News   Mar 28, 2024
 177     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 606     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 368     0 

TTC CLRV Streetcars: Where will they go once they are retired?

Any car that escapes the scrapper is cause for celebration - but at the risk of sounding gloomy - I hope there will be a plan and resources and commitment to look after the car's well being over time.
There's nothing sadder than seeing a relic in a farmer's field that was once lovingly conserved but has gone to rot since.
The rail enthusiast community is notorious for "saving' things but not properly preserving them thereafter.
Having said that, I wish Alex well with his "collection" - a labour of love has just begun.

- Paul

Indeed, the labour of love has just begun. I’ve seen streetcars deteriorating before, and I have no intention of that happening here. I need to refine what will happen this year regarding preservation, but here is the preliminary list:
  1. Install no trespassing signs around property (complete)
  2. Deep clean, as the car looks like it just came out of service
  3. Re-install panels inside
  4. Get TTC paint codes and do touch ups, including trying to deal with rusted areas
  5. Buff and wax exterior
  6. Power the vehicle, either by bypassing the 600 volt system or trickle charging it (I’ll need to talk to the TTC about this)
  7. Tarp the vehicle for winter
If UT members would like to visit the vehicle, I’m hoping to have an “open house“ day in the fall.

Indeed, the labour of love has just begun. I’ve seen streetcars deteriorating before, and I have no intention of that happening here. I need to refine what will happen this year regarding preservation, but here is the preliminary list:
  4. Get TTC paint codes and do touch ups, including trying to deal with rusted areas
  5. Buff and wax exterior
  6. Power the vehicle, either by bypassing the 600 volt system or trickle charging it (I’ll need to talk to the TTC about this)
If UT members would like to visit the vehicle, I’m hoping to have an “open house“ day in the fall.

You absolute legend!

I've had a similar dream since I was in high school - in fact that's why my alias is 'reaperexpress'. In high school a friend and I were perusing the 'for sale' section of the Halton County Radial Railway, and found a streetcar we could actually afford to purchase (ignoring relocation, restoration etc), and proceeded to fantasize about actually having our own streetcar. It was former TTC RT-7, which had "Reaper Express" painted on the front (see profile pic), apparently because it was used as the railway's halloween train before it experienced a fire that pretty much destroyed the vehicle (thereby making it theoretically affordable for a pair of high school kids).

5. Buff and wax exterior

Keep us updated on the open house day!

5. Buff and wax exterior
Any plans to repaint the TTC logos on the exterior? Are you allowed to do that now that it's under your ownership? (Also, congrats on your purchase! Looking forward to an open house.)

5. Buff and wax exterior
I know it would be expensive but would it be feasible to complete an oval track and convert the streetcar to run on solar battery power just like the Byron Bay Train?

I know it would be expensive but would it be feasible to complete an oval track and convert the streetcar to run on solar battery power just like the Byron Bay Train?

There is actually 500 metres of old rail bed from the CP Walkerton Sub on the property, but that’s a project for another decade ;).

Any plans to repaint the TTC logos on the exterior? Are you allowed to do that now that it's under your ownership? (Also, congrats on your purchase! Looking forward to an open house.)

Essentially, I can’t make it appear that CLRV 4187 is still a TTC vehicle for liability reasons. As some people are rather litigious, I assume that the TTC doesn’t want to be named in a lawsuit if something were to happen. I do understand this, and why the TTC would want to be extra careful.

That being said, I do really want to get some logos back on the streetcar. Getting stickers printed isn’t too hard, and I have potentially come up with a workaround. Instead of TTC, I could use “PTC” for “Priceville Transit Commission”, and parody the logo shape. I don't want it to appear as hokey however. I’m curious, what are people’s thoughts on this logo?

C4CBCC2B-809B-4D46-8EB2-6B179D89D51E.png

Back