News   Apr 24, 2024
 29     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 238     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 560     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

As a digression to the discussion about the Canpa Sub - here's a historical note that may be of interest.

In the late 40's and early 1950's, there was a race track in Long Branch, right next to the CP Canpa Subdivision. It had its own train station, and CP ran race specials from Union Station to bring folks to the races. In those days, Long Branch was definitely out in the middle of nowhere.
At some point, somebody showed me a photo of a CP passenger train hauled by a diesel loco, which he said was a race special....but I have long forgotten who or where. When I have mentioned this to some very knowledgeable railway historians, they have looked at me in disbelief. I had begun to think that I had imagined the whole thing.
Anyways, I finally found an ad for said train in the Toronto Star of Aug 17 1955.
There is a cairn with a plaque next to the train tracks at the Horner Avenue rail crossing, marking the entrance to the racetrack.
Sure wish I could remember who showed me the photo..... at any rate, yes there once was passenger service on the Canpa Sub once upon a time.

- Paul

Aerial photo from City of Toronto collection, 1956

!
Screen Shot 2020-10-16 at 10.18.34 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-10-16 at 10.20.46 AM.png

Oct 04
Metrolinx Stouffville Line 2nd Track Expansion At Huntingwood Drive Grade Crossing. Easy to do a grade separation here.
50465079712_cfaa8d5ee0_b.jpg

50464222753_5f6abd4357_b.jpg

Agincourt GO Station and lot more up on site.

They have started grade work north of the station with the existing platform gone to bring track 2 down to the new platform and station. At the rate they going, it will be summer 2021 before platform 2 is ready and no elevator in place for the platform and the new station. The new station platform is too narrow for my taste. If they plan on opening platform 2, accessibility riders will have to walk to the crossing to get to the platform.
50464921921_a63b611a87_b.jpg

50464225238_6aa3705f56_b.jpg

50465083417_466f8c4f2a_b.jpg

50464227053_1a7dba5fae_b.jpg

50465084787_30bbd86eda_b.jpg

50464926886_f05418eb14_b.jpg

50464228658_43a9421c60_b.jpg

50464928016_135f20dae4_b.jpg

50464230418_06b9d63b2a_b.jpg

50465088362_bc283f542a_b.jpg

50465089702_a53ffc4a35_b.jpg

50465089977_c2c3499f48_b.jpg

50464232668_3612471fc6_b.jpg

50464931616_2429c3120e_b.jpg
GO seems to be spending money on the Uxbridge Sub, and I guess it's because they own it from top to bottom. Is there anyway to extend the line farther north? The right of way is there but there are no tracks. I'm sure there is demand in North Durham if the train did run.

GO seems to be spending money on the Uxbridge Sub, and I guess it's because they own it from top to bottom. Is there anyway to extend the line farther north? The right of way is there but there are no tracks. I'm sure there is demand in North Durham if the train did run.
You mean to Uxbridge?
I’d love to seen the line extended but I agree with the focus on double tracking and getting all day service up and running first.

You mean to Uxbridge?
I’d love to seen the line extended but I agree with the focus on double tracking and getting all day service up and running first.
Yes or past Uxbridge? Does the ROW connect to the Bala Sub as you get farther north towards lake Simcoe?

You mean to Uxbridge?

For clarity.

The 'GO service currently runs to Lincolnville.

The track currently extends to Uxbridge

The old Right-of-Way, which is intact as part of the Trans Canada Trail extends to Lindsay

There is no track in place from Uxbidge to Lindsay.

I'm not certain who the nominal owner is beyond Uxbridge; but GO is the owner to the end of the active rail to my knowledge.

You mean to Uxbridge?

I’m not up on development proposals out that way, but a quick look at Google Earth suggests that Mount Joy is about as far as a fully built out 2WAD needs to go.
Extending GO too far will encourage sprawl. Markham can go a long way with infill before it needs to expand to the northeast. Much as I like seeing rail expanded, going beyond Lincolnville seems like the wrong move to me. Farmland matters.

- Paul

For clarity.

The 'GO service currently runs to Lincolnville.

The track currently extends to Uxbridge

The old Right-of-Way, which is intact as part of the Trans Canada Trail extends to Lindsay

There is no track in place from Uxbidge to Lindsay.

I'm not certain who the nominal owner is beyond Uxbridge; but GO is the owner to the end of the active rail to my knowledge.
The rights of way are owned by the respective regions/counties as rail trails. In 2016, I rode from Lindsay to Uxbridge on the rail trail and it was like a trip back in time - lots of old relics of the railway era.

I’m not up on development proposals out that way, but a quick look at Google Earth suggests that Mount Joy is about as far as a fully built out 2WAD needs to go.
Extending GO too far will encourage sprawl. Markham can go a long way with infill before it needs to expand to the northeast. Much as I like seeing rail expanded, going beyond Lincolnville seems like the wrong move to me. Farmland matters.

- Paul

Well how about commuting for Lindsay? I bet a lot of drive to Oshawa to catch the GO train, and although the Oshawa extension would help, that's still not a fun drive in the winter.

