News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.1K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 482     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Toronto Police Service Reformation

Maybe, but someone who decide to come back for those two reasons probably isn't someone who'd be good for the job. Besides, why would anyone want the impending hot potato that is TPS (and TPA)?
Yes, I imagine that's why Sanders is bailing. I expect they'll have trouble finding anyone to be anything more than a stand-in chief, leading to political control of operations.

Here's a video from 1abacaba1/Carykh:

Comparisons with the UK, with its Canadian-like welfare state and where police are for the most part unarmed aren’t really useful other than for seeking confirmation of a preconceived POV.

We need to find another country will massive polarization and disparities in income and opportunity, a racialized underclass and huge gun ownership. Better comparisons for the US on police killings are Brazil and maybe the Philippines. Here’s a good place to start https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_killings_by_law_enforcement_officers_by_country

Last edited:
Make sure you define "defund" before commenting on it.

What Does Defunding The Police Mean?

From link.
Nope, 'defund' is a poisoned term that's red meat for the conservatives and the best campaign ad Trump can buy.

It means that the optics battle has already been lost because 1.) The two issues of 'disband' and 'defund' are intertwined in the current discourse and you have people inevitably using the two terms together. 2.) 'Defund' is a punitively absolutist term that requires a specific definition in its current use- notice how it required Matlow to clarify that he only wanted funding cut by 10%- a good slogan should not require any further addendums!

Even Biden and the most democratic of mayors are backpedaling from that now, and left-wing Twitter now considers it a right-wing/Russian/whatever conspiracy.

The issue is how much I think.

Cause some say 5 to 10 % some activists say 50% that I read.

I would say repurposing funds is the correct verbiage here as we want less cops dealing with mental health cases.

I agree, and I honestly don't know why 'Divert' or 'Reorganize' or even 'Reform' aren't considered instead.

Last edited:
What does this have to do with Toronto Police reformation? I think you’re in the wrong place.

Who would you want the Toronto Police to imitate or be instructed on? For many decades, there were people who wanted Toronto Police to do as the US police did.

I don't want the Toronto Police to follow what the state troopers and deputies from Anoka County Sheriff's office did in Minneapolis.

Who would you want the Toronto Police to imitate or be instructed on? For many decades, there were people who wanted Toronto Police to do as the US police did.

I don't want the Toronto Police to follow what the state troopers and deputies from Anoka County Sheriff's office did in Minneapolis.
I would have led with that then to bring some relevance or context to your otherwise OT post. But find anyone in power or influence now who is calling for Toronto Police to emulate US policing practices. You're preaching to the choir.

I think that was more in the 90s when we had a huge crime wave and many including many liberal icons pushed tough on crime ideas.

I think that was more in the 90s when we had a huge crime wave and many including many liberal icons pushed tough on crime ideas.
As an immigrant myself, the one tough on crime policy I always wanted to be tougher on is deportations of anyone who's a non-citizen and convicted of a criminal offence. For naturalized Canadians like myself, if I commit a major crime I want citizenship revocation and deportation. Send my criminal arse back to whence I came.

As an immigrant myself, the one tough on crime policy I always wanted to be tougher on is deportations of anyone who's a non-citizen and convicted of a criminal offence. For naturalized Canadians like myself, if I commit a major crime I want citizenship revocation and deportation. Send my criminal arse back to whence I came.

I am not sure why anyone who committed serious crimes AFTER they had become a citizen should be deported. They are Canadian citizens - and not someone else's problem anymore. We aren't 17th/18th century Britain.

AoD

Back