News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 460     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

My example was about the lakeshore west line. Also the trains in 2020 were 6 cars for the barrie line
The Lakeshore West Line is also by far the busiest line on the network, serving a much larger portion of the GTHA's population, so unless you want to suggest that the people of York Region are avid transit enthusiasts, meanwhile the people of Burlington, Oakville, and southern mississauga are dull white collar workers who refuse to go anywhere other than they rush hour commutes, I'd suggest that you might have a sample bias problem. Also I thought we were talking about 2022, not 2020. Back in 2020, the RH line ran 4 car trains, the numbers have changed since then.

The Lakeshore West Line is also by far the busiest line on the network, serving a much larger portion of the GTHA's population, so unless you want to suggest that the people of York Region are avid transit enthusiasts, meanwhile the people of Burlington, Oakville, and southern mississauga are dull white collar workers who refuse to go anywhere other than they rush hour commutes, I'd suggest that you might have a sample bias problem. Also I thought we were talking about 2022, not 2020. Back in 2020, the RH line ran 4 car trains, the numbers have changed since then.
I take the lakeshore west line at least twice a week at night. That's the busiest line, if the trains are mostly empty I don't see the other lines with way less population being busy enough to justify tens of billions to expropriate a line for the sake of adding more off peak trips!

I take the lakeshore west line at least twice a week at night. That's the busiest line, if the trains are mostly empty I don't see the other lines with way less population being busy enough to justify tens of billions to expropriate a line for the sake of adding more off peak trips!
Now I understand your logic. You have your own line so you don’t want to spend on anyone else’s. Got it.

You're still not understanding that the plural of anecdote isn't data.

Now I understand your logic. You have your own line so you don’t want to spend on anyone else’s. Got it.
Please don't attack my character out of nowhere. This also makes no sense, I don't benefit from any of the transit projects in the GTA but I'm happy with the ones we have planned.
Buying the Milton line would be several billion! How many additional riders would we get?

It's a terrible idea financially.

Please don't attack my character out of nowhere. This also makes no sense, I don't benefit from any of the transit projects in the GTA but I'm happy with the ones we have planned.
Buying the Milton line would be several billion! How many additional riders would we get?

Am I allowed to attack what’s your idea of good or bad financial spending. Will that be less offensive?

Your character? All I'm saying is that you can't rely on anecdotes to determine how busy an existing line is off peak since GO actually collects data on this stuff. There was even a table posted a few pages back:

I don't understand this perspective. How can one advocate for extending subways anywhere in the burbs and think being able to put in place frequent all-day service on the Milton Line is a waste of money. The Milton Line could be upgraded to near-subway level of service, with infill stations to drive intensification. If we just put in 30 minute all-day service, I'd agree it is questionable.

I don't understand this perspective. How can one advocate for extending subways anywhere in the burbs and think being able to put in place frequent all-day service on the Milton Line is a waste of money. The Milton Line could be upgraded to near-subway level of service, with infill stations to drive intensification. If we just put in 30 minute all-day service, I'd agree it is questionable.
What I gather is the person thinks all day subway service is important be because people use the subway off peak but all day go train service doesn’t really help too many people. Let’s just close all the other go lines during the day and see how that goes over.

Apparently parallel service between a sheppard subway, eglinton lrt and danforth subway makes sense. But a go line between the lakeshore and Kitchener line is a white elephant.

Your character? All I'm saying is that you can't rely on anecdotes to determine how busy an existing line is off peak since GO actually collects data on this stuff. There was even a table posted a few pages back:

sixrings said "Now I understand your logic. You have your own line so you don’t want to spend on anyone else’s. Got it."

Am I allowed to attack what’s your idea of good or bad financial spending. Will that be less offensive?
Because you're not putting words in my mouth or questioning my motives.
What I gather is the person thinks all day subway service is important be because people use the subway off peak but all day go train service doesn’t really help too many people. Let’s just close all the other go lines during the day and see how that goes over.

Apparently parallel service between a sheppard subway, eglinton lrt and danforth subway makes sense. But a go line between the lakeshore and Kitchener line is a white elephant.
Every single project that we go forward with means we can't do a different one. How many billions is off peak service worth? Would that money be better spent on a new LRT elsewhere?

sixrings said "Now I understand your logic. You have your own line so you don’t want to spend on anyone else’s. Got it."

Because you're not putting words in my mouth or questioning my motives.

Every single project that we go forward with means we can't do a different one. How many billions is off peak service worth? Would that money be better spent on a new LRT elsewhere?
Your last line is exactly what I say when I question other projects, mainly the Sheppard Subway extension vs the Sheppard East LRT. It is exactly what I said when we decided to bury the Danforth extension instead of upgrading the SRT. It is also what I said about the Eglinton West underground LRT. I have even expressed that when referring to the Gardiner take down or rebuild. I have been consistent that a network is important and should be done cost effectively. Apparently most people did not agree as we are building everything over built and we have saved the Gariner. Yet the Milton line is magically the line where we draw the line in the sand. For me I dont accept that.

am suggesting joint CP/CN operation of a single corridor parallel to Lake Ontario from just west of where the mainlines come in to Toronto from the west, thus freeing up one corridor to be passenger-priority. (not exclusive)
Who does the maintenance, who does the RTC? CN RTC Edmonton or CPKC RTC Calgary?

They can barely get the directional running zone between Parry Sound and St Cloud to work without screwing each other over.

Who does the maintenance, who does the RTC? CN RTC Edmonton or CPKC RTC Calgary?

They can barely get the directional running zone between Parry Sound and St Cloud to work without screwing each other over.

Again, they made it work for years with TTR (the USRC); I don't think its that complicated. They also do directional running out west out of the Port of Vancouver all the way to Kelowna.

Just because they're a bit sloppy in the near-north doesn't mean it can be done easily and effectively.

Again, they made it work for years with TTR (the USRC); I don't think its that complicated. They also do directional running out west out of the Port of Vancouver all the way to Kelowna.

Just because they're a bit sloppy in the near-north doesn't mean it can be done easily and effectively.
In theory it should work, but in my experience both like to screw each other over... I.e being held for 14 hours on the Lambton transfer job to wait for a train still at Mactier

Back