Well how about commuting for Lindsay? I bet a lot of drive to Oshawa to catch the GO train, and although the Oshawa extension would help, that's still not a fun drive in the winter.
Lindsay used to be such an important town for the railroads. It’s sad to see all the rails ripped up and rights of way turned into new developments.
Lindsay is slowly becoming a bedroom community and I’d like to see a commuter train too. Like once and day. The station should be bare bones (completely unlike Bloomington) and act as a park n ride. Plus with the college it would be a popular option.

Lindsay used to be such an important town for the railroads. It’s sad to see all the rails ripped up and rights of way turned into new developments.
Lindsay is slowly becoming a bedroom community and I’d like to see a commuter train too. Like once and day. The station should be bare bones (completely unlike Bloomington) and act as a park n ride. Plus with the college it would be a popular option.

I was in Janetville (around 15 mins from Lindsay) last weekend and it is full of people living there year round. The problem is where do we stop?

There are so many towns and cities that were once small settlements and now full of life. You can't run GO service to and from all these places as it would be impractical. What is needed is regional hubs as I have mentioned before.

Does the ROW connect to the Bala Sub as you get farther north towards lake Simcoe?

The two routes are consistently apart. At approximately Stouffville Rd, they are roughly 12.5 km apart.

I was in Janetville (around 15 mins from Lindsay) last weekend and it is full of people living there year round. The problem is where do we stop?

There are so many towns and cities that were once small settlements and now full of life. You can't run GO service to and from all these places as it would be impractical. What is needed is regional hubs as I have mentioned before.

A question to be determined is whether these communities even need commuter links to the GTA, or are they vibrant on their own. I would suspect that at least part of the new population in places like Janetville or Little Britain work in in Lindsay or Peterborough or perhaps Durham Region.

Lindsay area commuters would no doubt benefit from service to Peterborough.

I would suspect that at least part of the new population in places like Janetville or Little Britain work in in Lindsay or Peterborough or perhaps Durham Region

Given the proximity alot of people actually live in Scugog and commute. It's really not that far compared to 20 years ago. Oshawa and the 401 really isn't that far.

A question to be determined is whether these communities even need commuter links to the GTA, or are they vibrant on their own. I would suspect that at least part of the new population in places like Janetville or Little Britain work in in Lindsay or Peterborough or perhaps Durham Region.

Lindsay area commuters would no doubt benefit from service to Peterborough.

There is an ROW in-tact (without track) as Trans Canada Trail from Lindsay to Ptbo.

It doesn't connect to the old rail station, but there is room at the edge of town for a new one.

Though the route is a tad wonky at times. (curves that make you go Hmmmmmm)

In terms of a connection to the GTA, there is a second option, were such a connection desired.

There is yet a third rail trail leading out of Lindsay (that's a lot for a place that size!).

Said trail connects to the Havelock sub.

You could choose to simply put a station at the Havelock sub; but it would also be very plausible to run a spur up to Lindsay.

I want to emphasize that I share @crs1026 concerns about promoting sprawl; and I'm 100% certain their are a long list of greater priorities.

That said, its always worth considering; and preserving, options.

Connection to Havelock Sub: 27km

1602986517259.png

44km back to Uxbridge:

1602986837734.png

35km on existing {Trail) ROW. to Ptbo:

1602987282903.png

Last edited:
^Wikipedia tells me that the population of Lindsay is about 20,000 (2016 census). It’s more of a bedroom community to Peterboro or Durham Region than to Toronto.
The current GO line to Lincolnville is 30.3 miles from Union, including the LSE portion. It’s a further 39 miles to Lindsay along the old ROW.
Would we really consider adding 39 miles of track to service 20,000 people? If so, there are other larger communities that would want to line up for addition to the network.... Cambridge, Orangeville, St Thomas, Fort Erie, Bolton, New Tecumseth....

- Paul

Last edited:
All weekend construction crews and Metrolinx have been reconfiguring the platform and active track at the Milliken GO Station. The west track has been completely removed through the station including the bypass track. The east track is now the active running track and the crossing at Steeles Ave was upgraded this afternoon, Sunday October 18th, 2020, to add the second track. North of Steeles it still connects to the west track so that they can continue to use the passing track north of Kennedy, until the double tracking is complete. The block signal for the east track at Passmore Ave is turned on and the signals for the west track have been turned to the side. A temporary wooden platform for GO passengers has been built at the south end of the station in the alignment of the west track. This allows the station to remain open, and the present west platform to be rebuilt as well as completing the new east platform. You will notice from the photos of the new rail bridge that they have already begun to excavate underneath it. Pedestrian pathways are being built on both sides of the bridge. The photo of the Milliken station taken looking southward shows the new platform under construction and in the distance you can see the temporary wooden platform. You can also see that the west track has been completely removed, from Steeles Ave. down to just above Passmore Ave. John Jeffery photos
IMG_1155r.JPG
IMG_1155r.JPG
IMG_1162r.JPG
IMG_1166r.JPG
IMG_1170r.JPG
IMG_1175r.JPG
IMG_1182r.JPG
IMG_1183r.JPG
IMG_1189r.JPG
IMG_1192r.JPG

Back