News   Mar 28, 2024
 76     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 219     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 2.2K     1 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Yes this is what I'm referring to. Verster said they would build a mainline platform. A practical meeting point is also needed for two way service since Georgetown is a half hour east of the passing track under construction in Guelph
A passing loop (second track) and second platform in Acton are part of the next “package” for the Guelph Sub. Agree that more in Georgetown is needed too, along with the Silver Grade separation.

A passing loop (second track) and second platform in Acton are part of the next “package” for the Guelph Sub. Agree that more in Georgetown is needed too, along with the Silver Grade separation.
Yes, have we heard anything about that package? I'm curious to see if they include a second platform at Acton and Breslau stations. Personally I'd just build the sidings without second platforms to keep costs down and get bidirectional service running as soon as posssible. Even without second platforms, the stations could still have hourly stopping services in both directions, with trains meeting at Guelph and Georgetown. The second train per hour during peak periods would operate express, skipping Acton and Breslau. VIA trains of course skip those stations regardless.

Second platforms could always be added at a later date if there is a desire to stop more than one train per hour at those minor stations.

Yes, have we heard anything about that package? I'm curious to see if they include a second platform at Acton and Breslau stations. Personally I'd just build the sidings without second platforms to keep costs down and get bidirectional service running as soon as posssible. Even without second platforms, the stations could still have hourly stopping services in both directions, with trains meeting at Guelph and Georgetown. The second train per hour during peak periods would operate express, skipping Acton and Breslau. VIA trains of course skip those stations regardless.

Second platforms could always be added at a later date if there is a desire to stop more than one train per hour at those minor stations.
Breslau GO is not part of the Kitchener Expansion project, its a standalone station awaiting funding (sadly).

They really ought to change that like they're doing with Lincolnville/Old Elm.

One suspects that they do intend to do that, but until the new line construction details are finalised it would be poor use of money to enhance the current signalling if the track configuration will be changed shortly.

- Paul

Breslau GO is not part of the Kitchener Expansion project, its a standalone station awaiting funding (sadly).
Sure, but the question still stands. The Breslau siding itself is already under construction, but when the station does eventually get built they will need to choose whether to build both platforms from day one or just the north one. Anyway, I thought that the station was supposed to be funded by the developer of the massive greenfield site just north of the proposed station?

One suspects that they do intend to do that, but until the new line construction details are finalised it would be poor use of money to enhance the current signalling if the track configuration will be changed shortly.

- Paul
Metrolinx awarded engineering consultant R J Burnside a contract to design the revised station layout in November 2021 but the only sign of progress I've seen was some surveying at the site earlier this year. There's been no public consultation although the basic layout, from 2009 work is an island platform with a new accessible tunnel about 100m east of the current one.

1670345476637.png

Accessibility is indeed a limiting factor for Georgetown. If the current station were fully accessible, eastbound trains could use the south platform as I described earlier, which would enable a reliable meet between the two directions of service for only the cost of some asphalt platform extensions.
b2-jpg.355837

But this wouldn't be viable until there's an accessible connection between the north and south sides of the station, which there currently isn't. And we wouldn't want to build any new elevators until we know what the final layout of the station will be.

Accessibility is indeed a limiting factor for Georgetown. If the current station were fully accessible, eastbound trains could use the south platform as I described earlier, which would enable a reliable meet between the two directions of service for only the cost of some asphalt platform extensions.
b2-jpg.355837

But this wouldn't be viable until there's an accessible connection between the north and south sides of the station, which there currently isn't. And we wouldn't want to build any new elevators until we know what the final layout of the station will be.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t the yard track that serves the north platform that currently deadends recently (matter of weeks) get connected into the mainline? That would help a lot. New track in red below.

58D5B547-7E40-4853-9ABF-4F8ABEE0A84D.jpeg

Last edited:
Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t the yard track that serves the north platform that currently deadends recently (matter of weeks) get connected into the mainline? That would help a lot. New track in red below.

Haven’t been following changes there lately, but even if that switch is back (it existed in older times as a manually controlled switch) the signalled territory begins immediately west of it. Unless CN upgrades it to a power switch, and signals the two platform tracks, the Rule 105 zone at the platforms remains and that forces operation at reduced speed from the eastward signal at Silver all the way to the platform stop.

But yes, being able to use both those tracks for through moves would definitely improve throughput and create a minimal passing capability.

- Paul

The most recent GO schedules only run to January 6th. Anyone have insights on how GO’s (Alstom) engineer training is going? Any chance we could get some of the many rumoured service increases in the early new year?

The most recent GO schedules only run to January 6th. Anyone have insights on how GO’s (Alstom) engineer training is going? Any chance we could get some of the many rumoured service increases in the early new year?
It feels like with the recent increase it’s already beginning, no?

It feels like with the recent increase it’s already beginning, no?
It absolutely does. Clearly GO has enough staff to run lots of trains at the same time (rush hour). We’ve had lots of rumours of new services in this thread, such as: weekend Mount Pleasant to Union hourly, Bramalea to Union half hourly, sporadic weekend Kitchener service, West Harbour half hourly, and a return of 15 min service on the LSW and LSE lines (Oakville to Pickering).

We also heard rumours of some sort of limited all day service on the Milton and Richmond Hill lines pre-COVID.

I hope some of these rumours translate to real world service soon. Maybe they're just rumours, time will tell!

Last edited:
It absolutely does. Clearly GO has enough staff to run lots of trains at the same time (rush hour). We’ve had lots of rumours of new services in this thread, such as: weekend Mount Pleasant to Union hourly, Bramalea to Union half hourly, sporadic weekend Kitchener service, West Harbour half hourly, and a return of 15 min service on the LSW and LSE lines (Oakville to Pickering).

We also heard rumours of some sort of limited all day service on the Milton and Richmond Hill lines pre-COVID.

I hope some of these rumours translate to real world service soon. Maybe they're just rumours, time will tell!
Half hourly to West Harbour won’t predicate on Confederation GO then… thank God.

I appreciate your information. One question though while It’s on my mind; what are the limitations to hourly service to Kitchener right now? Obviously it’s trackage rights/ownership, but are there expansion plans to add trips along the route? I see talk of areas near Guelph, Action and Georgetown, but hardly Kitchener, which imo is the big-ticket ridership node. My impression is that the service being run right now is the maximum they physically can, which tells me the infrastructure is fairly lacking atm. Just curious how this is going to change.

Half hourly to West Harbour won’t predicate on Confederation GO then… thank God.

I appreciate your information. One question though while It’s on my mind; what are the limitations to hourly service to Kitchener right now? Obviously it’s trackage rights/ownership, but are there expansion plans to add trips along the route? I see talk of areas near Guelph, Action and Georgetown, but hardly Kitchener, which imo is the big-ticket ridership node. My impression is that the service being run right now is the maximum they physically can, which tells me the infrastructure is fairly lacking atm. Just curious how this is going to change.
Keep in mind these are all rumours, I have no inside info unlike others on this forum.

An option for more Kitchener service (to Kitchener) in the immediate term is on weekends. Zero trains run now so adding up to 5-6 per day is possible with existing infrastructure. In the near term, new passing tracks at Guelph GO and Breslau will help increase frequency, but not get it to hourly. Future projects will enable that.

Back