News   Apr 26, 2024
 52     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 134     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 563     0 

Crossroads Centre (SmartCentre, ?s, ?)

Strangely enough, despite its relative obscurity, the LCBO store at Crossroads is one of the largest in Ontario and has some of the greatest selections.

When I was much younger, and just getting into wine..........I went to crossroads location once, despite being an East Yorker.............

That was because LCBO piloted a bottle-your-own wine program at that store.

Needless to say that didn't last.

But it was one of the more interesting experiments the LCBO ran.

It took a bit of google-fu to figure out when that was.........but I found the news release: (well, the notification of it in the Bloomberg system)

c2712 - TORONTO : MEDIA ALERT: LCBO LAUNCHES BOTTLE-YOUR-OWN (BYO) WINE
PILOT PROGRAM; FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 14, 10:00 AM (wine-pilot-program)

I took a wines of the world course there years ago. Not sure they still do them there (notwithstanding pausing all such things during the pandemic) but those should probably only be conducted at locations on the subway…

I took a wines of the world course there years ago. Not sure they still do them there (notwithstanding pausing all such things during the pandemic) but those should probably only be conducted at locations on the subway…

In Toronto, they've been running their programs/classes (pre-pandemic) out of Queen's Quay, Summerhill and Bayview. The only suburban location (beyond City limits, but within the GTA) I'm aware of is Oakville.

As opposed to the site at North Queen, this one makes some more sense to look at for residential. We can see this an expanded aerial view for context:

View attachment 384964

There's already residential directly across Weston Road, as well as across the railway corridor and just south of Oak. While some 'industrial uses' do remain, it's much less bleak and under-serviced than North Queen.

Here you already have a supermarket and parks close by. There are some challenges mind you, such as the lack of nearby elementary school (nearest is ~ 1.2km from the southern lip of the site, 1.7km for the nearest public school.

The rail line in behind this site is CP's mainline to western Canada, the MacTier sub.

Here is the logical case for a GO Stn whether or not the service ever reaches Bolton. The corridor currently has one track, but room for 2 w/o any serious modifications. The ROW w/retaining walls could support 3 tracks quite easily; but the station
will have to be on what is now private property.
The immediate area once did have an elementary school, but the 401 East offramp now takes its place. Not a bad looking building. (credit images to the Weston Historical Society FB page)
1659673103578.png
1659673200505.png

Might I add, this would be a great spot for a transit-oriented community with a GO station on a future Caledon line

edit: could be an interchange with a future Sheppard line extension running along Wilson out to the airport too. A beautiful transit pipe dream

Back