News   May 21, 2024
 56     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 3.1K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 2.2K     3 

Toronto Bike Share

I went for an evening bike ride. I was in the condo and the app said there were 3 bikes available. Well I get to street level sure enough there are 3 and one guy is taking one. By the time I get there a girl has a second one and I get the last. As I pull away I see 2 disappointed people. this is all in the span of 5 minutes or so.

I returned it late this night and sure enough there are no bikes except a dud e-bike that has been there for days. Then the Enterprise rent a truck pulls up and the crew start putting in new bikes :)

But as I watched from across the street I realize they only put 4 more bikes in to make 5 (including my return) and they didn't take away the dud e-bike. 😪
They probably didn't take away the dud e-bike because there's a different team that swaps the batteries.

IMG_20220624_205358.jpg

From bike share desert to Long Branch where there is a plethora of both bikes and available racks. I spotted 9 noticeably brand new bikes. A pleasure to ride.

View attachment 409824
From bike share desert to Long Branch where there is a plethora of both bikes and available racks. I spotted 9 noticeably brand new bikes. A pleasure to ride.

Just curious the UX decision to have the bikes facing away from a fence rather than turn the dock around and have them up against it. Seems awkward/waste of space

Just curious the UX decision to have the bikes facing away from a fence rather than turn the dock around and have them up against it. Seems awkward/waste of space

At Long Branch, if you look at the photo, there are 2 sets of docks, one has the bikes facing the fence, the other is up against it facing away from the fence.

im not sure what happened but theres like so many ebikes out right now. its gotta be their entire stock of them. more out east all the way to the beaches and out west to humber bay
Screenshot_20220705-171315_PBSC.jpg

I truly believe consistently accessible shared e-bikes would lead to the largest general–public endorsement of protected bikes lanes in this city.

I know e-bikes vs lanes can be framed as a chicken or egg problem, but the barrier of entry to get more e-bikes is much lower than bike lanes. And after that it’s a positive feedback loop.

What’s crazy is regular biking is already normally by far the fastest way around downtown, but e bikes just make it even faster. Having easy access to e bikes for downtown transportation would be damn near revolutionary for urban mobility for many. I did about 11km on the e bike going from the lake to Bloor and back today in about 35 minutes. It’s nuts.

I truly believe consistently accessible shared e-bikes would lead to the largest general–public endorsement of protected bikes lanes in this city.

I know e-bikes vs lanes can be framed as a chicken or egg problem, but the barrier of entry to get more e-bikes is much lower than bike lanes. And after that it’s a positive feedback loop.
Investments in bike share seem like a no-brainer. If we can sink billions of dollars on crazy transit projects (tunneling Eg West), spending a few tens of millions on a pile of e-bikes could get a lot of people out of cars. And the per-ride subsidy compared to transit seems pretty reasonable.

I saw some people biking with bikeshares around lunchtime from my balcony. Maybe the entire system wasn't affected?
Anybody could share insight on this if they know?

According to their Twitter feed, their system was inaccessible all day but maybe some “enterprising” people figured out how to liberate bikes?

Back