306     0 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 670     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 1.5K     0 

Metrolinx: Other Items (catch all)

Yuck.

A621FC92-CC88-422C-BE92-D1BA74D3E86A.jpeg

I know a lot has been written in support of this new wayfinding/signage change, but I think this is ridiculous. Great - it's a transit facility: what stops there? GO, VIA? Oakville Transit? What mode types (local? regional?) This sign is devoid of useful information.

I tried to be reasonable, I tried to say "Maybe this won't be that bad" and I used to defend this wayfinding and called it good, but no I hate this, I really really hate this.

The TTC just redid their entire wayfinding, and while it is bland in some areas, in terms of functionality and usability its a SLAM DUNK, especially when you compare it to... this.

This font Metrolinx chose, I don't know where they got the idea this is "legible", I feel like if I stood 100m away from this sign I'd have to squint in order to make out any of the letters. The letters are crunched so closely together, and the choice of regular capitalization makes it so much more difficult to distinguish the individual letters. It is so much easier (at least for me) to read the TTC signage, and I know this is true for many other people (people with a large variance in eyesight quality).
unknown.png

Metrolinx' signage is also so bland, its the simple modernist style that has no originality and has nothing that allows it to stand out from any other city. People compare the T to Boston, and while the final T looks somewhat different from Boston, your average person isn't going to be able to tell the difference, and the T just looks like 90% of other transit agencies within the US.

People compare the T to Boston, and while the final T looks somewhat different from Boston, your average person isn't going to be able to tell the difference, and the T just looks like 90% of other transit agencies within the US.
Funnily enough, Metrolinx settled on the T roundel only after almost selecting a double chevron symbol, which, well, looks a lot like SEPTA's traditional and recently revamped transit symbol:

1634228333125.png

From KerrSmith Design
1634228239687.png

From SEPTA

(Shaking Head)

... because the traditional "Sideways T" was just so hard to spot or comprehend.....

- Paul

Funnily enough, Metrolinx settled on the T roundel only after almost selecting a double chevron symbol, which, well, looks a lot like SEPTA's traditional and recently revamped transit symbol:

View attachment 355652
From KerrSmith Design
View attachment 355651
From SEPTA
So in other words, they paid consultants hundreds of thousands (potentially millions), only to come up with generic designs that are already used and exist in North America?

Your tax dollars are hard at work ladies and gentlemen.

Back