News   Apr 24, 2024
 987     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 631     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

The TTC knew there were issues w/the switch that caused the Keele yard area derailment back in January up to 2 years earlier; they failed to fix it.

Not just subway switches, but streetcar switches as well.

The TTC bean-counters refuse to bring ALL switches (subway AND streetcar) up to the level they are supposed to be at. That is why we see streetcars having to go slow at the track switches, because they are not maintained properly because of constant budget cuts.

The TTC knew there were issues w/the switch that caused the Keele yard area derailment back in January up to 2 years earlier; they failed to fix it.

What a joke, so management knew about the issue for months but failed to address it. Nothing surprises me anymore with this ineptly managed organization.

Anyone know what is going on at cherry and king?

D3B68015-A2B7-48CC-A58E-8CC77D5F5CD2.jpeg

What a joke, so management knew about the issue for months but failed to address it. Nothing surprises me anymore with this ineptly managed organization.
Politicians won't listen to TTC management even if they try. Having these sort of events hopefully is a wake up call to have more funds.

Politicians won't listen to TTC management even if they try. Having these sort of events hopefully is a wake up call to have more funds.
Unfortunately even these kind of events wont even get these clown politicans to act on the urgency. I'm afraid to say it and god forbid, but only a significant incident would wake them up to the problem we're facing (ie: Russell Hill), or if a member of their family were directly impacted by an incident.

Not sure 'more funds" is the magic bullet to this kind of thing. In this case TTC Managers were told that a switch was dangerous but there was no follow-up to ensure it was fixed. This was not an expensive fix (AFIK) and would have required no more $$ from the Board. Having money coming out of their wazoo would not change that. I agree that the TTC Board do not generally know what's happening in detail but, frankly, that's NOT their role; they are a Board of Directors not a Management Committee. What the Board should do is to ask the right questions of Staff and ensure that they are given accurate and complete information. (e,g. ask why the TTCs definition of 'on time' is so pointless and why having the number of short-turns reduced to almost zero is actually a good thing. Are vehicles properly spaced out? - (Spoiler alert: No, they are not!)

Unfortunately even these kind of events wont even get these clown politicans to act on the urgency. I'm afraid to say it and god forbid, but only a significant incident would wake them up to the problem we're facing (ie: Russell Hill), or if a member of their family were directly impacted by an incident.
With the management cover-up, I'm not the the politicians are to blame here.

Did they cover this up to the board as well? Surely the best thing for management to do is to have come clean quickly, and made it clear that they can't run a safe system with underfunding.

This seems to be more about competence to me.

With the management cover-up, I'm not the the politicians are to blame here.

Did they cover this up to the board as well? Surely the best thing for management to do is to have come clean quickly, and made it clear that they can't run a safe system with underfunding.

This seems to be more about competence to me.
The politicians aren't to blame on this one, I was just making a point above. Management is at fault here plain and simple, the employee did their job and reported the problem, management followed up to a point but the question is where did the follow up end? Did it end at upper management who then simply ignored the severity of the problem and shoved it by the wayside? That's something that needs to be investigated thoroughly.

The TTC (a public sector operation) came into existence in 1924 because the TRC (a private sector operation) refused to expand the needed services into newly annexed sections of the city. They also reduced the maintenance of the streetcar network and fleet, to save money.

Today, that same "saving money" approach is the cause of the subway track switch problem (the recent derailment) and the on-going streetcar track switch problem (the ongoing "go slow" command for the streetcar track switches).

See link about the "TTC was warned about a broken switch years before January subway derailment, but did nothing, internal emails show".

This shouldn't be an issue for the TTC.

"Low performing Bus Routes" means daily ridership levels below 100-200 passengers per day. I don't think there are any conventional bus routes aside from the 176 that fit this criterion. The171, and 99 only really exist to provide access to the garages for drivers using PT so those won't go anywhere.

The 101 might be at risk for conversion, and the 176 doesn't even fit into the TTC network since it's mainly there to serve GO.

Has this criteria been stated by the government?
No criteria have been released, but there's no way it'd be much more than this. Most rideshare/demand response pilots have been in areas where potential ridership is around 50-100 passengers per day. Anything above 200 doesn't make much sense when compared to services by hourly buses all day or 15-30 minute buses during rush hours (in both cases, ridership would be around 10 passengers per bus, which for most agencies is adequate).

Back