News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 591     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 886     0 

GO Transit Fleet Equipment and other

You know, I have to wonder what MX's thought process is,

200-214, which are nearly 40 years old and would be the second closest series of cars to EOL, would have their controls reactivated and lead trains again.

Yet 242-250, the series VII deactivated cab cars and are only 16-18 years old, will have their controls permanently deactivated and be converted into regular coaches.

One would think that it would be the opposite way around, no?

I wonder if they were thinking in terms of creature comforts wherein a newer car has less internal work needing to be done for it to be brought up to modern standards.

You know, I have to wonder what MX's thought process is,

200-214, which are nearly 40 years old and would be the second closest series of cars to EOL, would have their controls reactivated and lead trains again.

Yet 242-250, the series VII deactivated cab cars and are only 16-18 years old, will have their controls permanently deactivated and be converted into regular coaches.

One would think that it would be the opposite way around, no?
Since they are the near the end of life and the need more cabs until a new fleet arrives, cheaper to make them back to a cab car and scrap them once the new fleet arrives than rebuilt them.

That said, isn't 212 a rebuilt coach now as noted in the photo of awarding the contract for rebuilt a few days ago or a reactivated car in new colours??

Since they are the near the end of life and the need more cabs until a new fleet arrives, cheaper to make them back to a cab car and scrap them once the new fleet arrives than rebuilt them.

That said, isn't 212 a rebuilt coach now as noted in the photo of awarding the contract for rebuilt a few days ago or a reactivated car in new colours??
Hmm that is a good point

Also 212 was part of the original 2019 order, it has been rebuilt with reactivated cab controls, and the video it came from also confirms that another one of the near finished reactivated cab cars is 204

Maybe.... because they were leaving that to the OnCorr vendor - who they were only about to announce - to figure out?

- Paul
Looks like it’s crystal clear. They’re going to procure electric locomotives as per this release.

Looks like it’s crystal clear. They’re going to procure electric locomotives as per this release.

so that article is pulled from alstom themselves, who say they will procure new electric locomotives.
now remember the business case itself said they were doing electric locos anyway.

The number of emus was always up for discussions, i bet thats why they leave that part out
they dont know how many or even if theyre going to order emus.

I have to wonder what has changed within the past 5 years to make this change, as I recall in the past most sources said GO RER would be operated with EMUs

I have to wonder what has changed within the past 5 years to make this change, as I recall in the past most sources said GO RER would be operated with EMUs
Value engineering. But let's reserve judgment until the full plan is rolled out. This could just be a stop gap measure for a quick start to electrification

Nothing has changed. Many people have ascribed that determination to Metrolinx as a fact, but the reality is that they have not said one way or the other what their preferred option is so as not to unduly influence the corporations bidding.

Dan

Nothing has changed. Many people have ascribed that determination to Metrolinx as a fact, but the reality is that they have not said one way or the other what their preferred option is so as not to unduly influence the corporations bidding.

Dan
To be fair since the start of rer they've been marketing the Stadler kiss in all their promotional material. Unless it's some rookie error by an intern, theor preference towards multiple units has been clear all along

To be fair since the start of rer they've been marketing the Stadler kiss in all their promotional material. Unless it's some rookie error by an intern, theor preference towards multiple units has been clear all along
Does the Stadler KISS trains meet FRA regulations to run with freight traffic in North America?

I don’t think it means anything, but Metrolinx has recently been exclusively using images of bilevels running under concatenary.

Back