News   Sep 18, 2020
 1.1K     2 
News   Sep 18, 2020
 861     0 
News   Sep 18, 2020
 10K     6 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

anb

Member Bio
Reaction score
^ just like gormley, there is gonna be no yrt service for eternity, and barely any go service. Honestly bloomington was a huge waste of time for a line that doesn’t even run all day for starters

Also uxbridge, beaverton and even georgina has the more reliable stouffville corridor to go to so yeah

kali

Member Bio
Reaction score
Of course park and ride is the only realistic means to serve this area. The real question is why on Earth did the garage have to be so grand. It should have been utterly bare bones.

ShonTron

Member Bio
Reaction score
Of course park and ride is the only realistic means to serve this area. The real question is why on Earth did the garage have to be so grand. It should have been utterly bare bones.
There was no need for Bloomington *and* Gormley, given they’re both next to the 404, they’re both on the Oak Ridges Moraine, and neither have useful or potential transit links.

One, sure. Two is ridiculous.

ARG1

Member Bio
Reaction score
There was no need for Bloomington *and* Gormley, given they’re both next to the 404, they’re both on the Oak Ridges Moraine, and neither have useful or potential transit links.

One, sure. Two is ridiculous.
While I'm not sure why Gormley GO was built, I do understand (somewhat) why it couldn't have been the terminus. Simply put Stouffville Road is only 2 lanes wide and if (and unfortunately that's a big if) in the future Park and Ride demand for RH Line increases enough, there is a fear that Stouffville GO will be packed. As for why Gormley GO exists at all, I guess its to serve the new neighbourhood at Bayview and (north of) Stouffville? Idk.

smallspy

Member Bio
Reaction score
As for why Gormley GO exists at all, I guess its to serve the new neighbourhood at Bayview and (north of) Stouffville? Idk.
Gormley, Bloomington and the eventual Vandorf stations are all seen as ways of catching a lot of the commuters from the east sides of Newmarket and Aurora that are not willing to drive to the existing Barrie Line stations to the west of them.

Dan

mdu

Member Bio
Reaction score
Gormley, Bloomington and the eventual Vandorf stations are all seen as ways of catching a lot of the commuters from the east sides of Newmarket and Aurora that are not willing to drive to the existing Barrie Line stations to the west of them.

Dan
I would like to point out that the RHill line takes significantly longer to get downtown than Barrie line due to various reasons. Gormley to Union is 58 minutes, Newmarket to Union is 59.

robmausser

Member Bio
Reaction score
I would like to point out that the RHill line takes significantly longer to get downtown than Barrie line due to various reasons. Gormley to Union is 58 minutes, Newmarket to Union is 59.
The plan was to use Leaside Spur, a bit of new track along CP branch and route the Richmond Hill train down the purchased CP Don Branch to straighten it out and avoid all of the mess that is the lower don flood plain. It would make the trip comparable to Barrie Line.

Unfortunately a rail trail (im a biker and use it often but I can still see it's merit for RH line) work needed on the bridge and track, and dealing with CP made the prospect very difficult.

I could only see the Leaside Spur ever be used if it was 100% electric EMU's, and they still were able to fit the trail in beside the tracks.

So, 2050 anyone?

drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Saw this on Youtube today and thought it would be fun to share.

"Platform curtains" being tested at a regional/commuter rail station in greater Paris. Imagine Go one day might consider it to increase speeds and safety at stations.

More about it here:
Railway Gazette: Vertical platform gates to be tested in Paris
You need post at least 16 feet tall with a back brace to it to support the screen when raise 16' on a windy day, since most platforms have a canopy that prevent screens sliding over the platform. Now, what happens if a screen or the whole thing fails with 15 minute service???

reteequa

Member Bio
Reaction score
do people really fall accidentally that often? if someone wanted to just they could still easily climb over those

MisterF

Member Bio
Reaction score
The plan was to use Leaside Spur, a bit of new track along CP branch and route the Richmond Hill train down the purchased CP Don Branch to straighten it out and avoid all of the mess that is the lower don flood plain. It would make the trip comparable to Barrie Line.

Unfortunately a rail trail (im a biker and use it often but I can still see it's merit for RH line) work needed on the bridge and track, and dealing with CP made the prospect very difficult.

I could only see the Leaside Spur ever be used if it was 100% electric EMU's, and they still were able to fit the trail in beside the tracks.

So, 2050 anyone?
I ride that trail a lot too, and it's a wide enough right of way that it could easily fit train tracks and a multi use trail. The corridor would have to be completely rebuilt and it would face stiff NIMBY resistance no doubt. The other issue with the RH line is that north of the York sub it's a CN mainline, and that's where most of the stations are. So the amount of service on the line will always be limited.

Northern Light

Member Bio
Reaction score
I ride that trail a lot too, and it's a wide enough right of way that it could easily fit train tracks and a multi use trail. The corridor would have to be completely rebuilt and it would face stiff NIMBY resistance no doubt. The other issue with the RH line is that north of the York sub it's a CN mainline, and that's where most of the stations are. So the amount of service on the line will always be limited.
In order to achieve higher levels of service, even south of York Sub, you'd also need to grade separate the Track at Lawrence, and tunnel/bridge the minor pedestrian/cyclist access points.