News   Apr 17, 2024
 252     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 269     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.7K     1 

GO Transit Fleet Equipment and other

You know, here's a thought.

What if the new locomotives will be an entirely new class of locomotive?

I mean all 3 of GO's current locos, F59s, MP40s, and MP54s were specifically ordered first by GO, and did not exist before that.

I mean GO is what, the third largest rail customer in North America at this point? And honestly, by the time GO Expansion is done, I wouldn't be surprised if it's the single largest commuter rail system on the continent. It can make some hefty demands of manufacturers.

The thing is though a lot of people were thinking in terms of locomotives that already exist with no modifications.

I am starting to think that GO going with an entirely new class of loco may be more likely as Siemens is incredibly backlogged with Charger production and the F125 has been problematic in Metrolink's roster.

^Let’s not overthink this one.

I’m sure ML has the brains to anticipate likely lead times, and will likely be specifying a delivery window in its tender spec.

We may not learn ML’s strategy until the successful bidder and model is announced.

Sometimes it’s better to wait until you open the present, and be surprised, than to keep shaking it and trying to guess.

- Paul

Refurbished GO cab 212 looks like it is heading south. Credit Patrick McKie.

3E06C33F-0C74-434D-86DD-60E3A85976B4.jpeg

Last week on separate days both the Stouffville and the Lakeshore Lines were exclusively using old cab cars, almost all trains had them for a day each.
Could GO possibly be doing that purposely to get crews used to operating the old cab cars again?

Last week on separate days both the Stouffville and the Lakeshore Lines were exclusively using old cab cars, almost all trains had them for a day each.
Could GO possibly be doing that purposely to get crews used to operating the old cab cars again?
GO has been operating 6 of the 7 remaining old cab cars pretty regularly on the Lakeshore and Milton lines since June 2022, (252-257, with 251 being OOS since September 2021 due to a mechanical issue). I doubt that's the reason.

GO has been operating 6 of the 7 remaining old cab cars pretty regularly on the Lakeshore and Milton lines since June 2022, (252-257, with 251 being OOS since September 2021 due to a mechanical issue). I doubt that's the reason.
I know that, but two days specifically last week they only used the old cab cars, that’s not regular. Going eastbound on the Lakeshore West last week, my train (with an old cab car) passed at least 4 other trains with old cab cars, that’s not ordinary and is a pretty hard coincidence.

Last edited:
I know that, but two days specifically last week they only used the old cab cars, that’s not regular. Going eastbound on the Lakeshore West last week, my train (with an old cab car) passed 5 other trains with old cab cars, that’s not ordinary and is a pretty hard coincidence.
I have seen instances where 6 old cab cars are all on the Lakeshore at one time, I think the coincidence just happens to be seeing them all in a row.

Same. I seen mostly old cabs which is awesome!

Looks as though 212 was left at Mac and did not get sent to Aldershot for further delivery to Willowbrook.

I have to wonder whether GO may not be entirely satisfied with the work that has been done on them, considering 206 still has not entered any sort of service since it arrived in November. The same thing happened with the MP40s when they were first delivered back in 2007.

Looks as though 212 was left at Mac and did not get sent to Aldershot for further delivery to Willowbrook.

I have to wonder whether GO may not be entirely satisfied with the work that has been done on them, considering 206 still has not entered any sort of service since it arrived in November. The same thing happened with the MP40s when they were first delivered back in 2007.
It might not be that, I'm sure there is a process to accept anything that has been modified.
You need to do static testing, perform training for crews, maintenance people and even cleaners.
And then create procedures and manuals.

Before being accepted into service they need to ensure everything is perfect. The last thing you want is for it to enter service and nobody knows what to do in order to fix it.

Back