News   Jun 03, 2024
 179     0 
News   Jun 03, 2024
 652     0 
News   May 31, 2024
 1.3K     9 

Transit Fantasy Maps

You could just take the subway to bridge that gap and itd be faster.
Only by way of a double transfer with a one stop connection on BD, but yes, I assume such a connection would include Agincourt, why on earth would you come that close and not?

Oh, in retrospect I sketched it on Kennedy proper, but yes, I would think the rail corridor and Highland Creek makes more sense.

If you assume fair integration (hopefully it'll happen eventually), BRT seems like a much more flexible option for the region:

Transit-Layout1 (2).png

Scarborough yards station is just north of the Sheppard McCowan interstection (see image below). It would be large enough for dedicated platforms for VIA HFR, a future GO midtown line, Line 2 extension, and a line 4 extension. You could potentially connect line 2 and line 4 to allow through running,
1616104428424.png

The BRT routes through the region allow for easy trips to most key areas or transfer points. All routes would ideally have dedicated lanes and signal priority,
  • Viva Red A
    • Cornell to Scarbourough Yards station
    • Routes via Highway 7 and McCowan
  • Viva Red B
    • Cornell to UTSC, west on Highway 7
    • Routes via Highway 7, McCowan, Finch, Neilson, and Ellesmere
  • Steeles BRT A
    • Pioneer Village/Highway 407 to Scarborough Yards
    • Routes via Steeles and McCowan
  • Steeles BRT B
    • Pioneer Village/Highway 407 to Cornell
    • Routes via Steeles, McCowan, and Cornell
  • Malvern Express Bus
    • Malvern to STC
    • Routes via Neilson and Ellesmere
  • Durham Pulse
    • Oshawa to Lesmill station (New station on the Richmond Hill line at York Mills)
    • Routes via Highway 2, Ellesmere, Parkwoods Village, and York Mills
  • Eglinton East LRT
    • Uses proposed routing to pan-am, then up Morningside until the rail corridor, uses rail ROW to get to Scarborough Yards

Only by way of a double transfer with a one stop connection on BD, but yes, I assume such a connection would include Agincourt, why on earth would you come that close and not?

Oh, in retrospect I sketched it on Kennedy proper, but yes, I would think the rail corridor and Highland Creek makes more sense.
it would require a double transfer if coming from centennial but just about every other major destination on there connects to Sheppard-McCowan somehow. Maybe if the area around Agincourt GO was more of a destination but I just don't think there's the ridership between Agincourt and stc to support an entirely new segment of lrt just to avoid a transfer, when both are already on the subway system.
If you assume fair integration (hopefully it'll happen eventually), BRT seems like a much more flexible option for the region:

View attachment 306582
Scarborough yards station is just north of the Sheppard McCowan interstection (see image below). It would be large enough for dedicated platforms for VIA HFR, a future GO midtown line, Line 2 extension, and a line 4 extension. You could potentially connect line 2 and line 4 to allow through running,
View attachment 306583
The BRT routes through the region allow for easy trips to most key areas or transfer points. All routes would ideally have dedicated lanes and signal priority,
  • Viva Red A
    • Cornell to Scarbourough Yards station
    • Routes via Highway 7 and McCowan
  • Viva Red B
    • Cornell to UTSC, west on Highway 7
    • Routes via Highway 7, McCowan, Finch, Neilson, and Ellesmere
  • Steeles BRT A
    • Pioneer Village/Highway 407 to Scarborough Yards
    • Routes via Steeles and McCowan
  • Steeles BRT B
    • Pioneer Village/Highway 407 to Cornell
    • Routes via Steeles, McCowan, and Cornell
  • Malvern Express Bus
    • Malvern to STC
    • Routes via Neilson and Ellesmere
  • Durham Pulse
    • Oshawa to Lesmill station (New station on the Richmond Hill line at York Mills)
    • Routes via Highway 2, Ellesmere, Parkwoods Village, and York Mills
  • Eglinton East LRT
    • Uses proposed routing to pan-am, then up Morningside until the rail corridor, uses rail ROW to get to Scarborough Yards
Quite the brt plan there damn I like the idea of the drt brt going past Scarborough centre but unless it goes downtown there's really no point. It really just needs to be a shuttle from Durham to the subway. Makes more sense as a separate Ellesmere/York mills brt. The use of the rail corridor on the eelrt is interesting though!
(also guildwood rd doesn't actually exist its guildwood parkway, but the stop would probably just be called guildwood, with the go station being guildwood GO or celeste or something.

