News   Apr 16, 2024
 85     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.2K     5 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Sounds like an idea for a charter (if only!)

I do not think they have done a subway charter in almost 15 years since the H5s were dumped. I know they did one when the G series cars retired.

Do they even still do them or is that something long since past?

I do not think they have done a subway charter in almost 15 years since the H5s were dumped. I know they did one when the G series cars retired.

A subway charter that did anything other than get in the middle of the regular scheduled trains would be impossible (except if whole network was closed) - though I suppose it could make the branch-off at Bay as a special treat. Frankly, sounds pretty boring to me but ...

Your timeline is off, the H5s were bumped off in 2013. The last subway charter was done by the Toronto Transportation Society in 2011 for the H4s, and before that for the M1s in 1999.

A subway charter is very difficult to plan and organize, because the subway runs at extremely tight frequencies and any kind of mishap is going to cascade down the line. The TTC in general is also known for charging shockingly high prices for charters (seriously, have a look at their charter page, it borders on criminal extortion), so you need a full group of people paying very high prices just to break even. I am sure there would've been a lot of people in the railfan community who would've happily come out for an H5 or H6 (or both) charter, but it just wasn't in the cards.

There is another issue with your hypothetical though... there's a lot of curves on the YUS that would preclude a train from running anywhere close to 80 km/h for the full length of the line. The curves either side of Union and the Museum - Eglinton West segments would derail your train.

TTC testing new accessibility features at York Mills Station

Sept. 20, 2022

The TTC is seeking feedback from customers on new accessibility features currently being tested in the bus terminal of York Mills Station.

The features are part of the TTC’s ongoing commitment to ensuring the transit experience is as barrier-free as possible.

“As the TTC moves toward full accessibility, we are always looking for new and creative ways to ensure our customers’ needs are being met. The feedback we receive on these new features and others will ensure we are doing that,” said TTC CEO Rick Leary.

Features being tested at York Mills Station are:

• Red tactile wayfinding guidance tiles leading to the front door of all of the 9 bus stops to help customers with vision loss find their bus;
• A “first on, last off” decal on the ground intended for customers using mobility devices to wait at to help them board first (it is in clear line of sight to the bus operator as they arrive);
• Stop poles at each stop which include tactile and braille route information, bus bay numbers and information about the ground decals; and
• Bus bay numbers above the doors leading onto the bus platform.

These enhancements will be especially beneficial to customers with low vision and those using mobility devices. The features will also help operators better align their buses to each stop in a more consistent manner.

As part of the pilot project, the TTC will do on-site customer surveying between Sept. 20 and Oct. 2. Customers will also be able to provide feedback by completing the suggestion form on the Customer Service section on ttc.ca, by phone at 416-393-3030 or by email to accessibility@ttc.ca.

The results of the pilot and customer feedback will help the TTC as work to make the system fully accessible by 2025 continues.

TTC testing new accessibility features at York Mills Station

Sept. 20, 2022

The TTC is seeking feedback from customers on new accessibility features currently being tested in the bus terminal of York Mills Station.

The features are part of the TTC’s ongoing commitment to ensuring the transit experience is as barrier-free as possible.

“As the TTC moves toward full accessibility, we are always looking for new and creative ways to ensure our customers’ needs are being met. The feedback we receive on these new features and others will ensure we are doing that,” said TTC CEO Rick Leary.

Features being tested at York Mills Station are:

• Red tactile wayfinding guidance tiles leading to the front door of all of the 9 bus stops to help customers with vision loss find their bus;
• A “first on, last off” decal on the ground intended for customers using mobility devices to wait at to help them board first (it is in clear line of sight to the bus operator as they arrive);
• Stop poles at each stop which include tactile and braille route information, bus bay numbers and information about the ground decals; and
• Bus bay numbers above the doors leading onto the bus platform.

These enhancements will be especially beneficial to customers with low vision and those using mobility devices. The features will also help operators better align their buses to each stop in a more consistent manner.

As part of the pilot project, the TTC will do on-site customer surveying between Sept. 20 and Oct. 2. Customers will also be able to provide feedback by completing the suggestion form on the Customer Service section on ttc.ca, by phone at 416-393-3030 or by email to accessibility@ttc.ca.

The results of the pilot and customer feedback will help the TTC as work to make the system fully accessible by 2025 continues.
While I am all in favour of improving the 'transit experience' for people and some of these ideas seem useful, I think the TTC might be better to put some effort into getting BASIC service right first. They are clearly unable to coordinate getting the right bus route numbers on the right poles when routes change (There are still 121 route stickers on most Cherry Street stops though it became the 172 in early May). And let's not talk about actually managing routes so that there is actually a bus or streetcar at a stop when it is supposed to be.

While I am all in favour of improving the 'transit experience' for people and some of these ideas seem useful, I think the TTC might be better to put some effort into getting BASIC service right first. They are clearly unable to coordinate getting the right bus route numbers on the right poles when routes change (There are still 121 route stickers on most Cherry Street stops though it became the 172 in early May). And let's not talk about actually managing routes so that there is actually a bus or streetcar at a stop when it is supposed to be.
It also applies to a number of system that needs to do basic or change info.

