News   Mar 28, 2024
 198     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 2K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.3K     2 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

I wrote about how to improve Bramalea a while back. More than anything, it needs safe walking and cycling routes from neighbourhoods not too far away. Given its location in an industrial area, in a secondary flightpath, it isn't right to expect big changes to the area's built form, just like Bronte or Oshawa Stations. But it can be better connected.

I wrote about how to improve Bramalea a while back. More than anything, it needs safe walking and cycling routes from neighbourhoods not too far away. Given its location in an industrial area, in a secondary flightpath, it isn't right to expect big changes to the area's built form, just like Bronte or Oshawa Stations. But it can be better connected.

Yes it needs some cycle paths to be useable for biking. No one wants to bike along steeles thats a deathwish.

Office development could be an option, if not residential. It is probably zoned as an employment zone.

I’m honestly not sure what would make Steeles East of Main feel hospitable to pedestrians/cyclists. There’s a ramp to the 410 between Main and Bramalea GO, and huge warehouses/industrial parks along it.

I do think some way of making the Zum stops feel less standalone/isolated - and a little more human - would be nice.

The update from Metrolinx to City Council on the GO Expansion is very comprehensive - listing what looks to be all GO expansion projects in the City.... https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2020/ex/bgrd/backgroundfile-156542.pdf

Park Lawn GO Station?

giphy.webp

From link.

Good day ladies and gentlemen, I heard there was curiosity of what might happen to Bramalea GO, if this is an inappropriate venue for posting, I am sure ShonTron will tell me, and I can start a new thread (or post in a different thread, as might be deemed appropriate).

So, to start with, last year the City of Brampton began a process to amend the Official Plan regarding Bramalea GO, however, it has not yet made it into the Secondary Plan.
1601058155776.png

The Corporation of the City of Brampton does intend the area to be mixed use, but of a retail.commercial mixture, and where mixed industrial commercial would be permitted to the east and west as buffers.

1601058287031.png

Here is the conceptual road network, it appears this section of Steeles would get a separated bike lane, because only someone mad as a hatter would deem it sane to have bikes share a road with significant quantities of freight.

1601058476095.png

As you can see, either the Corporation is unable to kick the dreadful habit of urban sprawl, or the Corporation is deliberately putting the FSI this low, in order to be able to extort Section 37 benefits from developers. Municipal corporations are one of the few places where extortion and racketeering are not only not criminal, but publicly acceptable.

For those who desire to peruse the consultant's land use study report, that can be found at this link, page 70 of the pdf, beginning at 7.2-9 of the overall city agenda

I’m honestly not sure what would make Steeles East of Main feel hospitable to pedestrians/cyclists. There’s a ramp to the 410 between Main and Bramalea GO, and huge warehouses/industrial parks along it.

I do think some way of making the Zum stops feel less standalone/isolated - and a little more human - would be nice.

Theres lots of residential connector trails nearby. The type that go between cul-de-sacs and winding residential streets to try and simplify walking/biking through the area. Id say doing some fully separated cycle paths connecting to these would help with the last mile of getting from this area to Bramalea GO.

1601059518755.png

Green= existing. Red= addition.

Theres already some along Steeles-ish.. but they could definitely be improved

1601059215716.png

^ While those could be used as bike paths, I don't think they are intended as such. The city calls them splash strips... I think the are intended to reduce erosion from road splashed?

For the bike paths, the residential paths are good, they are often made deliberately circuitous for recreational interest. Wayfinding can be better. I find I have to check my google maps on my phone to not get turned around.

^ While those could be used as bike paths, I don't think they are intended as such. The city calls them splash strips... I think the are intended to reduce erosion from road splashed?

For the bike paths, the residential paths are good, they are often made deliberately circuitous for recreational interest. Wayfinding can be better. I find I have to check my google maps on my phone to not get turned around.

Yes you are right I see them along major suburban roads often, and sometimes they get very skinny suddenly. However google maps identifies them as bike paths, but I think it just aggregates user data (sees many people biking beside the road, must be a bike path) They could be upgraded to be as such.

And while youre right, the residential paths in this area happen to be relatively straight, level and useful from my limited use of them. I know thats not always the case but its the exception here.

Mentions the bridge over the Rouge River.

Wait i think i missed something... awhile back, when reading about the go corridor expansion there was the lakeshore east expansion where east, central and west corridors were getting improvements. Each of them had their own pages with Objectives for each one

Theese contracts represent objectives from both the east and west corridor. When were theese dropped?

This could also explain the change in delivery mode from Design-Finance-Build to Design-Bid-Build

Looking on Infrastructure Ontario's active projects pages, Both East and West have dissappeared. but i found archives of them

• Widening works under the Birchmount Road Bridge.
Heres a metrolinx tender for this: https://www.metrolinx.merx.com/public/solicitations/1285988414/abstract?origin=0

As for the Rouge River bridge, sometime between fall of 2017 and 2019 that project was cancelled and i guess they decided against the extra track to be built to pickering

• Expansion and upgrade of two rail bridges at Rouge River and Highland Creek

Can someone give some insight into this?

Back