News   Apr 19, 2024
 792     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 650     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1K     3 

Roads: Gardiner Expressway catch-all, incl. Hybrid Design (2015-onwards)

Watching 8 years of chaos outside my door on Eglinton all I can say is people will figure out the new optimal way to minimize the impact to them. When they first closed lanes on Eglinton there were traffic jams, but now people just don't go that way and the traffic flows fairly well most of the time.

It is a bit surprising that there wasn't more dissent in the public review meetings on this forcing the staging of things to be better. However, it seems that the city is good at deciding what it wants but not great at finding the money to get started and the fact that Waterfront Toronto is getting their work done in a timely manner collided with the city's delays in this instance. If the city had got to work on their hybrid option back in 2015 or whenever they decided the future of the Gardiner, the elevated ramp wouldn't be in the way of the river widening.

Waterfront Toronto is getting their work done in a timely manner collided with the city's delays in this instance
I think waterfront Toronto is the problem they have all of these projects going on that nobody knows about or understands and they have been given too much athorety to carry them out

I think waterfront Toronto is the problem they have all of these projects going on that nobody knows about or understands and they have been given too much athorety to carry them out
They are one of the most open open government bodies I have ever seen. There are a lot of public information sessions to collect feedback and help guide the design, you can see feedback incorporated into design iterations, and everything they do passes through council. If people don't know about these projects they aren't trying to know about these projects. It seems like you are almost upset that Waterfront Toronto is actually getting done what they set out to do.

The gardiner needs to be repaired, traffic would be screwed regardless. Just be thankful it's getting replaced and not demolished.

that said - can anyone explain when they intend to re-open the lake shore ramp? It's planned to get moved to Cherry as a part of Gardiner East, correct? All the articles seem to indicate it will re-open in 2025, but on the City's Gardiner Rehabilitation website, the Gardiner East replacement work doesn't even begin until 2026.

How come I get the feeling that Lake Shore East vehicles will be exiting at Jarvis for the next 9 years?

The gardiner needs to be repaired, traffic would be screwed regardless. Just be thankful it's getting replaced and not demolished.

that said - can anyone explain when they intend to re-open the lake shore ramp? It's planned to get moved to Cherry as a part of Gardiner East, correct? All the articles seem to indicate it will re-open in 2025, but on the City's Gardiner Rehabilitation website, the Gardiner East replacement work doesn't even begin until 2026.

How come I get the feeling that Lake Shore East vehicles will be exiting at Jarvis for the next 9 years?

I am pretty sure this is an accurate statement, since the new Lake Shore ramp coincides with the new DVP ramp shift north.

Super excited this is being done. Can't wait to see it finished. Just can't believe how long it's going to take. I wish they could do it all in a year or two.

They are one of the most open open government bodies I have ever seen. There are a lot of public information sessions to collect feedback and help guide the design, you can see feedback incorporated into design iterations, and everything they do passes through council. If people don't know about these projects they aren't trying to know about these projects. It seems like you are almost upset that Waterfront Toronto is actually getting done what they set out to do.
A Facebook post the day before you start a major four years long project that should have had a much larger and longer public consultation then it did have is not an effective way to inform the public.

A Facebook post the day before you start a major four years long project that should have had a much larger and longer public consultation then it did have is not an effective way to inform the public.
I've known about this for years, following it here, on the waterfrontTO website, multiple news articles that have gone through the papers/TV. Maybe not the exact schedule but all of these have been in the works and public knowledge since they were voted on by council. The information just might have not been where you were looking. I have participated in a few of the public meetings also and I am an East ender and a regular joe citizen.

I've known about this for years, following it here, on the waterfrontTO website, multiple news articles that have gone through the papers/TV. Maybe not the exact schedule but all of these have been in the works and public knowledge since they were voted on by council. The information just might have not been where you were looking. I have participated in a few of the public meetings also and I am an East ender and a regular joe citizen.

No kidding, it's been discussed on UT umpteen times - there is really no excuse for anyone on here who is remotely interested to miss it (nevermind the City and WT public process).

AoD

That is the most amazing misrepresentation of WT: their projects are discussed at MANY open public meetings, many meetings with stakeholders and they have LOTS of info on their website. They have managed to work their way through federal-provincial-municipal squabbles to hugely improve our waterfront and are owed MUCH credit and many thanks for all they have done and are doing.

I'm sorry but that doesn't cut it for everyone many people in the city didn't know about this happening, not everyone reads articles here also if you look at most things on waterfront Toronto unless it's a major anouncment like this this there is very little engagement with anyone at all. Most of the time a post night have one share or none at all. The average person in Toronto has no clue what waterfront Toronto is doing except for now.

That is the most amazing misrepresentation of WT: their projects are discussed at MANY open public meetings, many meetings with stakeholders and they have LOTS of info on their website. They have managed to work their way through federal-provincial-municipal squabbles to hugely improve our waterfront and are owed MUCH credit and many thanks for all they have done and are doing.
I personally think that this project does nothing at all and is going to just move traffic on lake shore to a new location once the new ramp opens.

I personally think that this project does nothing at all and is going to just move traffic on lake shore to a new location once the new ramp opens.
I totally agree they should have provided a better alternative during the project.

However, we should also understand this isn't a traffic improvement project. Traffic isn't going away and improving it doesn't help anything. The project is intended to relocated the Gardiner, open up the eastern waterfront for development and improve the city. Otherwise they wouldn't have to do anything at all.

Although you could be right, this could be another useless project if it ends up like another Humber Bay or Regent Park development. It just brought more investors to buy out all the condos to make themselves rich while the working class have to pay them rent bring close to zero long term economy bonus to the city. Once developed, they area becomes "useless" unless there is office towers and tourist attractions.

Back