News   May 03, 2024
 895     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 554     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 268     0 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
And are establishments like this going to impress and draw tourists with sophisticated tastes (read: money) from abroad? In other words, what do they contribute to the city besides expanding waistlines?

Yeah, I've been to Boston Pizza in Mississauga and Oakville. That's why I said "pizza-themed," but I don't know why you'd bother with the rest of the menu. Expensive drinks, bland/starchy food, and appealing to the minivan-driving family of four. *Smacks forehead* What was I thinking? It's perfect for downtown Toronto!

Being a downtown snob, I just don't see a place for that kind of restaurant downtown. Then again, I didn't see a place for Jack Astors or Milestones either, but it turns out 905ers don't really come downtown for a change of scene at all (my logical assumption was, "why bother leaving the suburbs for this?")

There is room for all kinds of restaurants downtown. As someone pointed out, if TGIF, etc. is good enough for Manhattan I don't see why the likes of Jack Astors and Boston Pizza shouldn't be downtown.

Yeah, that's a good point. And it's not like they're moving into King/Queen West or Yorkville.

I suppose we can coexist in peace... FOR NOW.

The name has always baffled me. Why would a Canadian company call themselves Boston Pizza? I read that the owner thought it was "major league" and liked Boston sports teams, but it's still and odd choice.

I guess it should make it easier for them to survive in the US though.

Boston Pizza? I tried to go there once, but this guy kept taking my pizza...

howie.jpg

Isn't there a large Italian-American community in Boston, in the north end? Maybe that's where the pizza comes from? Likely about as authentic as East Side Mario's is but who really thinks these things through that much?

Isn't there a large Italian-American community in Boston, in the north end? Maybe that's where the pizza comes from? Likely about as authentic as East Side Mario's is but who really thinks these things through that much?

I don't know about anyone else, but I've never associated Boston with pizza. I guess a lot of people do now.

There's no Boston Pizza in Boston. There are no New York Fries in New York. There's no Montana's in Montana. Canadian restaurant naming convention involves a dartboard and a map of the US, apparently.

You'll never guess where I spotted a Boston Pizza, serving the finest of Master Chef Boyardee's menu - Merida, Mexico. Weird.

I don't mind Jack Astor's - nothing wrong with big chains downtown, after all, and it isn't bad as far as the Canadian answers to TGI Friday/Ruby Tuesday/Bennigan's go.

The old Odeon Carlton cinemas looked so British. I know it was an Odeon.

I went to see 'Diamonds are Forever' there. Miss the place. That said, the 'sightlines' in the new theatres are nicer - if someone tall sits in front; no big deal.

I remember the smoking that was allowed in theatres. Horrible - sitting there while the guy behind you blew smoke around your ears.

I went to see 'Diamonds are Forever' there. Miss the place. That said, the 'sightlines' in the new theatres are nicer - if someone tall sits in front; no big deal.

I remember the smoking that was allowed in theatres. Horrible - sitting there while the guy behind you blew smoke around your ears.

Very British. Smoking would look out of place in newer theatres nowadays because of city bylaws. People still smoke in the washroom stalls though.

Back