News   Mar 28, 2024
 701     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 477     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 796     0 

Restaurant Comings & Goings

A new Vietnamese cafe has opened in the base of the Britt.
F3156859-E9A8-4B4D-A98D-09E3EC02E1A2.jpeg
D533C955-441C-4C39-A645-4F19522A9E2A.jpeg
7AAD97D7-0E72-437A-A402-41B835B2F372.jpeg
257F9D08-F23E-4683-A8A7-82CD9274727D.jpeg

Stock T.C. (Terroni/Cumbrae's) at Yonge & Eglinton has opened their main floor (grocer, pantry, pasta-puller, wine and cheese shop, butcher, bakery, coffee bar, lunch counter, pizzeria, gelateria).

"The restaurant, which takes up the second and third floor, isn’t quite open yet. They’re aiming for four-to-six weeks, though it depends on how comfortable people will feel dining indoors. The patios, which account for 220 out of the 500 seats, will not be open until next patio season (whatever that will look like)."

Egyptian street food restaurant, Eat Nabati, has opened at 160 Baldwin St in Kensington Market:

Bar Mignonette, the new sister wine bar to the restaurant Patois, has opened at the second floor at 794 Dundas West. It's located above Patois and also includes a rooftop patio.

Woodlot, on Palmerston Ave just south of College (and Bar Raval), has closed after 10 years.

Harry's Charbroiled (the Grant van Gameren iteration formerly in Parkdale) has moved into the location, although it's unclear this will be a temporary or permanent spot for them.

Spring Rolls at The Atrium is now covered up in hoarding on both levels. I believe it was the last remaining location in Toronto.

Spring Rolls' heyday was around 2006-2015 or so. I remember eating there when it was a pretty popular spot back then, but they definitely fell off when other higher quality Thai restaurants opened up downtown. They had a takeout and pick up window inside the Atrium that seemed to do alright, but I can imagine with much less office workers nearby they're taking a major hit with the pandemic.

Government must step in and save the restaurant industry or else....................

In Toronto alone, there are an estimated 7,500 restaurants. What help should they receive? It is true that CECRA is insufficient and ill-designed, and so is the wage assistance program. But if customers don't show up, what should the government do? There is nothing I like better than eating out and I once spent thousands of dollars every month doing so. But I'm not doing that anymore until the pandemic is in the past. It's deeply unfortunate, but that's reality.

Spring Rolls' heyday was around 2006-2015 or so. I remember eating there when it was a pretty popular spot back then, but they definitely fell off when other higher quality Thai restaurants opened up downtown. They had a takeout and pick up window inside the Atrium that seemed to do alright, but I can imagine with much less office workers nearby they're taking a major hit with the pandemic.

They also suffered from the common issue of over-expansion. They won't be the first popular fast-food Thai restaurant to sort of disappear - remember Green Mango on Yonge + Hayden where Pizzaiolo is now?

AoD

They also suffered from the common issue of over-expansion. They won't be the first popular fast-food Thai restaurant to sort of disappear - remember Green Mango on Yonge + Hayden where Pizzaiolo is now?

AoD

Yeah, Salad King became the dominant option for reasonably priced, consistent, casual Thai spot along the Yonge strip. Although, I'm curious how they're faring. Especially now that there's going to be less students, office workers, and tourists around. Being a 2nd floor operation, they also don't have an opportunity for patio presence. I imagine they've been relying heavily on takeout and delivery app services.

Back