News   May 23, 2024
 101     0 
News   May 22, 2024
 876     1 
News   May 22, 2024
 700     1 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

I have a bird's eye view of King/University from a nearby office tower and is it ever a huge excavation they are doing now. The watermain break must have caused absolutely huge damage.

I'd say that intersection is out of commission at least until Friday, and that's assuming they are working 24 hours per day. I'm pretty sure they are ripping up everything down to the roof of the subway and then completely replacing it all.

Watch the 504 be on diversion until 2024 pending repairs to the track.

I have a bird's eye view of King/University from a nearby office tower and is it ever a huge excavation they are doing now. The watermain break must have caused absolutely huge damage.

I'd say that intersection is out of commission at least until Friday, and that's assuming they are working 24 hours per day. I'm pretty sure they are ripping up everything down to the roof of the subway and then completely replacing it all.

A bird-eye picture would be appreciated, if feasible.

I don't exactly know why but it seems Yonge and Bloor is a major hub for a lot of harassment by those who are mentally unstable and the homeless. Is there a reason why they are congregating here? I literally just watched the guy in front of me on the escalator turn his head and spit at the lady walking down the stairs. This being mid-day! They're getting more brazen.

Also other points of problems: Finch, Sheppard, Dundas-Queen, St. Andrew and Spadina.
My best guess for Finch is due to the big Willowdale homeless shelter which reaches capacity and leads to at least a dozen or more who choose to camp out in the station.

Last edited:
A bird-eye picture would be appreciated, if feasible.
i tried, but unfortunately there's too much reflection on the glass to get anything visible. That particular side of the office doesn't have lights you can turn off without turning off ALL the lights.

Maybe you can make out something here.

IMG_20230124_132245.jpg

I highly doubt TTC was part of the negotiation or contract signing between Crosslinx and ML. The TTC simply would be handed the bill from ML.
There's a separate contract between TTC and Metrolinx. Multiple contracts actually.

I'm sure TTC is good, given the history of TTC being able to enforce their contracts in court, and Metrolinx failing.

Nothing stopping the province over-riding the contract though.

Looks like another unprovoked knife attack! Another case of some crazy person went nuts and stabbed some poor innocent person. That could have been you or me or any other TTC rider. Scary sh**

Four 13-year-old boys have been charged in connection with a "swarming" attack on board a TTC bus in Scarborough.

Is there no such thing as parenting anymore?

Looks like another unprovoked knife attack! Another case of some crazy person went nuts and stabbed some poor innocent person. That could have been you or me or any other TTC rider. Scary sh**

It is a serious concern.

Four 13-year-old boys have been charged in connection with a "swarming" attack on board a TTC bus in Scarborough.

Good! (that they are charged); several more should see the same.

Is there no such thing as parenting anymore?

There were swarming attacks in greater numbers 30 years ago. Every generation laments 'Kids these days' or 'Where are the parents'.

While in some cases, no doubt, bad/negligent parenting may be a factor; it has been ever so.

I don't think there is any indication its worse now than a generation prior. After all, the homicide rate and shootings are not only at 5-year lows, but much lower today than they were when most UT'ers were young adults!

Which is not to in anyway minimize the current spate of incidents, particularly on the TTC; which seems to be some mixture of mental illness, along with some mal-adjusted teens and their would-be copycats.

We need most of all need to address the mental illness side of things with far more treatment available at no-cost, virtually on-demand (no deferring needed intervention); with greater outreach to those that may need help.

For the mal adjusted teens, enforcement with some meaningful consequences is in order; and if there is any evidence of one particular social media platform or one or two particular high schools where things are uniquely out of hand, then appropriate intervention is required.

I vaguely recall something, but not with a death toll.

I think there's only been the one, unfortunate soul, the homeless fellow, this time. (who has died, associated with a swarming attack), so I think its important not to create a trend out of that.

Any good examples?

I'm on my way out the door, but I quickly found this piece on the 'golden age' of swarming, discussing Toronto in 1989.

This CBC piece from 2005 quotes Toronto police as saying there were 6 swarming attacks per day in 1999:

It also notes that such attacks did involve the death of a Newmarket teen among others; as well as the famous case of Reena Virk out in Vancouver.

Interesting. We've only had 2 major ones that I'm aware of in recent times.

Probably a red herring. Most can probably agree that something is up on the streets and on TTC - and I think if we removed the swarming incidents, most would probably agree something is up!

Back