edited:
Go back several posts - closeup shots of the lantern; there appear to be at least three or four vertical bars (for lack of a better explanation) stacked up on either side of the gap, almost an accordian effect. Which to me, looks they might roll out those bars and finish the gap.

And like others have said, let's just wait until the thing is finished before we pile on any negative comments.

With apologies to 000.

topoz3fw6.png

Back