Toronto Eaton Centre (Ongoing Renewal) | ?m | ?s | Cadillac Fairview | Zeidler

Yikes, how many ways can Cadillac Fairview destroy this mall. It's like death by 1000 cuts.

I dont trust this firm with a 10 foot pole, every single one of their renovations have been dull and dreadful. I dont think this will be any exception.

I definitely don't "trust" CF - but they aren't the only ones - the general trend of eliminating the personality of the malls (plus high cost amenities like water features and plants) seems to be universal, not just CF-owned malls. Happened at Square One, Yorkdale, etc.

AoD

I definitely don't "trust" CF - but they aren't the only ones - the general trend of eliminating the personality of the malls

Folks this is trend across the board and not just at malls. Honest Eds versus Walmart, local diner versus McDonalds, local pharmacy versus Shoppers and so forth. Bigger companies and larger chains equal less variety and certainly less personality. For the younger folks there used to be something called record stores. They sold music. At the better ones you could ask the salespeople for recommendations. Personality was built in. Good luck with that on Spotify.

Folks this is trend across the board and not just at malls. Honest Eds versus Walmart, local diner versus McDonalds, local pharmacy versus Shoppers and so forth. Bigger companies and larger chains equal less variety and certainly less personality. For the younger folks there used to be something called record stores. They sold music. At the better ones you could ask the salespeople for recommendations. Personality was built in. Good luck with that on Spotify.

Oh how I miss Sam the Record Man.

For the younger folks there used to be something called record stores. They sold music. At the better ones you could ask the salespeople for recommendations. Personality was built in. Good luck with that on Spotify.

I was with you up until this statement. Because unless you collect vinyl records, what incentive is there to even want to go into a record store today? I can get any song I want right now, without ever leaving my home. I can get recommendations from almost anyone, too.

Why limit myself to a 1000-2000 records present in the shop (all in english), when I can browse millions of songs from hundreds of languages at tip of my fingers while using suggestions from friends, on reddit as well as on spotify itself. Yes, Buying records was a special experience, yet it will be considered inconvenient and outdated by majority today. Nostalgia can only get you so far !

I was with you up until this statement. Because unless you collect vinyl records, what incentive is there to even want to go into a record store today? I can get any song I want right now, without ever leaving my home. I can get recommendations from almost anyone, too.
As someone who was a typical jock in high school I appreciated going to the record store because often the women who worked there had black finger nails, an abundance of piercings and often enough tattoos to make a pirate jealous. Somehow this opposite was always attractive to me. Then again I secretly really liked the girls of chess club. Who doesn’t find nerdiness a turn on?

I got most of my vinyl from Rotate This before I got into manga collecting. And I secretly liked to hang out with peeps with pink hair...

That's amazing! Thanks for sharing this. I was raised on the internet. I always download my music. I was given a few CDs as gifts. I still have them. I'm not really sure what to do with them. I have an external hard drive, so maybe I could upload them sometime using that. I don't own a CD player. I have seen pictures of record players online. They're interesting. 😃

Some test panels are up. Really brightens up the space.
0AA54563-2D7D-4913-80F8-5B5ECC5247CE.jpeg

Back