News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 349     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 910     1 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

I want to get vaccinated relatively soon. While I don't consider myself as really an "essential worker" (technically, the government says I am as a financial services worker, but that's horseshit) there's still a few tasks which require someone in the office to work on. There are EU companies that still insist on original signed "wet ink" documents to meet regulations there; no Docusign, no scans, no faxes, no call backs to prove a signature is real; they inisit on original signed copies! It's a pain as courier services to the EU, especially Ireland, are still much slower than normal.

Since I am one of the few people who live very close to the office, I volunteered to go in once a week if needed (it is about every other week), since a six stop trip on the King Streetcar has been relatively low risk as it is running generally at less than 20% capacity, especially in the early morning.

So the commute is fine, but, when I get to the office there is a problem. I guess it's a form of selection bias; many of the people who also volunteered to go in appear to have done so because they are the people who just don't give a crap about the pandemic and think they are invulnerable. They don't wear masks in the office--I can understand if you are sitting by yourself at your desk, or inside a private office, but they won't wear one when walking around, or going to the washroom, and they'll even come over to my desk to talk to me, standing there like it's 2019 and blabbering on about whatever. I don't want to be around those people unvaccinated! They even order-in lunch once a week and they all eat together in the lunchroom! Who knows what they are doing when not in the office. I'm shocked there hasn't been a COVID case there... yet.

Last edited:

York Region’s medical officer says he was wrong about avoiding third COVID-19 wave​

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/can...ficer-says-he-was-wrong-about-avoiding-third/

“I agree we are definitely in the third wave,” he said. “But when we were looking at the data at that time, I wasn’t that convinced that we were going to get into a third wave. And I’ve always found that predicting anything seems to be really difficult.”
Dr. Kurji said there are reasons for optimism, with the new focus on vaccinating younger people in community hot spots. In York Region, he said, the new variants appear to have plateaued at 50 to 60 per cent of infections, and the time they take to double has increased to 12 days, meaning they are moving more slowly. It’s different than in the rest of the province, he said, where the variants are doubling every nine days.
This guy is Doug Ford's yes man :mad:

York Region’s medical officer says he was wrong about avoiding third COVID-19 wave​

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/can...ficer-says-he-was-wrong-about-avoiding-third/

This guy is Doug Ford's yes man :mad:
He should find another job if he find it so difficult even a week or so ago.

AoD

In fairness, in the article, it says one month ago........

"who just over a month ago predicted that his area would escape a third wave of COVID-19, now says his earlier optimistic forecast was based on receiving more vaccines to outrun the virus’s new, more contagious variants."

From a mathematical modelling point of view, had vaccination gone to schedule.......he might have been right'ish............

It occurs to me though, that both among the general public, and seemingly some medical professionals and politicians.........there seems to be confusion about fast vaccines are understood to work.

Though BC has a handy webpage........

(answer 2-3 weeks)

As such any assumptions made solely on the basis of percent vaccinated would be dubious, one would want to hit a target number, plus an additional 2-3 weeks, if that is the basis of a policy choice.

In fairness, in the article, it says one month ago........

"who just over a month ago predicted that his area would escape a third wave of COVID-19, now says his earlier optimistic forecast was based on receiving more vaccines to outrun the virus’s new, more contagious variants."

From a mathematical modelling point of view, had vaccination gone to schedule.......he might have been right'ish............

It occurs to me though, that both among the general public, and seemingly some medical professionals and politicians.........there seems to be confusion about fast vaccines are understood to work.

Though BC has a handy webpage........

(answer 2-3 weeks)

As such any assumptions made solely on the basis of percent vaccinated would be dubious, one would want to hit a target number, plus an additional 2-3 weeks, if that is the basis of a policy choice.

Wishful thinking and believing the best case scenario should drive decisions is bad policy in a pandemic - and counting on the limited amount of vaccination at this early stage to save the bacon is utter foolishness. He - like everyone else - knows approximately how many vaccines the provinces will be getting. This isn't February when the supply was severely restricted. Blaming the lack of vaccines (which he has no control over) is like the fallback excuse for errors of his own over policies that he has control over.

