News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 331     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 896     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

From Colin D'Mello:

"I never mislead anyone," Premier Ford says of his claim that anyone 18+ can be vaccinated in hot spot communities. People 18-49 are unable to use the provincial website to book an appointment -- they have to wait for a pop-up to arrive in their neighbourhood.
---
Provincial bureaucrats acknowledged today that they changed the plan to include people 18+ in hotspots after the premier made the announcement on Apr 7th.

If that CNN report says nothing about the USA’s de facto vaccine export ban and hoarding of unused AstraZeneca vaccine, I don’t want to hear it. Canada can’t even rely on it’s closest ally for help. We have to rely on Europe and India who are basically supplying the world.

The country that has f*cked up it’s response to the pandemic the most gets to reward itself with an easy way out. Yes I’m pissed off. And not just about our situation. Lots of other countries are suffering. F*ck Biden and his vaccine nationalism.

Politically I don't think *any* US president can survive exporting vaccines while their population remain mostly unvaccinated due to unavailability. Frankly I am more angry at our governments for not being prepared than country x or y not allowing export. We would have done exactly the same in their position. In fact, I am surprised by the amount of vaccines we have gotten from the EU despite of their troubles with vaccinating their own population (and it is an issue that actually threatens the political stability of their bloc).

Also, knowing we don't have sufficient vaccines, we should have been even more careful in managing the pandemic to ensure it remains under control. We did the reverse. That is a purely self-inflicted wound - foolish and irresponsible to the Nth degree. It points to a broad failure in our governance that those in positions of responsibility didn't hesitate to put political expediency above the lives of citizens. There must be a reckoning of that.

AoD

Last edited:
I want to get vaccinated relatively soon. While I don't consider myself as really an "essential worker" (technically, the government says I am as a financial services worker, but that's horseshit) there's still a few tasks which require someone in the office to work on. There are EU companies that still insist on original signed "wet ink" documents to meet regulations there; no Docusign, no scans, no faxes, no call backs to prove a signature is real; they inisit on original signed copies! It's a pain as courier services to the EU, especially Ireland, are still much slower than normal.

Since I am one of the few people who live very close to the office, I volunteered to go in once a week if needed (it is about every other week), since a six stop trip on the King Streetcar has been relatively low risk as it is running generally at less than 20% capacity, especially in the early morning.

So the commute is fine, but, when I get to the office there is a problem. I guess it's a form of selection bias; many of the people who also volunteered to go in appear to have done so because they are the people who just don't give a crap about the pandemic and think they are invulnerable. They don't wear masks in the office--I can understand if you are sitting by yourself at your desk, or inside a private office, but they won't wear one when walking around, or going to the washroom, and they'll even come over to my desk to talk to me, standing there like it's 2019 and blabbering on about whatever. I don't want to be around those people unvaccinated! They even order-in lunch once a week and they all eat together in the lunchroom! Who knows what they are doing when not in the office. I'm shocked there hasn't been a COVID case there... yet.

That's brutal. I'd ask to opt-out of the in-office work if that was a possible option. I'm surprised your work doesn't have solid rules to follow while in the office.

I had a good experience getting the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine today at St. Michael's Hospital. In and out in about half an hour. For people 50 and over, their postal codes are different from what has been announced : M4X, M4Y, M5A, M5B and M5E. It is definitely advisable to look at vaccinesto.ca and not necessarily rely on the information published in the government's news releases and the media. Each hospital can decide to make additional people eligible.

I had a good experience getting the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine today at St. Michael's Hospital. In and out in about half an hour. For people 50 and over, their postal codes are different from what has been announced : M4X, M4Y, M5A, M5B and M5E. It is definitely advisable to look at vaccinesto.ca and not necessarily rely on the information published in the government's news releases and the media. Each hospital can decide to make additional people eligible.

Site must be down, browser(s) can't find it.

This is insane - the whole thing is so fragmented and ad-hoc. And the Ontario government website still doesn't allow those who are below 50 to get it even at a hotspot (nor Peel Region's).

AoD

Last edited:
This is insane - the whole thing is so fragmented and ad-hoc. And the Ontario government website still doesn't allow those who are below 50 to get it even at a hotspot (nor Peel Region's).

AoD
I absolutely agree! It's infuriating to the point that I've given up trying to look. On the provincial site it does absolutely nothing but redirect you to your local jurisdiction.

Another layer of confusion that I've come across is where/who would I be looking at for booking appointments? I hear people say some vaccinations are run by hospital networks while others are run by regional governments and to make things more worse are now these so called community-run vaccination groups. Where does one even begin to try and figure this out? I'm fair tech savvy but this whole process is frustrating. It's almost as if the governments don't want you to get a vaccine so they can save cost by not administering more...I know a horrible thought but a thought that does come across.

Last edited:
I absolutely agree! It's infuriating to the point that I've given up trying to look. On the provincial site it does absolutely nothing but redirect you to your local jurisdiction.

Another layer of confusion that I've come across is where/who would I be looking at for booking appointments? I hear people say some vaccinations are run by hospital networks while others are run by regional governments and to make things more worse are now these so called community-run vaccination groups. Where does one even begin to try and figure this out? I'm fair tech savvy but this whole process is frustrating. It's almost as if the governments don't want you to get a vaccine so they can save cost by not administering more...I know a horrible thought but a thought that does come across.

It's like the government is panicking, basically threw up their hands and dumped it onto the local providers - saying you figure it out without much thought. We have been reduced to hear-say, relying on connections, etc. That is no way to run a vaccination program. There is nothing wrong not being able to vaccinate everyone at once given demand will outstrip supply, but there is also no excuse as to why things are this chaotic (to the point where appointments in some of the most vulnerable areas - like Scarborough - are getting cancelled). Like you announce an immediate reduction in the age criterion, and yet your own system still isn't ready so many days after your announcement (nevermind that your vaccination sites didn't even know until you announced it publicly - with no details).

Seriously.

AoD

Last edited:
#BREAKING: 10,000 SHN vaccination appointments being cancelled in Scarborough due to lack of supply at two clinics

https://www.cp24.com/news/10-000-sh...ue-to-lack-of-supply-at-two-clinics-1.5386620
I think we have too many armchair quarterbacks criticizing logistics. You have some people complaining about safety stock kept in warehouses to ensure supply for clinics, and then you have people criticizing shortages leading to appointment cancellations. Dougie is not intimately involved in the complex supply chain management decisions that are being made here, except at the very highest level.

Back