728     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 7K     2 

Crossroads Centre (SmartCentre, ?s, ?)

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
This large outdoor plaza at the 401 and Weston Road is the subject of lobbying concerning a possible employment lands conversion request from SmartCentre according to the Lobbyist Registry.

Streetview:

1647027319053.png

The Aerial pic below involves some question marks as the City has property lines cross-crossing this seemingly one large block of land. Some, I assume are easements, but I have had to take a guess on the exact landholding.

1647027596092.png

Based on the guess above, Site Size: is ~10 hectares / 25 acres.

I think a Canadian tire, a McDonald’s, subway and a Best Buy is a very liberal use of the term employment lands.

I absolutely hate these silly plazas and am happy they are at least trying to resemble anything city like. Sure it’s in their financial interest but suburbs full of parking lots helps no one.

I think a Canadian tire, a McDonald’s, subway and a Best Buy is a very liberal use of the term employment lands.

I absolutely hate these silly plazas and am happy they are at least trying to resemble anything city like. Sure it’s in their financial interest but suburbs full of parking lots helps no one.

As opposed to the site at North Queen, this one makes some more sense to look at for residential. We can see this an expanded aerial view for context:

1647029421193.png

There's already residential directly across Weston Road, as well as across the railway corridor and just south of Oak. While some 'industrial uses' do remain, it's much less bleak and under-serviced than North Queen.

Here you already have a supermarket and parks close by. There are some challenges mind you, such as the lack of nearby elementary school (nearest is ~ 1.2km from the southern lip of the site, 1.7km for the nearest public school.

The rail line in behind this site is CP's mainline to western Canada, the MacTier sub.

Here is the logical case for a GO Stn whether or not the service ever reaches Bolton. The corridor currently has one track, but room for 2 w/o any serious modifications. The ROW w/retaining walls could support 3 tracks quite easily; but the station
will have to be on what is now private property.

As opposed to the site at North Queen, this one makes some more sense to look at for residential. We can see this an expanded aerial view for context:

View attachment 384964

There's already residential directly across Weston Road, as well as across the railway corridor and just south of Oak. While some 'industrial uses' do remain, it's much less bleak and under-serviced than North Queen.

Here you already have a supermarket and parks close by. There are some challenges mind you, such as the lack of nearby elementary school (nearest is ~ 1.2km from the southern lip of the site, 1.7km for the nearest public school.

The rail line in behind this site is CP's mainline to western Canada, the MacTier sub.

Here is the logical case for a GO Stn whether or not the service ever reaches Bolton. The corridor currently has one track, but room for 2 w/o any serious modifications. The ROW w/retaining walls could support 3 tracks quite easily; but the station
will have to be on what is now private property.
Schools have been placed in condominium podiums before. Nothing is impossible.

Schools have been placed in condominium podiums before. Nothing is impossible.

I don't recall suggesting anything was impossible.

Simply that it was something that would have to be addressed.

I don't recall suggesting anything was impossible.

Simply that it was something that would have to be addressed.
Understood. I just think that’s the cities job to figure out. But all these smart centre conversions are big enough to make new schools, rec centres, grocery stores and parks within their developments

What Best Buy? There's a For Lease sign in the window.

What Best Buy? There's a For Lease sign in the window.
Didn't realize Bestbuy closed down permanently, I was there not too long ago, this will save a trip lol. Lots of memories in this plaza growing up in the area, when it was futureshop it was the go to place, along with the old toys r us in the back.

Didn't realize Bestbuy closed down permanently, I was there not too long ago, this will save a trip lol. Lots of memories in this plaza growing up in the area, when it was futureshop it was the go to place, along with the old toys r us in the back.
The Toys "R" Us was of use when my kids were young. Now have to go to the Toys "R" Us at Dufferin Mall or Sherway Gardens for my grandkids. At least the Dufferin Mall one is near the subway.

One thing wrong with Crossroads is the lack of sidewalks. There's a bus stop at the lights on Weston Road just south of the 401, leading into Crossroads. However, no sidewalk.

See https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.7120293,-79.5344353,3a,75y,65.11h,72.27t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sAqfBdAGkPKJzgfyLspPeGA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

People tend to drive from one store to another within the plaza, because of the lack of sidewalks.
Yes it’s pretty pathetic. I’ll admit I have once driven from the staples on one side to the best but on another side and then out through the McDonald’s take out. It’s pathetic which is why I’m happy to see these areas get developed. Maybe in the ideal world other areas would get developed first but this is still better than keep on going pretending that these plazas were ever a good idea.

This was one of the first big-box clusters in Toronto, pre-dating Stockyards and even the Golden Mile. I remember when that Staples store was a Computer City store - one of many electronics big box store chains to disappear. Strangely enough, despite its relative obscurity, the LCBO store at Crossroads is one of the largest in Ontario and has some of the greatest selections.

This was one of the first big-box clusters in Toronto, pre-dating Stockyards and even the Golden Mile. I remember when that Staples store was a Computer City store - one of many electronics big box store chains to disappear. Strangely enough, despite its relative obscurity, the LCBO store at Crossroads is one of the largest in Ontario and has some of the greatest selections.
The LCBO is the only reason for me to go to Crossroads. That and the CIBC & McDonalds. And the Beer Store to get cash for my empties.

I believe it's one of the only in the province to open until Midnight too. Or at least it was pre-pandemic.

Back