News   Mar 18, 2024
 682     0 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 759     0 

Rail Deck Park (?, ?, ?)

Heres the details for today's call:

Thank you for your interest in attending tonight’s Rail Deck Reset Open House on the evolving concepts for Toronto’s Rail Deck Corridor between Bathurst and Blue Jays Way.

The virtual Open House will run from 6:30pm-7:30pm and will update attendees on the current state of the project, upcoming milestones and future plans for engagement.

Join the virtual Open House by clicking here: https://kga-inc.zoom.us/j/85345277794?pwd=WlNNUnQ2aEl0azNxY29WYlhKanR6UT09
Passcode: 908112

Or Telephone:
Dial (for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location):
Canada: +1 587 328 1099 or +1 647 374 4685 or +1 647 558 0588 or +1 778 907 2071 or +1 204 272 7920 or +1 438 809 7799
Webinar ID: 853 4527 7794

International numbers available: https://kga-inc.zoom.us/u/ktj4McKT8

The meeting will start at 6:30pm.

toronto647 already posted the details. But anyone who didn't get the email should check their spam folder. I know it got sent to mine. It was sent at 9:35am today for me.

as mentioned in an aticle above, the developer isnt building the park, the developer expects the city to spend $800 million to build the decking for the park and the park itself.
does the city even have that money lol
wasnt the original price tag for the park like 1 billion?
In any case, the reason theyre trying this is so they can expand the footprint past the front st limit and the northern linear park with the city' help

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 95
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    173.3 KB · Views: 95
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    173.5 KB · Views: 102
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 97
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    177.5 KB · Views: 109
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 94
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 94
Still not sold on the site plan. The development should front Bathurst and Spadina and leave the entire middle portion of the corridor as park. This just looks like the developer took the easy portions to develop and left the rest for the city to figure out.

E2E13EF9-9C29-4CAA-A381-DCA64576D82D.jpeg

Still not sold on the site plan. The development should front Bathurst and Spadina and leave the entire middle portion of the corridor as park. This just looks like the developer took the easy portions to develop and left the rest for the city to figure out.

Not sure about that. It's good stretched linearly with the sightlines towards the CN Tower. Sort of like David Crombie. Provided there is a park. And I don't think it really works to have towers right on top of the corridor, just only strafing the north sliver.

Not sure about that. It's good stretched linearly with the sightlines towards the CN Tower. Sort of like David Crombie. Provided there is a park. And I don't think it really works to have towers right on top of the corridor, just only strafing the north sliver.
They were clear that the edge along Northern Linear park would require a slope up towards the park, making a good chunk of that linear space useless. A view corridor is a lower priority than a good public space.

Well the park sure as hell wont be coming to fruition under status quo Tory's watch, whether he's in office for another year, 5 years, or 10+ years.

View attachment 381698
stupidest plan I have ever seen.. Total embarrassment for the team that put this together. I feel sorry for them and their staff who had to put this shit out.

This proposal is even worse than the last one... There is no way the City is going to support it with or without Cressy and pay the close to billion dollars to deck the rail deck and build a park lol! Impossible. I see the Feds, Province and City coming together and building out the Rail deck Park IMO

Without elevation drawings ( I saw a hint of it but couldn't grab a screen shot) its difficult to know for sure, but I suspect a real shortage of usable space given the substantial grade change from Front and from other sides of the site.

I've noted that given the challenges of sustaining trees over the long term on top of a deck, that it makes more sense to use this type of space for sports fields, DOLAs and community Gardens.
The latter two, in theory, could include some tiers, but that doesn't work for a soccer pitch.

A design that's essentially ramps/stairs from all sides, with some landscaping at the top makes very little sense as a park.
That's true whether its a 100% City park or a mixed hybrid w/development.

I remain of the opinion that this isn't a great idea for a park, and not brilliant for most development either.

I think there's an intelligent case to be made for some development fronting Spadina, to create an animated street edge; but the rest I'm not overly sold on from a City-building or an economic perspective.

The City needs to prioritize expanding existing park sites downtown that are on terra ferma, wherever practical.

My list:

East end:

1) The parking and remaining grounds around Metropolitan United
2) Moss Park (relocate the armoury)
3) Complete, where practical, the Yonge St. Linear Park series from Wood Street northwards
4) Deliver the new Crombie Park site south of SLM
5) Deliver the Green P lot on Wellesley by Yonge
6) Deliver the enlarged St. Jamestown West Park.
7) Remove Bayview from Gerrard to Queen, make it park; in association w/that redevelop Oak/Gerrard Apartments next to the street, make the valley-side parkspace.
8) Redevelop Moss Park TCHC with a new mixed income community. Create new usable park From Berkeley to Parliament, running south from Shuter to Ramsay's Lane
9) Enlarge Sumach-Shuter Park substantially, removing low-rise townhomes.
10 Redevelop Winchester Co-op and Fudger House and select additional properties to create a more functional and slightly larger Winchester and Winchester Square Parks.
11) Grace Hospital gets new facility on current parking lot at Bloor/Church; existing hospital footprint becomes park.
12) Achieve usable public park on Ryerson campus through Kerr Hall redevelopment.

West end:

1) Expand Orde Street Park to consume all current Green P surface parking
2) Expand Alexandra Park to the south.
3) Deliver Village of Yorkville Park expansion eastward to Bay St.
4) Deliver new park on Richmond, east of John
5) Deliver narrowed and re-aligned University Avenue, Queen's Park Crescent and Avenue Road to create substantial new park space and public realm.
6) Build 'Mouth of the Creek' Park
7) Enlarge Sonya's Park on Oxford

Complete most other parks now on the drawing boards for downtown + Waterfront.

Done.

Roughly 16ha/40 acres of new parks, plus a few other small additions, and the waterfront parks already planned.

Something in the range of ~50 acres all-in.

the change in elevation between Front St and City Place is a lot less extreme.

The art of poaching someone else's property is on display.

The elevation change is still material, but to make it a bit more gradual, they need the City to narrow Front Street and cede the land to the park to make that happen.

If the City says 'no' you're back to the old elevation change.

Back