News   Mar 28, 2024
 436     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 305     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 324     0 

VIA Rail

Has VIA started to repaint some of their stainless steel equipment? I was walking down the street his afternoon and in the distance a train (presumably to Ottawa or Montreal) passed. The first car next to the locomotive had a dark stripe where the windows were, and I thought I saw some yellow above the windows. The rest was typical stainless steel equipment.

Looking on the fleet website, the closest I can see is this inactive observation car - but I don't think this was it.

VIA_club_observation.jpg

You are describing the new color scheme of the refurbished HEP1 coaches:
Screenshot_20211005-200425_Samsung Internet.jpg

Source: railpictures.ca

Last edited:
You are describing the new color scheme of the refurbished HEP1 coaches:
Quite possibly - but the turquoise looked more like charcoal to me - but perhaps it was the light.

How long have they been in service to Toronto? I'll keep my eyes peeled next time.

The brightline ventures have flush panels in the underfloor of the car to streamline the underbody. Currently the via sets dont appear to have them? Will they be installed later or will they
remain exposed as they are?

No, the VIA sets will not have installed the additional panels under the cars. (Which is a shame, as I too really like their look.)

Dan

The brightline ventures have flush panels in the underfloor of the car to streamline the underbody. Currently the via sets dont appear to have them? Will they be installed later or will they
remain exposed as they are?

No, the VIA sets will not have installed the additional panels under the cars. (Which is a shame, as I too really like their look.)

Dan
It could also be some sort of requirements from the state of Florida as well and not something that is required or practical here in Canada.

You are describing the new color scheme of the refurbished HEP1 coaches

They look a bit darker in person. I've ridden on them a few times over the summer between Ottawa and Montreal. Same interior as the renovated LRC coaches but a bit larger and boxier. They still seem to be using the old bogies because the grinding sounds around sharp corners haven't gone away

A while back I stumbled across VIA Rail's Triennial Plan (dated September 17, 2018) which lists the track owned by VIA Rail. The following I knew about and make total sense:
  • Alexandria Sub (milepost 0.40 to 76.43),
  • Beachburg Sub (milepost 0.00 to 6.00),
  • Smiths Falls Sub (milepost 0.00 to 34.40),
  • Brockville Sub (milepost 0.10 to 27.80), and
  • Chatham Sub (milepost 63.90 to 105.60).
However, the following two caught me off guard:
  • Bridge Sub (milepost 15.71 to 15.90), and
  • Grimsby Sub (milepost 0.35 to 0.47).
I double checked against CN's Three-Year Rail Network Plan (dated July 4, 2019), and sure enough they don't include those sections of track. They only have listed:
  • Bridge Sub (milepost 0.00 to 15.70), and
  • Grimsby Sub (milepost 0.47 to 43.70).
After a bit of digging, I discovered that the section of the Bridge Sub in question is the stub of track leading into Gare du Palais in Quebec City, so that makes sense (AFAIK, VIA owns the station).

The Grimsby Sub is confusing though. From my digging, Niagara Falls Station is at milepost 0.6, so that would mean that VIA owns is the 0.12 miles (approx. 195m) of track 0.13 miles (approx. 210m) east of the station. According to my estimates, that would be the section of track highlighted in the map below. Does this make any sense to anyone?

VIA Grimsby Sub.png

map courtesy Canadian Rail Atlas

The Grimsby Sub is confusing though. From my digging, Niagara Falls Station is at milepost 0.6, so that would mean that VIA owns is the 0.12 miles (approx. 195m) of track 0.13 miles (approx. 210m) east of the station. According to my estimates, that would be the section of track highlighted in the map below. Does this make any sense to anyone?
Off the top of my head, a few years ago CN proposed to abandon the track over the bridge to save on maintenance costs. It's possible that VIA purchased the track over the bridge to enable Maple Leaf service to continue. Or VIA purchased the Canadian half and Amtrak purchased the American half.

Last edited:

Back