News   Jun 03, 2024
 266     0 
News   May 31, 2024
 1.2K     9 
News   May 31, 2024
 4.1K     2 

VIA Rail

Please remain civil - just because you don't agree with me isn't a reason for personal attacks. Even if I am 100% wrong.
Come on, give @DirectionNorth and all the rest of us a break!

You already shouted “personal attacks!” when someone merely insinuated that having lived in Montreal, but not Ottawa might cloud your perception about the relative size of both cities.

And then in the very next post, you have the audacity to accuse me of “cherry-picking” when I provide a comprehensive list of population centers recognized as CA/CMAs, but you don’t correct a single figure and then state sarcastically “wow, you missed Hamilton!” when I explicitly counted the “Total CMA/CA population between MTRL and the GTHA”, you know: the Greater Toronto and *drumroll* Hamilton Area.

In your next response, you have the audacity to suggest that I only raise objection against your disrespectful tone because of my “desire to dodge the question”.

And then you provide the most generic and passive-aggressive “apology” when I merely asked you to please return to a respectful tone ("to remain civil", to use your own words).

Fast forward one day, and it's again your universal complaint “personal attack!”, this time directed at someone who remarks that unless you send us your messages across the boundaries of time, there is no way that your assumptions hold true at the very moment where you were writing them.

Don’t get me wrong: I can understand those people who want to feel valued and respected regardless of whether people agree or disagree with their opinions just as well as those who just want to exchange rational arguments and see any inter-personal sentimentalities and disharmonies as a distraction and waste of energy. However, I personally find the way in which you jump back and forth – and this goes far beyond the last 2 days – between over-sensitivity (whenever someone refers to you as a person in even the most innocent way) and complete tone-deafness (whenever someone expresses not feeling respected by the way you communicate with them) somewhere between inconsistent, hypocritical and even self-righteous.

As much as you apparently perceive yourself as being attacked for simply voicing and vigorously defending a dissenting opinion, when you find yourself contradicted from all directions and nobody bothers to defend at least some of your points, you would make this entire discussion much less frustrating for you and everyone you interact with (including those who just try to read through pages of heated exchanges between yourself and half-a-dozen other people) if you finally started considering that the way how you say things might matter just as much as what you say. Sometimes, the only way to have a friend is to be a friend…

Thank you and have a good night!

Last edited:
... you provide the most generic and passive-aggressive “apology” when I merely asked you please return to a respectful tone.
It was sincere - but I was confused why you were so upset, which did, I'm afraid, mean it was going to be generic ... but I thought that better than digging deeper.

Now that I know it was the "Seems to be some cherry picking here" comment - which I certainly didn't mean to be disrespectful - and simply means that I think you may have been selective - though not entirely sure. 'Fixation' however means I'm being 'obsessive' - which is personal.

I never meant the cherry picking to be at all offensive. I'm sorry that I offended you.

... this time directed at someone who remarks that unless you send us your messages across the boundaries of time
I wasn't particularly referring to that comment - but there were about 4 or 5 in that post, that seemed to be non-neutral - particularly the "arbitrary standard you've set in your head ...". Perhaps 'hostility' would have been a better word.

Last edited:
It was sincere - but I was confused why you were so upset, which did, I'm afraid, mean it was going to be generic ... but I thought that better than digging deeper.

Now that I know it was the "Seems to be some cherry picking here" comment - which I certainly didn't mean to be disrespectful - and simply means that I think you may have been selective - though not entirely sure. 'Fixation' however means I'm being 'obsessive' - which is personal.

I never meant the cherry picking to be at all offensive. I'm sorry that I offended you.
I'm happy that you finally seem to acknowledge that this is an inter-personal issue (and like all interpersonal issues, there are always two sides who play there part - and as some people here may be able attest, I'm no saint either!). ;)

Let's take this private, shall we...?

Last edited:
Playing amateur lawyer here…. Once VIA has its own line, I expect CN’s position before the CTA would be….CN has always respected the public interest ie VIA’s need for a high quality route to connect Toronto, Ottawa, and Montreal… and CN recognized that this traditionally fell on CN’s shoulders as an obligation to the public good, even in the face of the divestiture of CN as a public asset.

But now that VIA has its own route, CN should be relieved of the obligation to provide that high quality route…. and it is now able to degrade the Kingston line to whatever capacity and quality it needs for its freight operation.

CN is likely to keep the line in good enough shape for good speed - perhaps 75-80 mph for passenger, as we see on other lines eg the Dundas Sub. But does CN need double track throughout? Probably not…. for the number of freight trains they operate, they could revert to single track, as they have from Toronto to Winnipeg.

One has to believe that some amount of rail on the Kingston Sub is nearing end of life. Once VIA is reduced to local service, what compels CN to replace old rail as it wears out? Maybe some sections are taken out of service, or slow orders are placed on the track. Ties, ditto.

