News   Apr 25, 2024
 381     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Restaurant Comings & Goings

Toronto's dining landscape takes another blow.

One of the oldest bars in the city is closing thanks to the landlord. :mad:

The Paddock Tavern announced over the weekend that it expects to shutter for good sometime in the very near future due to issues with its long-time landlord, who has refused to apply to the Canada Emergency Commercial Rent Assistance (CECRA) program, introduced back in May to help small businesses nationwide.

I'm not surprised to see an ultra expensive fine dining restaurant like Don Alfonso close. It could be years before we see these types of restaurants make a come back.

https://www.blogto.com/eat_drink/2020/08/award-winning-toronto-restaurant-closed/

I noticed today the Cultures in the food court of the tower at King and York (south-east side) has a notice they closed with their lease ending. This is one of the last Cultures locations left, at least downtown. I remember 30 years ago how ubiquitous they were in malls, and were way ahead of the "healthy alternative" food court option trend that came in the later 90's.

Last edited:
I noticed today the Cultures in the food court of the tower at King and York has a notice they closed with their lease ending. This is one of the last Cultures location left, at least downtown. I remember 30 years ago how ubiquitous they were in malls, and were way ahead of the "healthy alternative" food court option trend that came in the later 90's.

They always have good, dependable salads - but when everyone is moving in the same market as yours, you get squeezed out. Also I find the franchises uneven in quality.

AoD

I haven't been to a Cultures in ages (I seldom go to malls), but years ago they were my fast food of choice.

Caribbean eatery Miss Likklemore's has opened at 1184 Queen West at Northcote Ave. It replaces the Convenience Bar, and is a joint project between the owners of the former bar and The Good Son (further east on Queen).

A little cryptic but Google/Yelp say it's closed, though no official message from them.

The Ace on Roncesvalles:

Would be a huge shame if true. The Ace is a real gem for the area.

Overhead scaffolding has been removed:

Aug 20, 2020

20200820_123242.jpg
20200820_123310.jpg

Back