News   Jun 05, 2024
 320     1 
News   Jun 05, 2024
 573     1 
News   Jun 05, 2024
 441     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

TTC is now in the very early stages of design for new Line 2 trains.

Thanks for this!

My offhand thoughts.

At least one designated space per car for bicycles would make sense, even if it means slightly fewer seats. Bicycles mid-aisle or in doorways are a royal pain.

I would prefer the seats be more ergonomic and higher-backed. Similar to the streetcar design.

Advertising makes money, but the current design is clunky and unattractive. for the adds that run the length of the car.

I would suggest retain the poster ads only; but make them backlit and digital; such that they can rotate different ads remotely, and adjust them by station/neighbourhood throughout a trip.

That should raise rate yields substantially, and make the ads more interesting and aesthetically pleasing.

Also, need for total re-think on the lighting scheme.

As opposed to this:

1597846583082.png

From: https://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Pr...ew_Subway_Train/Overview_and_key_features.jsp

Something like this:

1597846649803.png

From here: http://www.ktransit.com/transit/NAm...kyTrain/Photos/van-alr-interior-060110-02.jpg

Softer, warmer.

the on-going streetcar track switch problem (the ongoing "go slow" command for the streetcar track switches).
I really dislike how people keep pointing out that they are broken because of this. The switches that are used currently in the existing streetcar network are from an older time and weren't replaced as they were able to design the CLRV's and ALRv's around them. Also at the time that they were put in place, there wasn't any sort of extra signalling put in place for them so the only way the driver can tell if the switch is set in their favour is to look at it. Most likely whenever the TTC orders the next batch of switches to replace the ones installed recently they will probably switch over to something more modern and probably have some sort of signal added that shows the direction that the switch is set.

I really dislike how people keep pointing out that they are broken because of this. The switches that are used currently in the existing streetcar network are from an older time and weren't replaced as they were able to design the CLRV's and ALRv's around them. Also at the time that they were put in place, there wasn't any sort of extra signalling put in place for them so the only way the driver can tell if the switch is set in their favour is to look at it. Most likely whenever the TTC orders the next batch of switches to replace the ones installed recently they will probably switch over to something more modern and probably have some sort of signal added that shows the direction that the switch is set.

That would require funding. With the TTC underfunded as it is, it remains on the "wish list".

That would require funding. With the TTC underfunded as it is, it remains on the "wish list".
IIUC, the streetcar switch upgrades are in the TTC capital budget but just never actually get done. Even when they put in new switches (e.g. last year at Broadview & Dundas) I am not sure they install more modern models.

I know the name of the new subway trains for Line 2:

Toronto Rocket Mk. 2 :cool:

These new trains will have OLED subway maps instead of those Lite-Brites. As @Northern Light mentioned, OLED ads that vary by location and date and time would be an interesting idea. Most importantly for many commuters, for each upcoming station, there should be a real-time bus and streetcar schedule using GPS.

I know the name of the new subway trains for Line 2:

Toronto Rocket Mk. 2 :cool:

These new trains will have OLED subway maps instead of those Lite-Brites. As @Northern Light mentioned, OLED ads that vary by location and date and time would be an interesting idea. Most importantly for many commuters, for each upcoming station, there should be a real-time bus and streetcar schedule using GPS.

I vaguely remember than when the screens started showing up on subway platforms the idea for real-time surface schedules was suggested. The TTC shot it down as they worried some passengers would aggressively run up the stairs to catch it and it would end in a slip and fall.

I vaguely remember than when the screens started showing up on subway platforms the idea for real-time surface schedules was suggested. The TTC shot it down as they worried some passengers would aggressively run up the stairs to catch it and it would end in a slip and fall.

That actually is a possibility. When coming into Warden from the West you can see which buses are in the bays. It's not uncommon for people to run full tilt down the stairs to their bus. I've gone flying a couple times after slipping in the winter running for my bus

It's still not a bad idea. An implementation which might clear legal would account for typical walking time; so it might consider buses departing in less than 3 (or 4 or 5 depending on the station) minutes to be gone and show the bus after that instead. Nobody would run for a bus in 4 minutes but they might make other plans if they thought it was going to be 20 minutes.

Last edited:
That actually is a possibility. When coming into Warden from the West you can see which buses are in the bays. It's not uncommon for people to run full tilt down the stairs to their bus. I've gone flying a couple times after slipping in the winter running for my bus
It's still not a bad idea. An implementation which might clear legal would account for typical walking time; so it might consider buses departing in less than 3 (or 4 or 5 depending on the station) minutes to be gone and show the bus after that instead. Nobody would run for a bus in 4 minutes but they might make other plans if they thought it was going to be 20 minutes.
Don't forget that many stations have Wi-Fi. Smartphone users can use cellular data in open sections and Freedom Mobile customers can also use cellular data in tunnels between VMC and Sheppard West and between St. George and Bloor-Yonge (including the tunnel just north of Bloor-Yonge leading to the open section) to view bus and streetcar arrival times for the next station. All of these already can cause aggressive running for commuters who are either impatient or have a very tight schedule. Given that, trains having real-time surface schedules won't increase the frequency of aggressive running by much. Aggressive running can be mitigated by not displaying buses or streetcars that arrive at the next station in under two minutes (or under five minutes depending on the station layout). The schedules have to be realistic for those walking slightly slower than the average pace to their bus or streetcar rather than for Olympic sprinters.

Not only does aggressive running have a chance of slips and falls, aggressive running can lead to other commuters being knocked over, which can cause injury to both the aggressive runner and those who are knocked down (and even items being damaged).

Last edited:
IIUC, the streetcar switch upgrades are in the TTC capital budget but just never actually get done. Even when they put in new switches (e.g. last year at Broadview & Dundas) I am not sure they install more modern models.
I think right now they have ordered the same model for all of the switches in the system on the streets. Leslie barns uses modern two bladed switches and there is apparently a few trailing switches that have been changed to two bladed ones as well. There has also been something mentioned about one of the switches at King and Sumach being changed out for another type of switch to help reduce noise at the intersection.

Honestly, the new trains should have different train announcements than the Toronto Rockets. For example, would it really hurt to include announcements for regional/intercity services?

For example: Arriving at Union, Union Station. Exit here for all GO Regional rail lines, GO Regional buses and VIA intercity services. Doors will open on the left. (Vaughan bound train)

And for stations connecting with one GO line,

Example: Arriving at Downsview Park, Downsview Park Station. Exit here for GO Transit's Barrie line. Doors will open on the left.

This can be applicable to the rest of the fleet as well. Except for the T1's and the Mark I since they would be going out of service.

Last edited:

Back