But Dr. Juni said that not only would an “early and hard lockdown” be beneficial, if we implement it now, it could reduce the length of a required lockdown from months to weeks.
In an interview with CTV News on Thursday, he said the variants of concern are posing a big problem for the Golden Horseshoe.
“If we want to get them (variants) under control and gain just a little bit of time so that the vaccine can kick in... then we just need to do things slightly differently,” Juni said.
“If we just are smart now and just change our attitude and go back to the way we locked down a year ago one more time and just focus on the areas that actually are in trouble right now... then we probably can get things under control again. And we are just talking about a few weeks.”
Kurji rejected the call for a lockdown, saying the red zone is already “very restrictive” and noted that his goal is to “arrive at a balancing point.”
---
I think people need hope now and we hope that through the vaccination strategy being rolled out we are giving them hope. We are giving them a little bit of breathing space right now.”
Ryan Imgrund, a biostatistician who has been tracking COVID-19 numbers, told CP24 earlier this week that it would be a mistake to think that vaccinations might hold off a rising tide of infections at this point.
“We have here in Ontario fully vaccinated two per cent of the population. That's one in 50 people who have been vaccinated, roughly,” he said. “One of 50 people have actually ever had COVID-19. That is not removing a significant population.”

Well, we have hope vs. virus. Guess which won? Not only that - but that non-durable "hope" actually end up making the situation worse and requires even more drastic measures, caused more infections and death not to mention economic damage. Some hope that is.

AoD

Last edited:
Time now for ALL people over 18 years old to get ANY COVID-19 vaccine. Should be able to make appointment on-line. Mobile vaccine clinics for the hard hit postal code areas.

I live in a hotspot postal code and the mobile clinics are a joke.

They are not advertised and I cannot book an appointment. I WANT to be vaccinated but I simply cannot as the clinics are inaccessible. I cannot take a few days off work to run to a clinic in the hopes of getting vaccinated nor will my work allow me to do so.

If I want to take time off work for vaccination I need something to say I have an appointment otherwise it looks like I am making it all up. That's if I can even find a mobile clinic.

There needs to be more coordination otherwise this is not going to end well. People who want to be vaccinated are the same people who cannot stand in line all day while they need to go to work. People are not getting paid to wait in line and bills cannot be paid with good intentions.

I live in a hotspot postal code and the mobile clinics are a joke.

They are not advertised and I cannot book an appointment. I WANT to be vaccinated but I simply cannot as the clinics are inaccessible. I cannot take a few days off work to run to a clinic in the hopes of getting vaccinated nor will my work allow me to do so.

If I want to take time off work for vaccination I need something to say I have an appointment otherwise it looks like I am making it all up. That's if I can even find a mobile clinic.

There needs to be more coordination otherwise this is not going to end well. People who want to be vaccinated are the same people who cannot stand in line all day while they need to go to work. People are not getting paid to wait in line and bills cannot be paid with good intentions.

Exactly - people need to understand their privilege accessing the vaccines is not a universal thing - and that's one driver behind the unequal vaccination rates.

AoD

Exactly - people need to understand their privilege accessing the vaccines is not a universal thing - and that's one driver behind the unequal vaccination rates.

AoD

Sadly I think this will be the driving factor for alot of people not getting vaccinated. As I said, the mother with 3 kids working two jobs cannot take days off work running back and forth to clinics. Even in Thorncliffe Park people were turned away due to lack of supply and told to come back another time.

Working people cannot wait in line hoping there is enough supply for those in line. As I said, I work during the day and cannot come back the next day despite wanting to.

Time now for ALL people over 18 years old to get ANY COVID-19 vaccine. Should be able to make appointment on-line. Mobile vaccine clinics for the hard hit postal code areas.
This is wishful thinking. We don't have the supply yet.

You know things are bad when Canada's pandemic woes are making international headlines on CNN, BBC and Sky News out of Australia. Even my friend in Norway messaged me making sure i was ok, it's making the news in Norway. 🤦‍♂️

From CTV:

AoD

I'm in a hot spot, WFH, 30, living with my partner who also WFH.
As soon as I can find out where and when, we'll be getting vaccinated.

The ethical thing to do is to get vaccinated as soon as you can.

You know things are bad when Canada's pandemic woes are making international headlines on CNN, BBC and Sky News out of Australia. Even my friend in Norway messaged me making sure i was ok, it's making the news in Norway. 🤦‍♂️

If that CNN report says nothing about the USA’s de facto vaccine export ban and hoarding of unused AstraZeneca vaccine, I don’t want to hear it. Canada can’t even rely on it’s closest ally for help. We have to rely on Europe and India who are basically supplying the world.

The country that has f*cked up it’s response to the pandemic the most gets to reward itself with an easy way out. Yes I’m pissed off. And not just about our situation. Lots of other countries are suffering. F*ck Biden and his vaccine nationalism.

Back