News   May 17, 2024
 1.4K     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 890     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 7.4K     9 

General railway discussions

I just saw on the news that Domtar is shutting down its pulp and paper mill in Espanola. In addition to being devastating to the community (a mill has been there in one form or another for over a century), it will no doubt have a significant impact on the viability of the Huron Central Railway.

This was visible from a mile away. If anything, it's a wake up call for government to not to invest in the private sector. Investing even a penny into Huron Central was an absolute farce. Just looking at the facts and volumes, it is abundantly clear that there shouldn't be a rail line between Sudbury and Sault Ste. Marie. Next time, we should just let the rail line get pulled up. It isn't needed. What little volume remains is more than at home on trucks.

It's even worse when you remember that government kicked in major money to upgrade the pulp mill a few years ago.

I saw this posted today.

From the above, the map of the integrated service:

1694464349520.png

So CN Picks-up KC and Atlanta in its network under this deal; w hile NS gets access to much of Canada as well as Milwaukee. CN also gains access to a second corridor from Detroit to Chicago.

Transport Canada's report into the CN derailment/bridge collapse near Kingston is still not out, but CBC got access to some of it, and, well.........

From the above:

View attachment 506284

View attachment 506286

And more...
So goes much of the self-governing Safety Management System, not just with rail. If the regulator ever sees or actually reads an industry's safety report, it seems the response, if any, is to wag a finger, maybe write a memo.

So goes much of the self-governing Safety Management System, not just with rail. If the regulator ever sees or actually reads an industry's safety report, it seems the response, if any, is to wag a finger, maybe write a memo.

Slap on the wrist is so common in this country, what a joke.

Screenshot_2023-09-25_175012.jpg

View attachment 509110

Interesting concept. I foresee a regulatory black hole.

Interesting concept. I foresee a regulatory black hole.

I foresee endless signalling issues. Didn't a recent plan for VIA to reactivate a route using the old Budd self-propelled cars fail because single cars weren't reliably tripping the crossing gates during testing?

Back