News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 494     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

What's the future for the Conservative Party?

Sounds like the same accusations hurled against every conservative in modern times ever.

Are you ok? Where are you seeing this? Sure, some leftist knobs might go on like that but most people don't. What's with your victim narrative? It's pathetic.

Hopkins, man, take your meds. Poilievre is a wanker.

There are plenty of respectable people available for the job. No need for him.

McKay, Ambrose, Chong ? ....for example.

Not saying Pollivere is perfect, just saying that the election might have turned out more favorably for the Conservatives had a leader with more of a pulse than Scheer been selected.

Sounds like the same accusations hurled against every conservative in modern times ever.

I have nothing against reasonable conservative types and believe that a party system without any conservative options would be rather boring.

I'm none of those. Just saying.

I know you aren't. He just attracted those types.

I do understand the viewpoint expressed earlier that it is problematic that all would-be conservative candidates are being held to a higher (impossible?) standard by centrist Canadians compared to other party leaders. I do understand why that is, nobody in the Canadian centre that would flirt with voting Conservative wants there to be a chance that a debate like LGBT rights or abortion could be reopened by a dinosaur caucus.

That attitude is not necessarily productive. For instance, here in Ontario we basically celebrated the downfall of Patrick Brown even despite it directly leading to the ascendancy of Doug.

Anyone fancy a reality TV star for Conservative leader and potential PM?

Hmmm, where have we seen this before?

Vincenzo Guzzo of Dragon's Den on CBC is mulling entering the race.

In fairness to Mr. Guzzo, as compared to other reality-star business people turned politicos; his companies actually turn a profit.

Also as opposed to being challenged by one language; he's fluent in three. (English, French and Italian)

I have yet to year a policy plank beyond less debt........

But he's pro-choice and pro-firearms registry...........as Conservatives go.............

Last edited:

Agree? Disagree?

Disagree.

In the heights of the SNC Lavalin Scandal and a few months following, MacLeans predicted up to 174 seats for the Tories. There must still be enough vulnerable seats that could swing the Conservatives' way. 21 seats at one point during the campaign were favoured to be won by the Tories in Quebec prior to the Bloc surge. York, Durham, Peel and Halton are Blue Liberal at best (90% of which are currently Ontario PC ridings) and could easily swing to the Tories with the right charismatic leader at the helm. Finally Toronto proper areas like the Etobicokes and Eglinton-Lawrence and north of the 401 Toronto have reliably produced "shock" outcomes favoring the Tories before. There's room to improve in New Brunswick (Harper sweeped that Province not too long ago), and a toe hold in PEI and Nfld is bound to occur with the right leader. So, it's quite elitist to presume this early that the election is already lost to us when the government is weakened and pandering to any cause it feels can salvage their minority status.

Ballpark, armchair prediction per Trudeau (or his successor) imploding:

Conservatives, currently 121 ridings gain:

Nfld = 3, western half
PEI = 1, Egmont
NS = 4
NB = 8, Greens and Dominic LeBlanc remain
QB = 12, I'm boldly predicting a lot of Bloc ridings swing to the Tories in Eastern Quebec
ON = 30, the regions I mentioned in the above post plus sprinklings in London, K-W, St Catharines, the Soo and Greater Ottawa
BC = 5, some Greater Van and Island swings.

So, 63 ridings + 121 = MajoriTORY! I think 184 ridings is not all that far fetched a prognostication considering the Liberals won back in 2015 with 184.

Canadian social conservatives are tired of being written off and ignored by Conservative Party politicians are searching for a leadership candidate they can get behind.

"We have people that we're talking to. Nobody has come out to say, 'Yes. I'm going to [run],'" said Jeff Gunnarson, national president of Campaign Life Coalition, a group that advocates against abortion.

Gunnarson declined to name the possible candidates who could win the coalition's support, adding the organization is looking for a contender who would be "reasonable enough to say that a discussion should be had" about making abortion illegal in Canada.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/social-conservatives-leadership-1.5418035

Back