News   Apr 23, 2024
 155     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 655     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 429     0 

Transit Fantasy Maps

I always thought of a tunnel under College to relief GO trains instead. Something like our own version of the London Crossrail with a tunnel under the core.

I think a RER tunnel would be located much closer to Union, no? Probably just a few hundred feet north of it.

There was an old proposal to have an underground Lakeshore GO Line under Queen with stops at Don, Queen, Osgoode, and Parkdale. But that would be defunct now since Queen is being tunnelled there for something else.

There was an old proposal to have an underground Lakeshore GO Line under Queen with stops at Don, Queen, Osgoode, and Parkdale. But that would be defunct now since Queen is being tunnelled there for something else.
Interesting. Links to any reports/articles that depict this idea. Would love to take a closer look at the old plan.

I thought crowding was about train throughput capacity not about pedestrian flow? So as long as the the tracks are not shared at Union, it shouldn't be a problem.
yea i was more thinking about the passenger flow. If say the lakeshore lines stopped a few hundred feet north of the current station on an underground platform the tunnels connecting it back to union would be very busy. Train crowding wise it'd be fine

I think a RER tunnel would be located much closer to Union, no? Probably just a few hundred feet north of it.
What's the point of having a GO tunnel under Union? Can't really expand our rapid transit network by having everything in one basket.

RER can be closer to UofT and Ryerson while office towers can expand north in a fantasy future. A College "subway" would fit between Line 2 and OL adding additional relief while providing direct access to regional lines.

What's the point of having a GO tunnel under Union? Can't really expand our rapid transit network by having everything in one basket.

RER can be closer to UofT and Ryerson while office towers can expand north in a fantasy future. A College "subway" would fit between Line 2 and OL adding additional relief while providing direct access to regional lines.

Although its very close to Queen, id see an RER tunnel a-la "London Crossrail" would be better suited under Dundas, simply to have the main station at Dundas Square, which is arguably a huge center of Toronto.

The usage and ridership for the Ontario Line and RER Tunnel would be quite different in nature anyways.

With apologies for the necro, I kind of prefer something like this for a Scarborough Network:
1616087895636.png

This seems like it will integrate with a Hwy 2 extension meaningfully better, to the point that I think I'd be willing to downgrade Sheppard East to BRT to gain the Sheppard link and preserve the RT corridor.

With apologies for the necro, I kind of prefer something like this for a Scarborough Network:
View attachment 306469

This seems like it will integrate with a Hwy 2 extension meaningfully better, to the point that I think I'd be willing to downgrade Sheppard East to BRT to gain the Sheppard link and preserve the RT corridor.
hm interesting idea though the westward extension doesn't really look like it serves much of a purpose other than to use the set corridor. As that section of the rt does it just runs through empty industrial lands. If it maybe turned short and ran along the Stouffville tracks to Agincourt go, or the industrial lands saw heavy redevelopment i think it could be worthwhile, but otherwise, it doesn't really serve anybody. You could just take the subway to bridge that gap and itd be faster.

Back