News   May 06, 2024
 367     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 1.4K     1 

VIA Rail

I believe the option is for HFR should it come to fruition.
theyll probably try to tack on to the amtrack long distance train order when they launch the LD replacement program.
i wonder if they will still be pulling the ancient HEPs or will they order a new coach set as well?

I believe the option is for HFR should it come to fruition.
Makes sense since these would be the shorter distance intercity model. I don't think we will see the option excersised though. In the current political climate with an election looming and a budget that will not likely provide funding for the project, the dream of HFR seems to be fading away quickly.

Makes sense since these would be the shorter distance intercity model. I don't think we will see the option excersised though. In the current political climate with an election looming and a budget that will not likely provide funding for the project, the dream of HFR seems to be fading away quickly.

The options were retained because the extra trains are required for the frequency increases that are the core of the HFR project. Even with the reduced travel times and increased equipment utilization enabled by dedicated tracks, more trainsets are needed to achieve hourly service along the core segment from Montreal to Toronto via Ottawa, especially if good service via Kingston is retained.

Really can't wait to see this unveiled in Montreal.😍😍😍😍

Not sure if this has already been asked - but how is the new train set going to deal with different platform heights? For example, at Montreal Gare Central is there an automated step/extension to bridge the gap with the higher platform (instead of the current metal plaque that attendants manually install when in MTL...).

First, I would caution against any kind of conclusions at this stage without any reliable sources, at least not until the JPO results are released. Second, keep in mind that the CIB has already invested some $70+ million into the JPO for HFR and has given very clear signals of their involvement. Third, we still don't know if there will be an election in 2021 given the complexities created by Covid - and even if there is an election - it doesn't mean high priority infrastructures need to be placed on hold. From a macroecon level, given the historically low interest rates/borrowing costs and the need to jump start the economy, there is every incentive for any gov't to invest more in heavy infrastructure as an easy way to boost short/medium term growth.

Really can't wait to see this unveiled in Montreal.😍😍😍😍

Not sure if this has already been asked - but how is the new train set going to deal with different platform heights? For example, at Montreal Gare Central is there an automated step/extension to bridge the gap with the higher platform (instead of the current metal plaque that attendants manually install when in MTL...).
You haven't seen the passenger cars yet so how do you know that there is an issue with the height?

That is a good question. If you look at one of the Amtrak San Joaquins Venture cars, it seems as if the door on one end is for high platforms and the door on the other is for low platforms, but VIA is only having doors at one end of the cars.

As you can see from first picture, the low platform door, seems to have fixed stairs inside the coach and a low gap filler and from the second picture, the high platform door has a gap filler for high platforms. It will be interesting to see what they do for VIA's cars.

caltrans2.jpg

Image courtesy EuroCityCard Blog

amtraknew1.jpg

Photo by Marc Glucksman

First, I would caution against any kind of conclusions at this stage without any reliable sources, at least not until the JPO results are released. Second, keep in mind that the CIB has already invested some $70+ million into the JPO for HFR and has given very clear signals of their involvement. Third, we still don't know if there will be an election in 2021 given the complexities created by Covid - and even if there is an election - it doesn't mean high priority infrastructures need to be placed on hold. From a macroecon level, given the historically low interest rates/borrowing costs and the need to jump start the economy, there is every incentive for any gov't to invest more in heavy infrastructure as an easy way to boost short/medium term growth.
I hate being cynical, but given the history of passenger rail in this country, there isn't any reason to be anything but cynical. There are really only 4 scenarios that can realistically play out:

1) The JPO results are released and the government determines that HFR isn't worth the investment. The project is cancelled.

2) The JPO results are released, they look good. The project isn't funded in the budget. An election happens, the Liberals form the next government but HFR is forgotten and never heard from again.

3) The JPO results are released, they look good. The project isn't funded in the budget. An election happens and the Conservatives form the next government. In usual style, the Conservatives cancel the project, promising improvements on existing lines. VIA service becomes less and less relevant in the corridor.

4) The JPO results are released and they look good. Unfortunately because of COVID, financial constraints and hard times for the public make an investment like this politically unpopular. The project is cancelled, and VIA service becomes less relevant in the corridor.

I hate being cynical, but given the history of passenger rail in this country, there isn't any reason to be anything but cynical. There are really only 4 scenarios that can realistically play out:

1) The JPO results are released and the government determines that HFR isn't worth the investment. The project is cancelled.

2) The JPO results are released, they look good. The project isn't funded in the budget. An election happens, the Liberals form the next government but HFR is forgotten and never heard from again.

3) The JPO results are released, they look good. The project isn't funded in the budget. An election happens and the Conservatives form the next government. In usual style, the Conservatives cancel the project, promising improvements on existing lines. VIA service becomes less and less relevant in the corridor.

4) The JPO results are released and they look good. Unfortunately because of COVID, financial constraints and hard times for the public make an investment like this politically unpopular. The project is cancelled, and VIA service becomes less relevant in the corridor.
You know there is going to be a lot of stimulus spending on infrastructure, so it might actually get built.

That is a good question. If you look at one of the Amtrak San Joaquins Venture cars, it seems as if the door on one end is for high platforms and the door on the other is for low platforms, but VIA is only having doors at one end of the cars.

As you can see from first picture, the low platform door, seems to have fixed stairs inside the coach and a low gap filler and from the second picture, the high platform door has a gap filler for high platforms. It will be interesting to see what they do for VIA's cars.

caltrans2.jpg

Image courtesy EuroCityCard Blog

amtraknew1.jpg

Photo by Marc Glucksman
The cars will have a movable "trap" underneath the door, not unlike the LRC cars. Siemens is currently testing a couple of designs on one of the corridor baggage cars.

With that in mind, I don't believe that it will be possible to have an extending step to account for the gap at high-level platforms, and so the hand-bombed bridge plates as currently in use will likely continue.

Dan

The cars will have a movable "trap" underneath the door, not unlike the LRC cars. Siemens is currently testing a couple of designs on one of the corridor baggage cars.

Thanks. That makes sense. I had originally assumed it would be like that, but got confused when I started looking at the Amtrak San Joaquins Venture cars in detail. Regardless, previously posted concerns about how well the San Joaquins Venture doors will handle our winters are ill founded, as we won't be using that design.

With that in mind, I don't believe that it will be possible to have an extending step to account for the gap at high-level platforms, and so the hand-bombed bridge plates as currently in use will likely continue.

I kind of assumed that. You never know, as I can think a couple alternative designs that might work, but I'm not holding my breath.

Back