News   Mar 28, 2024
 520     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 407     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 744     0 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

I assume you are among those who complain that the homeless are "too visible' and should not sit on the streets, erect tents or really 'impose themselves' on honest hard-working taxpayers. Making available temporary hotel-shelters seems like a good idea to me as the City (and Province) can then, MAYBE, work with them to find permanent housing, health care, mental health support and trying to deal with the (usually complex and multi-faceted) problems that have resulted in their homelessness in the first place. I certainly agree that ONLY providing a roof and a bed is not enough.
Issue is then policies should also be done to help the avg person as well with real estate in this city as well either be rezoning and other things.

I am not saying I am against hotel use for homeless but I am saying people who are not homeless need help to and it seems people just ignore that.

Like I live in brampton and the housing situation is just oof

That is why I went lol cause we having 10 to 20 people in a suburban house here.

Last edited:
Issue is then policies should also be done to help the avg person as well with real estate in this city as well either be rezoning and other things.

I am not saying I am against hotel use for homeless but I am saying people who are not homeless need help to and it seems people just ignore that.

Like I live in brampton and the housing situation is just oof

Who is suggesting that housing isn't a broader problem, than homelessness (its most acute form)?

There is an entire debate going on this very morning at Planning and Housing Ctte, looking into 'The missing middle' and ways to simplify and open-up zoning to allow more varied types of units, in more places at lower costs.

There are ongoing discussions about the state of existing private sector apartment buildings and TCHC as well.

Outside of that.............you are aware that this thread is John Tory's Toronto..............not Patrick Brown's Brampton.

Some of the same actions discussed here are relevant to the Brampton situation; but the City's actions to move people out of Shelters is not related to nor an adverse impact on the Brampton housing situation.

Who is suggesting that housing isn't a broader problem, than homelessness (its most acute form)?

There is an entire debate going on this very morning at Planning and Housing Ctte, looking into 'The missing middle' and ways to simplify and open-up zoning to allow more varied types of units, in more places at lower costs.

There are ongoing discussions about the state of existing private sector apartment buildings and TCHC as well.

Outside of that.............you are aware that this thread is John Tory's Toronto..............not Patrick Brown's Brampton.

Some of the same actions discussed here are relevant to the Brampton situation; but the City's actions to move people out of Shelters is not related to nor an adverse impact on the Brampton housing situation.
The issue is the city is asking the rest of the province to pay where there are serious housing issues.

If they want to raise property taxes to pay for it then I have no right to say anything lol

The issue is the city is asking the rest of the province to pay where there are serious housing issues.

If they want to raise property taxes to pay for it then I have no right to say anything lol

Brampton, as elsewhere, receives all sorts of subsidies from Ottawa and QP, and largely addressees homelessness by way of sending people to Toronto to get services.

Cities, historically, have not funded social investments, this was always the prerogative of the upper tiers of government who have a wide swath of taxing powers that cities do not.

Really, I'm struggling to understand your issue here as anything other than a thinly veiled attack on people who are the most dire place; either because you don't care, or because you want your extra share first.

I've been patient w/you in this thread in explaining how things work, and the details of this proposal.

But each time I do, you come up with a new reason to oppose it.

At some point, you've shifted from needing to know more; to simply trolling.

Toronto bears a great amount of the tax burden for the rest of the province. Taxes paid provincially by Torontonians pay for the highways to sprawling suburban subdivisions, subsidize electricity for small towns, etc. If you want to advocate for separate taxation systems for different regions of the province, go right ahead. And you'll find rural and suburban taxes skyrocket.

Toronto bears a great amount of the tax burden for the rest of the province. Taxes paid provincially by Torontonians pay for the highways to sprawling suburban subdivisions, subsidize electricity for small towns, etc. If you want to advocate for separate taxation systems for different regions of the province, go right ahead. And you'll find rural and suburban taxes skyrocket.

Toronto also has dramatically lower property taxes then the suburbs as well.

A lot of Torontos problem could be fixed if they make those people in midtown toronto with mutli million dollar houses pay more property taxes and we know they can easily afford the increase.

I would actually think a sur tax on property tax for very high end houses is a good way to gather revenue.

Last edited:
It's not trolling

As I said its unfair to many people struggling in the city to pay for better living conditions then many have in this cit

Actually, a comment that says in so many words; "Its unfair to middle-class people who have housing to give housing to people who are homeless" is.........at the very least, trolling.

I'm done taking you seriously, at least in this thread.

I don't know if the city really wants to purchase the Bond Place - that's a big hotel whose bread and butter were bus tour groups, it being so close to two theatres and the Eaton Centre - probably not the location local businesses would want another shelter. But I could see it for EconoLodge on Jarvis, the Quality Inn at Islington and the 401, the Radisson at Victoria Park and 401, etc.

Right now, the Bond Place will do, it being so close to St. Mike's, but I could see that returned to being a tourist hotel once things pick up.

The Bond Place hotel is one of the few reasonably priced hotels left in the downtown. The majority of Toronto's hotels built in the last few years cater towards wealthy tourists and business travelers on expense accounts.

A lot of Torontos problem could be fixed if they make those people in midtown toronto with mutli million dollar houses pay more property taxes and we know they can easily afford the increase.

I would actually think a sur tax on property tax for very high end houses is a good way to gather revenue.

I remember hearing about a proposal to hike the land transfer tax for homes valued at $3M or more. Does anyone know what happened with it?

The Marriott Toronto City Centre hotel has been rented out to the Toronto Blue Jays and visiting MLB teams.

The Fairmont Royal York has been rented out to the Toronto Maple Leafs and a few other NHL teams.

Makes sense.

If Toronto FC ever returns to Toronto, the Hotel X Toronto at Exhibition Place makes logical sense as well. (Or the Stanley Barracks, or the Horse Palace. lol)

Report to upcoming Meeting of Executive Ctte on July 21 recommends a sole source contract with 'Pay It' to digitize payment of property taxes, utility payments, building permits and parking tickets, all with a single e-system.

City will pay out 2.5% of credit card payments, 1.5% of debit payments, they are estimating the City breaks even after 12 months and thereafter is financially ahead through savings in staff handling mail and counter requests and through avoidance of spending on in-house e-billing equipment/software.

Last edited:

Back