I had heard a couple of months ago that VIA’s service agreement with CN was up for renewal. We don’t know how strong VIA’s levers to enforce its contract might be, and I will bet that CN will have sought looser terms in the renewal negotiations.

It’s all very well to talk about what legislation might enable, but clearly no party with the prospect of forming a government is willing to contemplate that.

My bottom line - I suspect CN has decided that it’s time for VIA to exit, and it may have the upper hand. I doubt a VIA Fast plan can be imposed on CN even if it were the more attractive business case. CN can simply decline to fix the track beyond what its freight needs. CN may be holding the trump cards.

- Paul
You do know that the agreement would need to stay in place due to the fact that we dont have HFR built yet, and dont know if we will, and the fact that since VIA only owns a small portion of their network they rely heavily on CN to run their trains.

And being an essential service CN cannot just "end" the relationship. Good luck explaining that to the government spending money to subsidize VIA Rail.

You do know that the agreement would need to stay in place due to the fact that we dont have HFR built yet, and dont know if we will, and the fact that since VIA only owns a small portion of their network they rely heavily on CN to run their trains.

And being an essential service CN cannot just "end" the relationship. Good luck explaining that to the government spending money to subsidize VIA Rail.

I’m sure it would continue, yes, but I have too much faith in CN’s negotiators to believe that they would not seize the opporunity to serve notice in a bunch of ways, and maybe convert some longstanding commitments to “for the moment” commitments, with sunset clauses…. and, as I tried to suggest, to point out that certain capital improvements (like replacing worn rail) are directly tied to VIA’s continued presence,, and if VIA continues to need that track for a few more yearsthey will have to pay for the upkeep, because after that the track won’t be needed.

I’m not a lawyer, but I have heard the term “detrimental reliance” too often in my career…… you told us you were about to launch a new railway, and we relied on that in good faith….

I’m sure there is already a plan in CN’s top drawer about how the Kingston Sub will be modified once VIA pulls back to local service. Shareholders do not allow a railway to maintain 700 miles of track and rail when only 400 miles worth is needed.

- Paul

Last edited:
Because it's no where near the performance that could be obtained by adding dedicated track (and new legislation)
Still no evidence.
to the Kingston Sub between Toronto and Kingston (and incrementally further). It's not even anywhere near as good as what VIA could achieve until relatively recently when CN started being increasingly difficult.
What's your solution? A genie lamp? If you want improvement, your personal fantasies cannot help.
As does the HFR plan of maintaining service on the Kingston-Toronto, Kingston-Montreal, and Kingston-Ottawa services. Not to mention the Montreal-Drummondville and Quebec City-Drummondville services (and if maintaining those is important, where are the Quebec-Sherbrooke and Montreal-Sherbrook services!).

You said faster trains, not decreased travel times.
I should have made myself more clear.
Decreased (and better) travel times could be achieved on the existing alignments if there was political will to legislate on how additional federally-funded tracks were to be used.
We know that already.

Do you have a concrete plan of how we can do that? Come back when you do.
Given that most of the HFR system getting new service is going to be shared with freight, doesn't that kill HFR as well?
?

It's ... not?
Ah, that's where I heard it - doesn't that imply that T-M service is using the Ottawa bypass from the very beginning?
We don't know yet. I don't believe that the decrease will be 90 minutes.
The minister himself said they'd be knocking 90 minutes off the T-M travel times! That would put them less than 4 hours - which can't be achieved without a bypass (and even then it seems iffy).
Ignoring real world distances? Going through Ottawa is 15 km longer than the Kingston Sub.

Money that is put into the bypass could be put into speed improvements to T-M and O-whatever corridor.
No - new alignment from Ottawa to Smith Falls, somewhere near, but a bit east of Highway 15. And also routing all T-M trains through both Kingston and Ottawa - unlike what it appears HFR is now doing.
Map?
Not today, but with the upgrades that VIA Fast envisioned, and legislation to provide VIA with priority access to additional tracks along the CN Kingston Sub.
Again, useless statement. Can you get this implemented? I will be deeply impressed if you could.
It would have - but not as good as the option of keeping Dorval for all passenger traffic, and moving freight to another (much smaller) location.
Absolutely correct.

Because it's no where near the performance that could be obtained by adding dedicated track (and new legislation) to the Kingston Sub between Toronto and Kingston (and incrementally further). It's not even anywhere near as good as what VIA could achieve until relatively recently when CN started being increasingly difficult.

As I said earlier....Delusional. Your plan literally lies on legislation that neither major party has shown any willingness to put forward in government. What would suddenly change that history? And after that legislation, there's also the major court fight and constitutional challenges that would likely arise from such expropriation.

As does the HFR plan of maintaining service on the Kingston-Toronto, Kingston-Montreal, and Kingston-Ottawa services. Not to mention the Montreal-Drummondville and Quebec City-Drummondville services (and if maintaining those is important, where are the Quebec-Sherbrooke and Montreal-Sherbrook services!).

The places with more riders get priority. It's a shocking concept, I know.