Reactions: DSC
Perhaps we could start a Go-Fund-Me and get him back here!
I'd love that considering what a useless dud Rick Leary has been (he should be fired), but I doubt Andy would want to subject himself to the never ending political shitshow here again...

Perhaps we could start a Go-Fund-Me and get him back here!
Hard to say what he will do after being in the transit sector for 33 years and has a nice retirement plan based on where he work for the position he held.

Surprised he leaving TfL after a short stay as the new position this year considering it was his swan job after NYC. More the fact he moving to the US when he is an Brit and his wife is US citizen. Still a young person with a lot of years to go before 65 to fully retire, then it could be the new 70's years.

Yes it would be nice to see him here again for another 5-10 years.

Surprised he leaving TfL after a short stay as the new position this year considering it was his swan job after NYC. More the fact he moving to the US when he is an Brit and his wife is US citizen. Still a young person with a lot of years to go before 65 to fully retire, then it could be the new 70's years.

I am not surprised he is leaving TFL.

He is facing the same level of politics he faced here in Toronto only worse. In London, TFL is under a severe cash crunch and are looking at either major service cuts not seen since the 1990s or fare hikes.

Essentially, TFL has on the receiving end of multiple bailouts and are faced with the prospect of managed decline. The situation for TFL is grim at the moment and I doubt Andy wants any part of it.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-62325787

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...dy-byford-resigns-after-just-two-years-in-job

This weekend on the TTC

Sept. 22, 2022

Friday night

At 1:30 a.m. on Friday (Sept. 23) night/Saturday (Sept. 24) morning, subway service on Line 1 will be impacted as follows due to ATC signal system testing:

• Between Bloor-Yonge - St George: There will be no subway service between Bloor-Yonge and St George stations. Customers looking to transfer between the Yonge and University sides of the line are encouraged to use Line 2.
• Between Finch – Bloor-Yonge: There will be no northbound subway service between Finch and Bloor-Yonge stations. Customers can continue to travel southbound until the end of service on Friday night. Please visit ttc.ca for exact times.
• Between Vaughan Metropolitan Centre – St George: There will be no northbound subway service between Vaughan Metropolitan Centre and St George stations. Customers can continue to travel southbound until the end of service on Friday night. Please visit ttc.ca for exact times.

Shuttle buses and alternate routes will be available. TTC staff will be on hand to direct customers to shuttle boarding and offloading locations.

All stations will remain open for people to load their PRESTO card or purchase PRESTO Tickets and connect to surface routes.

Subway service on Line 1 will resume as usual on Sat., Sept. 24 at approximately 6 a.m.

Customers are encouraged to visit ttc.ca for more information and to plan their trips in advance.

Weekend closure

This Sat., Sept. 24 and Sun., Sept. 25, there will be no subway service on the portion of Line 1 between Finch and St Clair stations due to ATC signal upgrades.

Shuttle buses will run, stopping at each station along the route. TTC staff will be on hand to direct customers to shuttle boarding and offloading locations.

North York Centre Station will be closed. All other stations will remain open for people to load their PRESTO card, purchase PRESTO Tickets, or connect to surface routes. In addition to the shuttles, the 97 Yonge bus and the University side of Line 1 will be available as alternatives during the closure.

At Sheppard-Yonge Station, the automatic entrances/exits at Yonge St. and Poyntz Ave. and at Yonge St. and Anndale Dr. will be closed. At York Mills Station, the Old York Mills Rd. entrance/exit will be closed. At Lawrence Station, the automatic entrances/exits at Ranleigh Ave. and Bedford Park Ave. will also be closed. Other entrances and exits will be available for customers at each subway station.

Customers who require Wheel-Trans service can speak with any TTC customer service staff member for assistance.

• Between Finch – Bloor-Yonge: There will be no northbound subway service between Finch and Bloor-Yonge stations. Customers can continue to travel southbound until the end of service on Friday night. Please visit ttc.ca for exact times.
• Between Vaughan Metropolitan Centre – St George: There will be no northbound subway service between Vaughan Metropolitan Centre and St George stations. Customers can continue to travel southbound until the end of service on Friday night. Please visit ttc.ca for exact times.

I never quite understood how they can only run subway service in one direction without running out of trains and eventually turning back. Do these trains not need to return northbound so that service can continue?

I never quite understood how they can only run subway service in one direction without running out of trains and eventually turning back. Do these trains not need to return northbound so that service can continue?
It says it starts at 1:30 a.m. This is that time of the night where there is always one direction service anyway. The last train leaves southbound from Finch at 1:35 a.m. The last train arrives northbound at Finch at 2:21 a.m.. This is simply adjusting the last northbound train so the stations can start locking up earlier as there are no departing passengers on the northbound side potentially coming in.

Back