News   Mar 28, 2024
 404     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 372     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 721     0 

Moose Rail (National Capital Region)

I don't get why we're having this complete meltdown over a project that might happen in the far, far future.
Maybe because people don‘t exactly appreciate having discussions hijacked by someone‘s pet projects, regardless of how off-topic they are? It took you two days to call his suggestions „beyond silly“, now imagine how those must feel who have seen their attempts of having serious discussions made impossible by the eversame kind of fruitless and perpetually circling „more trains for the sole purpose of having more trains“ or „BUT IT HAS TO BE A TRAIN!!!1!“ discussions over the last few years…

Last edited:
Anyways, I would appreciate if those people interested in discussing the fascinating idea of reactivating Ottawa's old Union Station or the creation of a more traditional (than Moose Rail's proposal) Commuter Rail network in Ottawa could use the following thread for any future discussions:

Thank you!

Last edited:
I never made any such assumption. You must not understand what average operating speed is. The scenario I described is end absolute longest travel from end to end after stage 2. And that's the point. In the absolute worst case scenario, nobody in Ottawa is facing hours long commutes that exist in Toronto and necessitate GO.

What is the average operating speed of Yonge Line 1?
What is the operating speed of GO Lakeshore West Line?
That is the difference I am suggesting.

Parking could be built. But that only makes the cost of this proposed system higher. Virtually every location near all existing rail lines inside Ottawa is developed. And Ottawa is already spending $65k per parking spot for public parking in some areas. A GO sized parking lot at even half the station of a system like what Moose was proposing would render the whole idea unfeasible. Not to mention that it's literally anti-Transit Oriented Development to build an entirely new transit system that is reliant on cars (the actual flaw of GO). But also after all that, what would such a system do? Save a low single digit percentage of riders 10-20 mins?

That same money could literally pay for a partially tunneled Montreal-Rideau LRT. Or half the Bank subway. And both of those would have much higher ridership than some car dependent commuter rail system. I can't imagine most Ottawa residents voting for this.

And this idea would happen after those occur.

Remember, this would serve mainly people who do not live in Ottawa, but works in Ottawa. That would mean Federal and Provincial funding

Maybe because people don‘t exactly appreciate having discussions hijacked by someone‘s pet projects, regardless of how off-topic they are? It took you two days to call his suggestions „beyond silly“, now imagine how those must feel who have seen their attempts of having serious discussions made impossible by the eversame kind of fruitless and perpetually circling „more trains for the sole purpose of having more trains“ or „BUT IT HAS TO BE A TRAIN!!!1!“ discussions over the last few years…
I'd agree with you, but the Ottawa thread does exist. This thread is for a proposed commuter/regional rail network, and the idea of reactivating Union station in the context of a commuter/regional rail network isn't that far fetched.

I'd agree with you, but the Ottawa thread does exist. This thread is for a proposed commuter/regional rail network, and the idea of reactivating Union station in the context of a commuter/regional rail network isn't that far fetched.
Ah, but if there is any expansion outside of what exists or what has narrowly been proposed by government officials, it is a bad idea. Too bad so many people have no vision.

I don't know which "Ottawa thread" you are referring to, but the name of this thread is "Moose Rail (National Capital Region)" and the last attempt I've seen to relate the discussion to anything relating Moose Rail was 7 pages and 99 posts ago, which was right before a certain member launched yet another of his "crazy ideas", which monopolized the discussion eversince:
Not really on topic with how Moose wanted to use the bridge so maybe I should create a seperate thread for this project.

If me creating a new thread for fantasy discussions has obviated the need for this thread (since Moose Rail admittedly is more than dead and already mostly forgotten at this point), then maybe we should just put this thread to rest, but nobody seeking to discuss the revival of Ottawa Union Station or the need to envision a commuter rail network in Ottawa will search for any such discussions in the current thread...

Last edited:
I don't know which "Ottawa thread" you are referring to, but the name of this thread is "Moose Rail (National Capital Region)" and the last attempt I've seen to relate the discussion to anything relating Moose Rail was 7 pages and 99 posts ago, which was right before a certain member launched yet another of his "crazy ideas", which monopolized the discussion eversince:

Don't play into him.

My way of nicely tying this in is Moose was suggested as a commuter rail system. while their plan was less than stellar, I presented something that would be better than what Moose suggested.

Perfect. That thread would be the place to discuss projects which are discussed in the media and by whatever level of government, while my new thread is to discuss the fantasies visions of our own members.

Exciting news, #OttCity!
The Chief William Commanda Bridge is open for all to enjoy! This new multi-use pathway will improve active transportation between Ottawa & Gatineau: bit.ly/3QoWwIc
Periodic disruptions will be required over the summer to complete essential work.

Video in the tweet by the City of Ottawa:

Back