News   Apr 16, 2024
 97     0 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 661     3 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 469     3 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

I checked my facts there first, but am I right to read that the grand unions weren’t there in the 1963 diagram?

The Grand Unions on Spadina were only built there as part of the rebuilding of the trackage for the "Spadina LRT" in the late 1990s. None of the historical trackage - much of it was in poor shape, anyways - was kept.

Bathurst and King was probably upgraded in the late 1970s. Before then, the cars were based out of Wychwood, and so there wasn't a need for an east-to-south curve at King. But once Wychwood closed Bathurst cars were then based out of Roncesvalles, and the only direction that the cars could take to enter service was north onto Bathurst from King - and then turn around at Wolesley Loop just north of Queen. (Unless they wanted to go via a circuitous route via north on Roncesvalles and east on Dundas.) Adding that one missing curve - which caused it to become a Grand Union - also allowed cars to enter service in a more straightforward manner.

Dan

For those interested in the L-O-O-O-N-G path to new overhead... (a project that was supposed to be completed about 6 years ago so that the new cars after # 40 could come without poles!)

The TTC has installed new poles along most of Adelaide from Church to Spadina. They have already installed new overhead at the King/Church and Queen/Church intersections. Also @ Queen/Victoria. They have started the new overhead wiring at Church/Adelaide, Church/Richmond, Victoria/Richmond and Victoria/Adelaide but I notice one old pole on SW corner of Adelaide/Victoria that will clearly be replaced. The TTC never cease to amaze me as they install 90% of the new poles but invariably leave a few out and then have to send the 'pole guys' back again to deal with those they missed. I think they still also need to install the new overhead on much of Church from Queen to Carleton but I have not checked recently. The Church/Carlton intersection is getting new track this summer but, if I remember right from a few months ago, seems to have new overhead already.

TE34.169
ACTION​
Delegated​
Ward: 11​
Encroachment Agreement - Pedestrian Tunnel at 481 University Avenue Linking to TTC's St. Patrick Station
The Community Council will be considering a motion to add this new business item to the Agenda.
Origin
(June 20, 2022) Letter from the Director, Permits and Enforcement, Transportation Services​
Recommendations
The Director, Permits and Enforcement, Transportation Services recommends that:

1. Toronto and East York Community Council authorize the City to enter into an encroachment agreement (the "Agreement") with the owner of 481 University Avenue (the "Owner") for the purpose of permitting the Owner to construct, maintain, repair and operate a publicly accessible underground pedestrian tunnel located approximately 9.3 metres north of Dundas Street West, connecting 481 University Avenue to the existing TTC pedestrian tunnel connected to St. Patrick Subway Station (the "Encroachment" or "Tunnel"), substantially on the major terms and conditions set out below, and including such other terms and conditions as deemed appropriate by the General Manager of Transportation Services (the "GM"), and in a form satisfactory to the City Solicitor:​

Moving along! (From Merx)

1656800163489.png

Poor construction management as per usual with the TTC, another feather in the cap for Rick Leary who has no idea what on earth he's doing over there.

Let's hope the Roncesvalles-Queen-King-Queensway intersection was constructed properly, because if not...

More TTC track contracts being awarded:

Bid Award Panel consideration on July 13, 2022
BA196.3
ACTION​
Ward: 11, 13​
Award of Ariba Document Number 3497975693 to Sanscon Construction Ltd. for TTC Track Reconstruction, Elevated Bike Lanes, TTC Track Replacement, Water Service Improvements and Road Reconstruction for Engineering and Construction Services
Origin
(July 7, 2022) Report from the Acting Chief Procurement Officer​
Recommendations
The Acting Chief Procurement Officer recommends that the Bid Award Panel grant authority to award the following contract:

Solicitation Number:
Request for Tender, Ariba Document Number 3497975693 and Contract Number 22ECS-TI-09SP.

Description:
Request for Tender for TTC Track Reconstruction (top only) – College St – Bay St. to Manning Ave, Elevated Bike lanes – College St – Manning Ave to Spadina Ave, Water service improvements and Road Reconstruction – Borden St – College St to Harbord St., TTC Track Replacement (full depth) – Church St/Carlton St Intersection in Wards 11 and 13

Recommended Supplier:
Sanscon Construction Ltd.

Contract Award Value:
$14,217,849 net of all applicable taxes and charges
$16,066,169 including HST and all applicable charges
$14,468,083 net of HST recoveries

Contract is expected to start on date of award and be completed no later than, December 31, 2022.​

A report to next week's TTC meeting recommends awarding a tender for the renewal of finishes at Queen's Park and St. Patrick Stations to Maystar General Contracting Ltd in the amount of 33M and change.

Work will begin in Q3 of this year.

It will include new porcelain versions of the Vitrolite enameled steel (as corrected by @max and confirmed by @smallspy ), but also new ceiling finishes, and apparently a colour change for the breezeway areas (the mid-platform landings for the escalators/stairs).

No renders were included in the report.

Last edited:
It will include new porcelain versions of the Vitrolite, .

I don't think the Queen's Park and St Patrick's tiles were made of vitrolite, though I haven't been able to find exactly what they used.

I believe only Osgoode & St Andrew got that treatment for the University Line project, and Museum & St George were the test stations for the finishes ultimately used for Bloor-Danforth. Osgoode & St Andrew had their renovations due to similar issues as on the Yonge Line, but other than having to add signs over the original station names painted on the walls (they didn't sandblast them in, which is partly why I don't believe they are vitrolite) I don't think any other fixes had to be implemented in their early life.

You can also see they reflect light differently than vitrolite in photos: https://transittoronto.ca/photos/su...onstruction/university-construction-1300.html

For comparison, here's St Andrew in its original vitrolite skin: https://transittoronto.ca/photos/su...onstruction/university-construction-0400.html

Huh im confused. I thought this was already amended, and it was already up to the municipality's discretion to implement and activate the cameras?
I believe it was planned but not actually done yet. There is no rush as the city would have to determine how to even implement the cameras.

Huh im confused. I thought this was already amended, and it was already up to the municipality's discretion to implement and activate the cameras?
A proposed change in the Regulations was announced. This is, I think, the confirmation that it has actually been approved and published. Now the City (TTC) can actually install cameras. That will probably take a decade.....

Back