Quite the brt plan there damn I like the idea of the drt brt going past Scarborough centre but unless it goes downtown there's really no point. It really just needs to be a shuttle from Durham to the subway. Makes more sense as a separate Ellesmere/York mills brt. The use of the rail corridor on the eelrt is interesting though!
In a perfect world, express busses are run by a regional agency. So the highway 2/ellesmere bus doesn't care much about municipal boundaries. The STC to york mills route could be a forced transfer to balance frequencies and schedules though. My other thought is to run the route from Malvern to York Mills. The BRT infrastructure is good as it can be implemented in stages, allows flexible routing, and can run at comparable frequencies and speeds to on-street LRT. Assuming there are decent higher-order connections in the area, Scarborough is good for BRT as it has wide ROWs and density spread enough that you don't overload a corridor between higher-order connection points. My plan does require some of the higher-order connections though, I'd say the priority order would probably be:
  1. Line 2 extension to Scarborough Yards
  2. Frequent service on the Stouffville and Lakeshore lines
  3. Sheppard extension to Scarborough Yards
  4. GO Midtown line
  5. OL line extension to Steeles or at least Finch to connect to Seneca
  6. Frequent service on the Richmond Hill Line

In a perfect world, express busses are run by a regional agency. So the highway 2/ellesmere bus doesn't care much about municipal boundaries. The STC to york mills route could be a forced transfer to balance frequencies and schedules though. My other thought is to run the route from Malvern to York Mills. The BRT infrastructure is good as it can be implemented in stages, allows flexible routing, and can run at comparable frequencies and speeds to on-street LRT. Assuming there are decent higher-order connections in the area, Scarborough is good for BRT as it has wide ROWs and density spread enough that you don't overload a corridor between higher-order connection points. My plan does require some of the higher-order connections though, I'd say the priority order would probably be:
  1. Line 2 extension to Scarborough Yards
  2. Frequent service on the Stouffville and Lakeshore lines
  3. Sheppard extension to Scarborough Yards
  4. GO Midtown line
  5. OL line extension to Steeles or at least Finch to connect to Seneca
  6. Frequent service on the Richmond Hill Line
I do like the malvern to york mills station idea, though i think running it to utsc would be more useful. Have the durham-scarborough brt utilize much of the same infrastructure and there you have a tone of busses from stc to utsc really shuttling them to and from the subway, and then less but still very frequent busses running from stc to york mills, and utsc to Oshawa

View attachment 306700
got a bit carried away today.. thoughts? Toronto, 2121?
I like the split of line 1.

Sheppard following the 401 and Wilson is good, but I would continue it to the airport to provide a strong East-west link through the area. Wilson is 4km north of Eglinton and 4km south of Jane and would provide a transit alternative to the 401. The Finch LRT isn't a great line for getting people to and from the airport from any kind of distance as it is quite slow and on street. It's good for the local connections, but a long ride from Finch station.

I don't have the ability to make my own map, but I've always wondered about an alignment where, rather than having the "ontario line" dip down to exhibition, there would be a "reverse U" from exhibition to the portlands. To be more clear, if the ontario line went straight across Queen and then north on Roncesvales, you could have a separate line that goes north from exhibition then east along Dundas or College before turning south through regent park/corktown and into the port lands.

I love the Dufferin line in the above map. I've always thought Bremner is under-utilized.

Nice. Where does the Vincent name come from at Dundas West-Bloor? Why no RH from Union?

Originally there used to be a loop called "Vincent loop" at Dundas west station, named after Vincent street, which was eliminated when the Crossways complex was built. The official name of the subway yard to the west of Dundas West station is "Vincent Yard."

Originally, the TTC wanted to call Dundas West station "Vincent" to avoid confusion with Dundas station. Given how Dundas is now cancelled, it might have saved them some future costs on station renaming if they did.

Originally there used to be a loop called "Vincent loop" at Dundas west station, named after Vincent street, which was eliminated when the Crossways complex was built. The official name of the subway yard to the west of Dundas West station is "Vincent Yard."

Originally, the TTC wanted to call Dundas West station "Vincent" to avoid confusion with Dundas station. Given how Dundas is now cancelled, it might have saved them some future costs on station renaming if they did.
The reason I named 'Dundas West/Bloor' "Vincent is mostly that I like to avoid names with "West"/"East"/"North"/"South" as much as possible. Vincent is also not as long of a name and can fit a bit easier on the diagram than a longer name. you can also find that I renamed the current 'Lawrence West' to Marlee and gave the station at Lawrence/Dufferin "Lawrence West" (mostly to avoid a "Dufferin North" station name of which there is no precedent for in the city thus far).

Nice. Where does the Vincent name come from at Dundas West-Bloor? Why no RH from Union?
The RH corridor runs largely through the Don Valley flood plain, which makes it very unsuitable for frequent service, and likely wouldn't have service at all had it not been 'grandfathered' in. Iinstead included it on the midtown corridor lineusing the Leaside spur to connect with the rest of the RH corridorwhich doesn't run through a flood plain. The routing in the Don valley is also very long, windy, and generally slow to travel through, sodespite an extra transfer this configuration still is very likely to save more time, especially since all core sections of the suburban lines run at metro-level frequencies as is suggested by the REM branding.

Back