News   May 31, 2024
 807     6 
News   May 31, 2024
 2.8K     1 
News   May 31, 2024
 979     0 

St Lawrence Market

Sign in window of the ex Jersey Giant on Front Street. ANOTHER cannabis store, 3rd on that block!. I had been hoping for a nail salon but .....

Nothing against those who wish to partake, but the stores themselves because of our silly rules are very deadening to a street.

The idea that you can't see inside these stores, and everything has to be out of sight, lest some poor innocent child get ideas..........but the LCBO can display wine in its windows........sigh............

I do dislike rank hypocrisy.

Also, 3 of any niche retailer is a lot for one block.

You can have 3 restaurants in the block and make it work; but in general, you don't want those to all be of the same type; that would be a snooze.

You can have 3 restaurants in the block and make it work; but in general, you don't want those to all be of the same type; that would be a snooze.

Like China Town, Little Italy, Danforth, etc.?

I do find it a bit funny how everyone is up in arms yet again, with another cannabis store taking over yet another failed business. Yet, clearly no one cared enough to help keep "Jersey Giant" in business in the first place. This is our own doing.

In this pandemic I rather see ANY small business take over an empty store front, vs. ANOTHER empty store front... I for one won't sh*t on any business trying to survive in a pandemic, let alone open during one. As long as what they're doing isn't hurting anyone, we really should be supporting them, let alone complaining about them taking over yet another business we clearly didn't care about in the first place, or at least enough to keep them in business.

If you don't like a business, or don't have a need for it, it's simple, don't support it. Just like all the other recently failed restaurants across the city.

I do find it a bit funny how everyone is up in arms yet again, with another cannabis store taking over yet another failed business. Yet, clearly no one cared enough to help keep "Jersey Giant" in business in the first place. This is our own doing.

In this pandemic I rather see ANY small business take over an empty store front, vs. ANOTHER empty store front... I for one won't sh*t on any business trying to survive in a pandemic, let alone open during one. As long as what they're doing isn't hurting anyone, we really should be supporting them, let alone complaining about them taking over yet another business we clearly didn't care about in the first place, or at least enough to keep them in business.

If you don't like a business, or don't have a need for it, it's simple, don't support it. Just like all the other recently failed restaurants across the city.
Though I may disagree with much of your post, I think the real point being made was that, in general, it is better for a neighbourhood to have a RANGE of stores, restaurants, bars etc. Having 3 cannabis stores (with their opaque windows) on one short block is unnecessary (and probably makes all three unprofitable). Vibrant neighbourhoods are vibrant because they offer variety!

First, what is with the tone?

What exactly did I or anyone else here do to you?

Its fine to disagree, but a tone that is derisive towards others is unnecessary and unhelpful.

Second, "Jersey Giant' wasn't my speed and I don't live in St. Lawrence, though I'm a regular visitor.

C'est What is more my speed.

Third, I'm not 'up in arms' about anything, and I don't think anyone else was either.

Rather, people expressed disappointment; not the same thing.

The feeling is simply that an un-ending supply of businesses of the same niche is typically dull; that part is not specific to the cannaibis business; and also
that because of arcane laws, cannabis businesses are unusually street-deadening (opaque windows, no displays etc.),'

The feeling is simply that an un-ending supply of businesses of the same niche is typically dull; that part is not specific to the cannaibis business; and also
that because of arcane laws, cannabis businesses are unusually street-deadening (opaque windows, no displays etc.),'
Very much share this sentiment. It's the same with bank branches too, of which King East has many now, including two RBC branches a six minute walk apart! Some are on prominent street corner locations too which is doubly deadning at night.

Last edited:
People. It's a pandemic. We're lucky these cannabis stores are opening across the city. It's a lot better than empty storefronts, regardless of how little benefits they bring to communities. I totally understand the points from @TheSix. We really can't blame real estate owners from taking whatever they can get.

Longterm, it's a cycle with any newly legalized service/product. They'll eventually be weeded out (excuse the pun), opening up retail opportunities for small businesses, once this COVID mess is behind us. I really wish we could just fast forward to 2022 ;)

People. It's a pandemic. We're lucky these cannabis stores are opening across the city. It's a lot better than empty storefronts, regardless of how little benefits they bring to communities. I totally understand the points from @TheSix. We really can't blame real estate owners from taking whatever they can get.

Longterm, it's a cycle with any newly legalized service/product. They'll eventually be weeded out (excuse the pun), opening up retail opportunities for small businesses, once this COVID mess is behind us. I really wish we could just fast forward to 2022 ;)

Taking whatever they can get doesn't really help much.

Over saturation leads to problems down the road. Look at Starbucks.

Yes, because we all know that there is only one variety of Chinese cuisine, because a country that spans hundreds of thousands of square kilometres, with a population of over one billion, has just one national dish and one way of serving it.

Starbucks is a very profitable company, just because some of their (franchised) store close does not mean their 'saturation policy' is a failure.

When you have too many locations in a small area they won't make as much as one location in that same area.

People have preferences towards stores when you give them options.

When you have too many locations in a small area they won't make as much as one location in that same area.

People have preferences towards stores when you give them options.
Of course the individual stores will not do as well (or even well enough) but clearly the Starbucks Company itself seems to do just fine!

Starbucks is a very profitable company, just because some of their (franchised) store close does not mean their 'saturation policy' is a failure.
Does Starbucks actually have franchised stores in Canada, save at places like airports? I was always under the understanding that they were all corporate-owned.

Back