Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
I'm happy with the way the diamonds end at the top. They fade off into the sky if that makes sense.

I do wish the diamond edges were larger and lit up more at night with varying colours.

I'm happy with the way the diamonds end at the top. They fade off into the sky if that makes sense.

That's a nice way to think about it! I'll try to think of it that way too. The weirdness and unexpectedness of the top may even make them more unique or iconic over time.

January 27

DDBAE448-0228-4FC4-A62D-281CB124ECD9.jpeg

anyone know what kind of vegetation will be planted on the raildeck bridge? I Want to see some tall evergreens. We don't have much of them in the city

anyone know what kind of vegetation will be planted on the raildeck bridge? I Want to see some tall evergreens. We don't have much of them in the city

I can share; from the Docs: (below is the plant list specifically for the park/open space over the track)

1611994913545.png

As to evergreens.........only 2 on the list, a single White Pine (native) is to be planted; and a single Dawn Redwood (native to China)

It will be joined by 21 White Birch (native),
6 Red Maple (native cultivar),
5 Japanese Zelkova (native to Japan/Korea/China)
4 Eastern Redbud (native to Windsor and points south),
3 Red Oak (native)
3 Hackberry (native from Hamilton south)
2 Swamp White Oak (native from Burlington south)
2 Pin Oak (native from Detroit south)
2 Black Gum (native from Niagara south),
2 Tulip Tree (native to Niagara south)
1 Yellowood (native to the southern U.S.)
1 Japanese Pagoda Tree (native to Japan)

* none of the non-natives are known to be invasive here.

That deck is clearly meant to hold some serious weight; if happy; some of those trees could be huge.

They won't get any direct southern sun; but should get decent levels of sun from the east and west, and some, less direct sun from the south as well.

I note here, they spec'ed the White Pine as being 8M tall at time of planting (about 25 feet); that one will presumably be going in with a crane!

The landscape plan is below.

1611996505161.png

* my only concern w/this on close inspection is that some of the soil volumes per tree are quite low.

This is partially offset by decent sized overall planting beds (shared soil); but for trees that can grow as large as these can, I still think the soil volumes are a bit light in places.

Back