News   Apr 25, 2024
 347     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Bay Adelaide Centre West Tower (Brookfield, 50s, WZMH)

Urbandreamer - yep easy to take thousands of pics in a big hurry. I seem to get about 5% good ones. I have been chased away from ScotiaPlaza by security before taking photos. Its actually funny, we moved down the block towards Bay St, turned around and took more pics and the guy started coming after us... Also got scolded taking a picture of an advertisement near the entrance of a mall in downtown San Francisco which I thought was quite odd.

As for that black eagle - looks like some sort of Nazi symbol to me....

I was kicked out of the Gherkin in London within seconds of walking through the doors. I wasn't trying to take pictures, just wanted to look around and that there might be an observation deck or restaurant at the top, but there wasn't. The security was nice enough to tell me there was a restaurant outside and gave me a postcard with facts of the building on the back.

Hey history buffs, a question for y'all from this photo I took today of BA (East from U-Avenue)--What do the black eagles on the old building represent?

That's the Concourse building. It was built in 1928, a time when Art Deco was in style, so it's basically just part of the architecture, I don't think it represents anything specific (at least not that I know of). The builder also commissioned J.E.H. MacDonald, one of the Group of Seven Painters, to do artistic mosaics on the building which you can see in the entranceway on Adelaide. I'm not sure if he did those eagles also, or just the coloured mosaics on the south side. The art was just done to make the building more glamorous and attractive to attract tenants, as it was built speculatively. Unfortunately the stock market crash and the Great Depression came shortly after it was completed.

That's all I know about it. Back when I was living in TO, in about 2000, a developer was talking about tearing it down and just retaining part of the facade, thankfully that didn't happen. It's a really amazing building, especially the south and east facades and the entranceway with the colourful mosaics. Apparently the interior lobby is also really nice.

The latest I've heard is that there was a plan to convert it into condos, I'm not sure what's happening with that.

I was kicked out of the Gherkin in London within seconds of walking through the doors. I wasn't trying to take pictures, just wanted to look around and that there might be an observation deck or restaurant at the top, but there wasn't. The security was nice enough to tell me there was a restaurant outside and gave me a postcard with facts of the building on the back.

There is a restaurant at the top and it looks absolutely spectacular. Look for videos on YouTube for views of the restaurant and views from the restaurant.

That's the Concourse building. It was built in 1928, a time when Art Deco was in style, so it's basically just part of the architecture, I don't think it represents anything specific (at least not that I know of). The builder also commissioned J.E.H. MacDonald, one of the Group of Seven Painters, to do artistic mosaics on the building which you can see in the entranceway on Adelaide. I'm not sure if he did those eagles also, or just the coloured mosaics on the south side. The art was just done to make the building more glamorous and attractive to attract tenants, as it was built speculatively. Unfortunately the stock market crash and the Great Depression came shortly after it was completed.

That's all I know about it. Back when I was living in TO, in about 2000, a developer was talking about tearing it down and just retaining part of the facade, thankfully that didn't happen. It's a really amazing building, especially the south and east facades and the entranceway with the colourful mosaics. Apparently the interior lobby is also really nice.

The latest I've heard is that there was a plan to convert it into condos, I'm not sure what's happening with that.

Here's the thread for it.
http://www.urbantoronto.ca/showthread.php?t=1010

There is a restaurant at the top and it looks absolutely spectacular. Look for videos on YouTube for views of the restaurant and views from the restaurant.

Thanks, the views are awesome. I can't believe that F'in rent-a-cop told me there was no restaurant at the top.

Here's a shot I took this afternoon from Humber Bay Park. You can now clearly see the crane and the core from the west end. This and Trump will nicely balance the sudden fall from FCP and the rest of the buildings.

Sorry about the quality, I had to use the digital zoom.

2vkdwfr.jpg

Some photos from the Bay Adelaide Centre website.

Looks like they are putting up scaffolding to rebuild the historical facade:
122-97660003sm.jpg

Wide shot:
123-97660001sm.jpg

Back