News   Apr 19, 2024
 30     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 398     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 640     1 

What's the future for the Conservative Party?

My apologies for the double post, but I wanted to ask if there were any legal restrictions for Brown throwing his hat into the ring for the Con leadership while he's still holding public office. I know it looks unseemly as hell; if I were a resident of Brampton, I'd be pretty unimpressed with my supposed Mayor transparently using the office as a convenient and strictly temporary stepping stone until something better came along. (Just as ShonTron says above, in fact.) But is it officially against the rules?

And as long as I'm asking questions about Patrick Brown, here's another: Did anyone ever figure out why our beloved Premiere seemed to have it in for the man? I know there's been some discussion about it in the Ford thread, but I don't think there were really any definitive answers produced as to why Dofo held such an obvious grudge against him. Did Brown actually "do" anything to Ford? Or was it all coincidence? Possibly just a matter of Ford gleefully pouncing on the chance to kick a man when he was down and incapable of fighting back? (Which, come to think of it, is hardly out of character for Thug Ford.) I'm curious as to how any of this might effect the upcoming leadership race, which promises to be quite the Carnival of Grotesqueries, even without any pre-existing feuds thrown into the mix.

But is it officially against the rules?

No. There isn't anything that prevents a Mayor from holding a leadership position in a political organization.
If he is chosen as the leader, he likely could still remain Mayor until he wins a seat in the house.
But he'd resign before then for optics.

MPP's must resign though before running.

Wow. There's no policy in the video, but if he keeps making these types of infomercials and advertisements like this, Pierre Poilievre will probably be the next PM.

I didn't even cringe!

I find him quite cringe overall from hyping Crypto and Block Chain to sounding remarkably like Jordan Peterson but less intellectually coherent, cough.......

On the subject of the video, there's the hint of something useful there, until you get to the governmental cost of a housing unit in Vancouver being $644,000...........what?

That does not pass muster on its face.

A quick google search shows he took that number from a C.D. Howe Paper........................but wait......what......... how did C.D. Howe describe that $644,000?

1649780344123.png

source: https://globalnews.ca/news/8753145/pierre-poilievre-targets-vancouver-housing/

Never mind that the Federal government has zero authority over development charges in this country..........they represent a whole lot less than 644k per unit.

That's not even misleading; that rates as bald-faced lie.

Last edited:
My brother (he is in his mid-30s) received a letter from the CPC (and yes, he donated to them at one point, given that he's a Harper Conservative with MAGA tendencies and is a borderline QAnon adherent).

The main envelope simply reads "MOST URGENT" in large red capital letters with "Election Canada" in smaller black letters. No mention of the CPC by name or logo on the main envelope itself.

The letter is simply a letter to apply for CPC membership (with the words "MOST URGENT" again, this time with the logo of the CPC next to it), complete with a form and return envelope to send to the CPC.

Having the main envelope read "MOST URGENT" without mentioning the CPC on it (no name, no logo) is very predatory. In reality, applying for membership of a political party isn't "MOST URGENT." I know that other parties actually put their logo on the main envelope (such as the NDP as I am an NDP supporter) and not put "MOST URGENT" on the main envelope.

I believe that the words "MOST URGENT" or similar should be banned from envelopes. Wording like this is popular with scammers and the CPC really stoops that low.

It's similar to what the Ontario PCs did in 2018:

Back