News   May 06, 2024
 407     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 1.4K     1 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

Your are talking TTC only, but no other system bought them. A few modified design cars got sold, but no one came knocking on the doors for these tanks. The ALRV's were a failure on many fronts for TTC and they were glad see them going in 2014/15 only to be forced to keep them another 4 years thanks to BBD. It wasn't TTC maintenance that was the issue, but the design of the cars and parts.

The CLRV's did what there were supposed to do to a point and only the staff of TTC keep them on the road longer than they should have been. If TTC staff wasn't so good at rebuilding equipment better than building them new, the fleet would have been in the scrap yard over a decade ago.
From some TTC accounts the CLRVs were at their best in the 1990s and 2000s. Maintenance slipped in the 2010s because "new streetcars were coming" as the TTC usually does when new vehicles are years away from arriving so their performance declined a lot until they made some real efforts to get them back into shape for the last few years.

From some TTC accounts the CLRVs were at their best in the 1990s and 2000s. Maintenance slipped in the 2010s because "new streetcars were coming" as the TTC usually does when new vehicles are years away from arriving so their performance declined a lot until they made some real efforts to get them back into shape for the last few years.
I wonder if they'll meet the 35k MDBF back when they are now. The CLRVs were better off for the first 30 years. The recent winters, they keep freezing over. No way they were perfect for 40 years but definitely good for 30 years.

The ALRVs on the other hand were failures. There was never enough ALRVs on the 501 and often substituted with CLRVs. They simply didn't do their job unlike the CLRVs. I highly doubt they had a decent reliability by the 10 year mark.

In terms of marketing to other cities. UDTC wasn't a well known manufacture and wouldn't be able to compete with the international market. It wasn't prime time for LRT/LRVs back the 80s either.

4405 was just off loaded and is tracking as well. Been off TTC property 299 day and so much for 19 week turn around.

4406 and 4603 out test last night. 4406, 4601 and 4603 currently in the service bay with all 3 in service by the weekend.

Looks like 4516 will be out for a while to offset any of the ones above coming into service. Derailed at St. Clair & Vaughan this morning.
20200203_170347.jpg

Edit:: This video was sent to me

No overhead with charging done at the station either overhead or ground level.

TTC Next Car order and replacement fleet.
Apart from using batteries and supercapacitors is there that much innovation there?
Particular attention is required in the city centre, with the creation of a 3.6km (2.2-mile) wire-free section that uses ground-level charging points at each stop to recharge trams that feature CAF’s Greentech hybrid battery/supercapacitor system. The first section used overhead wires to supply the required 750V dc traction power; overhead will also be installed for the section between the main station and Cloche d’Or.

Looks like 4516 will be out for a while to offset any of the ones above coming into service. Derailed at St. Clair & Vaughan this morning.View attachment 228972

Hope this doesn't sound like a dumb question. What happens when a major disruption stops streetcar traffic on routes with a dedicated right of way. There'd no bus stops at curbside any more right? Where do the pax line up and board?

I assume the buses can run on the ROW.

640px-TTC_streetcar_tracks_on_St_Clair_9445278337.jpg
Only the section east of Vaughan Rd and West of Spadina road are designed for bus operation in and out of St Clair West. They are wider with a curb. The rest are too narrow with poles in the middle and large vehicles would have to be extra carefully not to fall off the raise concrete. That's why there's no firetruck or EMS on it.

Only the section east of Vaughan Rd and West of Spadina road are designed for bus operation in and out of St Clair West. They are wider with a curb. The rest are too narrow with poles in the middle and large vehicles would have to be extra carefully not to fall off the raise concrete. That's why there's no firetruck or EMS on it.
I thought the very reason the streetcar ROWs had a solid surface was for buses, service vehicles and EMS.

bus-8702-03.jpg

Otherwise, we should have built them like this to safe on cost, improve drainage and to disuade private vehicle incursions.

4967a.jpg

I thought the very reason the streetcar ROWs had a solid surface was for buses, service vehicles and EMS.

bus-8702-03.jpg

Otherwise, we should have built them like this to safe on cost, improve drainage and to disuade private vehicle incursions.

4967a.jpg
The ROW is concrete surface but too narrow on St Clair to allow buses to pass each other as well the centre pole. That been the biggest flaw of St Clair ROW as to do it right would require the narrowing of the sidewalks more than they are now.

4406 has now pass 4400 as been the longest time frame to reenter service after having the welds fix. 4406 is on the service track for the last 18 hours in the yard either waiting for a service bay to open or waiting for a part to arrive.

@drum118 My biggest complaint about the St. Clair ROW is the near deadly frogger zones, where, like at east bound at Yonge where people within easy walk of the signalled crossing instead cross on the ROW and pop out from between the stopped cars waiting to turn left onto Yonge into the face of oncoming through traffic. Several times now driving home from work I’ve stared into the eyes of some hapless lemming stepping out to their near death. The St. Clair ROW needs pedestrian barriers at key spots.

Last edited:
@drum118 My biggest complaint about the St. Clair ROW is the near deadly frogger zones, where, like at east bound at Yonge where people within easy walk of the signalled crossing instead cross on the ROW and pop out from between the stopped cars waiting to turn left onto Yonge into the face of oncoming through traffic. Several times now driving home from work I’ve stared into the eyes of some hapless lemming stepping out to their near death. The St. Clair ROW needs pedestrian barriers at key spots.
The sidewalk at Yonge on the south side are very narrow and the worse area for the full ROW to even think of a barrier unless a turning lane is remove. People will cross where they shouldn't and without looking and its up to the car drivers to be prepared for them. A lot of these dumb fools need to be hit, but at a cost to the driver.

When I do things, I not only check to see if it safe to cross, but to keep an eye on traffic in both direction to watch for a fool driver who shouldn't be doing something wrong in the first place.

Yonge/St Clair intersection is the worse one follow by Dufferin from my point of view for St Clair. Very rare I drive on St Clair, but like most road, watching for fool pedestrians popping up in from of me illegally. Its one reason I use transit more than driving even if take longer to get to where I am going.

Back