I’m sure there is already a plan in CN’s top drawer about how the Kingston Sub will be modified once VIA pulls back to local service. Shareholders do not allow a railway to maintain 700 miles of track and rail when only 400 miles worth is needed.

Well put. I am always struck at the naivete on this forum, from people who genuinely believe that CN is interested in supporting VIA over and above minimum financial self-interest.

At least nfitz understand that we'd need extraordinary legislation and the better part of a decade in court to compel them to do more.

Still no evidence.
You need me to show evidence that they can run in 4 hours on the Kingston Sub from Montreal to Toronto? We know that already.

If you want improvement, your personal fantasies cannot help.
What? And besides - these are hardly my ideas. They are actually what VIA promised and the federal government funded previously.

Do you have a concrete plan of how we can do that? Come back when you do.
You want a concrete plan on how VIA Fast would be achieved? And yet we haven't seen that yet for HFR - heck we don't even have an alignment, between the route into Toronto, the Ottawa bypass, the connection around Couteau, and the connection from Central Station - or is it Cote-de-Liesse station ... or Parc station ... maybe they'll restore Viger station ...

There'll be freight on the HSR line from Agincourt to Peterborough. From Smith Falls to near Dorval. And from Montreal to Ste-Foy. That's more than half. Relatively under-used lines, sure (but will the north shore get more freight once the line is upgraded for HFR?) Though the piece of the CP Belleville sub and the Winchester sub are hardly under-used.

I don't believe that the decrease will be 90 minutes.

You don't trust VIA and/or the federal government to deliver what they've promised? Me either!

Ignoring real world distances? Going through Ottawa is 15 km longer than the Kingston Sub.
For the current VIA service on Kingston sub, the distance is 335 miles.

For the HFR route, Montreal to Ottawa was 116 miles (CN 1967 schedule) - subtract a couple of mile from the old station on Rideau is 114 miles. Ottawa to Smith Falls was 41 miles (VIA 1988 schedule) - subtrack 2 miles from the old Ottawa station is 39 miles, and Smith Falls to Toronto through Peterborough was 199.9 miles (CP 1950 schedule). The total is 350 miles on the nose.

Ah, 15 miles difference, not 15 km but 24 km.

It's the alignment shown in red in the EcoRail study. (alternative, using the EcoRail alignment is very similar)

But Urban Sky would know best - and probably has a better figure somewhere.

2011%2BWindsor%2BQuebec%2BCity%2BHigh%2BSpeed%2BRail%2BMap%2B-%2BEcoTrans.jpg

For the current VIA service on Kingston sub, the distance is 335 miles.

For the HFR route, Montreal to Ottawa was 116 miles (CN 1967 schedule) - subtract a couple of mile from the old station on Rideau is 114 miles. Ottawa to Smith Falls was 41 miles (VIA 1988 schedule) - subtrack 2 miles from the old Ottawa station is 39 miles, and Smith Falls to Toronto through Peterborough was 199.9 miles (CP 1950 schedule). The total is 350 miles on the nose.

Ah, 15 miles difference, not 15 km but 24 km.

That's it?

So about 10 mins of run time + whatever the stops add. Seems to me they'd be better off building station bypass tracks and allowing for skip stop service, over designing and maintaining an entire bypass corridor.

They should also be able to wring out 10-20 mins more elsewhere for little more than that bypass would cost. The bypass looks even more pointless now that I look at the numbers.

So about 10 mins of run time
Assuming an average speed of 144 km/hr.

Current best time between Smith Falls and Ottawa is 45 minutes to go 39 miles - about 84 km/hr.

Current best time between Casselman and Ottawa is 25 minutes to go 29 miles - about 112 km/hr. Average is 98 km/hr.

25 km at 98 km/hr adds 15 minutes. Probably about 20 minutes total. And that's assume that moving from running through Kingston to running through Peterborough has the same average speed, other than the run up to Smith Falls.

Last edited:
Current best time between Smith Falls and Ottawa is 45 minutes to go 39 miles - about 56 km/hr.

Current best time between Casselman and Ottawa is 25 minutes to go 29 miles - about 64 km/hr. Let's call it 60 km/hr

I should hope the billions we're about to spend, should substantially improve that. This looks like low hanging fruit.

I should hope the billions we're about to spend, should substantially improve that. This looks like low hanging fruit.
Should it? I thought the money was being spent on the segments that weren't already VIA owned and operated.

VIA has been working for years to incrementally upgrade this track. If you look back at 1988 the best time to Casselman was 31 minutes, compared to 25 minutes today.

Should it?

Yes. If it didn't, they wouldn't be able to achieve their Toronto-Ottawa travel time.
I thought the money was being spent on the segments that weren't already VIA owned and operated.

Who said that? And clearly if a bypass using the Winchester sub is proposed, that's not happening.

I think most of us would prefer that as much of VIA's capex for HFR, as possible, be spent on segments that VIA owns.

Back