News   May 02, 2024
 391     1 
News   May 02, 2024
 177     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 234     0 

VIA Rail

They did say that last year.
It does say 2022. But the second trainset is not even here yet. So....the first trainset is going to be in service for a good 6 months before the next one enters service.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220426-184301.png
    Screenshot_20220426-184301.png
    174.4 KB · Views: 50
It does say 2022. But the second trainset is not even here yet. So....the first trainset is going to be in service for a good 6 months before the next one enters service.

Entry to service will be in early 2023. I suppose that could be considered "the next few months", but that seems to stretch the usage of the term a bit.

Dan

This industry presentation is the most authoritative source we’ve seen. And recent

- Paul

Thanks, here's the scheduling slide from that presentation for those that don't click through:

NGEC_2022_Annual_Meeting_Slide_4.png

Assuming that "Delivery of trainsets..." refers to the subsequent sets, it's interesting that they would put the first in service before any of the other 31 have arrived. I certainly wouldn't complain about that though, it will be great to have it running asap!

Entry to service will be in early 2023. I suppose that could be considered "the next few months", but that seems to stretch the usage of the term a bit.
Permanent entry to service? At this stage, I'd have guessed they'd want to try it on a few runs here and there, to see if there any unanticipated issues with live passengers.

Just received this email.

Today, we’re taking you behind the scenes at the Montréal Maintenance Centre, as the test train gets ready to ride on the main line for a high-speed stability test.

The goal of this test is to evaluate the train-to-track interaction. It’s done once with an empty train and then a second time after loading the train with sandbags to simulate the weight of a train full of passengers. It’s then driven at various speeds on different sections of the track, as the engineers measure the movement of multiple sensors installed on each train car.

This balancing act ultimately means a safe and smooth ride… Is there anything better than being gently lulled to sleep on the train? We think not!

Click here to watch Jean-Philippe Quintal, Senior Engineer at VIA Rail, take us through his checklist before getting started.

Happy viewing!

Thanks, here's the scheduling slide from that presentation for those that don't click through:

View attachment 396183

Assuming that "Delivery of trainsets..." refers to the subsequent sets, it's interesting that they would put the first in service before any of the other 31 have arrived. I certainly wouldn't complain about that though, it will be great to have it running asap!

Sounds like "beginning of Q4 2022" is a stretch goal.

Sounds like "beginning of Q4 2022" is a stretch goal.

I don’t know how aggressive their plan to begin withdrawing older equipment from service might be, or how rough some coaches might be…. But putting even one trainset into service for the Christmas holiday might add a few seats to the supply and allow a few additional tickets to be sold, before the first LRC cars get sidelined.
It sure feels odd to realise that we are inly months away from seeing the first of the LRC fleet go to scrap.

- Paul

Last edited:

Back