News   May 03, 2024
 602     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 376     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 212     0 

Montréal Transit Developments

I was surprised that the REM was the first time a launching girder (segmental concrete box girder viaduct construction) was used in Quebec (whether for rapid transit or highway bridges)
Vancouver's Millennium Line was built using launching girders 20 years ago and Quebec contractors like SNC Lavlin would have been involved.
The famous Chillon Viaduct in Switzerland was built using the segmental box girder method in the 1960s.
It will be the first time a boring machine for a Subway will be used too. In the 90s-00s, there wasn't much construction in QC, so new(er) technologies weren't adopted.

The rate of construction of the REM is an embarrassment for Toronto/Ontario
Seeing how 90% of this forum is against the Ontario Line's new way of doing things, there's much introspection to be made by others too, not just the government ;-)

On a rare good news from the ARTM, they will ask the QC Government to change the governance rules to finish all pre-project studies from 3 years in 18 months.

Here's a recent video of the South Shore section of the REM.

Last edited:
Seeing how 90% of this forum is against the Ontario Line's new way of doing things, there's much introspection to be made by others too, not just the government ;-)

On a rare good news from the ARTM, they will ask the QC Government to change the governance rules to finish all pre-project studies from 3 years in 18 months.

Thanks. Great progress, the station structures look almost completed. What is the opening date for the South Shore segment? Has the Caisse announced it? Real estate in South Shore has been heating up; several of my colleagues have recently purchased property there in anticipation of the REM.

Thanks. Great progress, the station structures look almost completed. What is the opening date for the South Shore segment? Has the Caisse announced it? Real estate in South Shore has been heating up; several of my colleagues have recently purchased property there in anticipation of the REM.
Testing should commence this Fall. Opening is still planned for late 2021; but the work stoppage might affect the date. I know some of the initiatives I work on are late, but could be mitigated.

Im only against the platform lengths for the Ontario line.

Add 20m more to the platforms and im totally on board with everything else about it.

Btw, I feel like this project is a lot closer to GO-ALRT than the Ontario Line.

Montreal is basically building GO ALRT 40 years after we failed to do so.

Perhaps of interest as well with regards to cost control and the benefits of automation, the REM to YUL will actually use a single track tunnel between Technoparc/Marie Curie and YUL (though YUL will have two platforms so trains can dwell longer). This is of course fine for planned frequencies and less of an issue as it's automated. If more capacity was ever needed, (which wouldn't be found on the mainline as it has three branches) you could always just connect to Dorval and then take over some space from VH and Via and perhaps go to Lucien L'Allier. Just find it interesting.

Isn't there already a southern branch that's planned from YUL/Dorval to central station? I seem to have heard it from somewhere but maybe I'm just imagining...

Perhaps of interest as well with regards to cost control and the benefits of automation, the REM to YUL will actually use a single track tunnel between Technoparc/Marie Curie and YUL (though YUL will have two platforms so trains can dwell longer). This is of course fine for planned frequencies and less of an issue as it's automated. If more capacity was ever needed, (which wouldn't be found on the mainline as it has three branches) you could always just connect to Dorval and then take over some space from VH and Via and perhaps go to Lucien L'Allier. Just find it interesting.

Using lightweight cars, elevated lines, a spur to the airport, etc etc. Its so true. Just the purpose of the project too, the scope of it and how it meets the needs of the region etc.

Isn't there already a southern branch that's planned from YUL/Dorval to central station? I seem to have heard it from somewhere but maybe I'm just imagining...
Line B of the REM might be (at least planned to Lachine) and the CIB is studying it. But I haven't heard anything from the CDPQi on the subject and one user on this site saw the map but it's so political that it's hearsay at this moment.

I don't understand many of the complaints issued towards the REM in the above twitter thread.

The out-dated commuter rail infrastructure is being upgraded to a state-of-the-art system, that will yes, be incompatible with existing routes, but so what? In the future, those other suburban routes can be upgraded and converted into the REM network, allowing for cross-compatibility and potential interesting route designs, as mentioned in Reecemartin's video above.

The fact that it is being developed by Caisse is not a downfall but a positive. Many urbanists talk up the efficiency and results of similar schemes where private-built subway systems and urban development in Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore and elsewhere in East Asia. It is maybe a loss of some public accountability, but I will take that in favour of actually delivering the line. Look to Ontario for reasons why relying on the provincial or municipal government to deliver these projects can be arduous or short-sighted.

I wish the Caisse was delivering the Crosstown instead of Metrolinx. Maybe that way we wouldn't have ended up with twenty-six 1-storey station buildings, but rather twenty-six mixed use, high density communities. Also unlike the private consortium who is building the Crosstown (whose only intention is construct, deliver, and profit), Caisse will have a long-term stake and interest as owner of the infrastructure. The one draw-back I suppose is that Caisse would control the fare system, rather than a public agency.

Chitti indeed. Half of the "negative" points are not. It's like reading comments from 2016 all over again.

Ant the Caisse doesn't control the fare system, the ARTM does. The ARTM pays the transit operators by user/km per operating mode. For example bus operators are paid 99c per user per km and the REM will be 67c per user per km.

Yes, not sure I fully understand some people's aversion to a privately managed/owned/operated transit project, when it has been done over and over again in other parts of the world.

And to be fair, CDPQ represents the vast majority of QC's population, being the public pension fund manager for all public and private employees on payroll. So, not exactly a "private" corporation.

If we left this up to STM or ARTM or the provincial government, it'll likely take a few more election cycles (if lucky) to get any major infrastructure projects off the ground. We have more than ample proof around the country for this recurring cycle of foot dragging - over studying and over engineering just for the sake of it - on projects solely led by the public sector.

Yes, not sure I fully understand some people's aversion to a privately managed/owned/operated transit project, when it has been done over and over again in other parts of the world.

And to be fair, CDPQ represents the vast majority of QC's population, being the public pension fund manager for all public and private employees on payroll. So, not exactly a "private" corporation.

If we left this up to STM or ARTM or the provincial government, it'll likely take a few more election cycles (if lucky) to get any major infrastructure projects off the ground. We have more than ample proof around the country for this recurring cycle of foot dragging - over studying and over engineering just for the sake of it - on projects solely led by the public sector.
The QC government will propose a change in major infrastructure project management to have all pre-build studies done in 18 months. We should know the prioritized projects next week. While it won't be as quick as the CDPQi, it's going in the right direction.

Typically, in a European city, I would question why a project like the REM was being built. Just use lightweight EMU's that run on traditional rail.

But here, we aren't allowed to do that. Without huge red tape and tons of exceptions from Transport Canada. Its a logistical nightmare.

So, I really think that this is the best option, using this LRT style system for regional rail, simply because the trains we would be allowed to use for mainline rail would cause the cost of any elevated transit to balloon in price, and you would be very limited to how the trackage could be weaved between other infrastructure. In fact I dont even think the new Champlain bridge can support heavy rail.

So, this is the best option, in Montreal/Canada.

Back