News   Apr 19, 2024
 454     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 592     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 995     3 

St Lawrence Market

Bluestone had some sort of leak and opened a popup elesewhere in the hotel. I wish them ill, since their owner is a major Trump fundraiser.

Bluestone had some sort of leak and opened a popup elesewhere in the hotel. I wish them ill, since their owner is a major Trump fundraiser.
I had an NYC friend in Toronto a few weeks back. When I took him around he was shocked to see Bluestone in Toronto and mentioned the Trump connection as well. Personally, what I think we need in Toronto is Blue Bottle, not Bluestone.

I had an NYC friend in Toronto a few weeks back. When I took him around he was shocked to see Bluestone in Toronto and mentioned the Trump connection as well. Personally, what I think we need in Toronto is Blue Bottle, not Bluestone.
The same guy owns Equinox, Soul Cycle, Momofuku and a bunch of other places.

DSC, or anyone else in the know, any news on when St. James Cathedral's spire will be getting architectural lighting? Isn't it supposed to be happening imminently? It's long overdue.

DSC, or anyone else in the know, any news on when St. James Cathedral's spire will be getting architectural lighting? Isn't it supposed to be happening imminently? It's long overdue.
Glad you asked...

The electrical cables are being buried 'as we speak' and that phase of the project should be done in next few days (before the frost). I had hoped that we would see the lighting turned on by - or on - Christmas (a great gift!) but I was told last week that it will be 'a couple of months'.

Does anyone know if there was any outcome from the St Lawrence Market hours of operation public consultation in early Oct?

Does anyone know if there was any outcome from the St Lawrence Market hours of operation public consultation in early Oct?
Apparently an announcement is expected in next few days. I hear rumours of Sunday and several later evenings but closed both Mondays and Tuesdays but this may be rumour so be patient.

GRAFUS - the furniture etc place on King just next door to Patrician Grill has gone under. Bankruptcy notices in window.
Not that it's great to hear about a business going bankrupt, but there is an over-saturation of home design shops along that stretch of King East. I'm now hoping that a bar/restaurant opens up in its place. I always thought their front entrance area would make for an awesome patio!

Not that it's great to hear about a business going bankrupt, but there is an over-saturation of home design shops along that stretch of King East. I'm now hoping that a bar/restaurant opens up in its place. I always thought their front entrance area would make for an awesome patio!
It IS called the King Street Design District as it is supposed to be an area with lots of design spaces - though I agree that the space WOULD make a great bar! (Until it and Patrician Grill are built on.)

His interior design business is still a going concern. I think it was just the retail location that failed.

I've always thought the same thing, and I'll admit I was a bit annoyed by the way the recent owners used the little square as a personal parking lot (previously it had been decorated with sculptures or pop-up stuff). Before my time, in the early 1970's, I believe this property was part of one location of the famous Underground Railroad soul food restaurants. https://torontoist.com/2014/02/historicist-the-food-is-soul-good/

The new street-level location on [225] King Street East replicated the decor and atmosphere of the Bloor Street location—which remained in operation for a short while—with white-washed stucco walls covered in Underground Railroad-themed artwork, weathered wooden roof beams, and fence posts. In front, beside a yellow canopy leading to the entrance was a scrubby front garden with an old wagon and a summertime patio. Although it maintained the previous location’s cozy charm with three interlocking rooms at King Street, the seating capacity was doubled. Waiters wore striped railroader overalls, complete with name patch.

So in a way some sort of bar or restaurant would be a return to its roots. Though I suspect a more likely fate is another expensive furniture store followed by eventual condoization.

Last edited:
Coming to Council tomorrow:

MM13.19
ACTION​
Ward: 13​
Authority to enter into an Agreement with 65 King East LP (Carttera Developments) for streetscape improvements on Colborne Street and Leader Lane as part of the development of 65 King Street East..

Council authority is required to enter into an agreement(s) with 65 King East LP and/or with its consultants and/or contractors to work with City Divisions and the St. Lawrence Market Neighbourhood Business Improvement Area to redesign and reconstruct Colborne Street between Leader Lane Street and Church Street, and Leader Lane between King Street and Colborne Street
See: http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2019.MM13.19

Last edited:
Coming to Council tomorrow:

MM13.19
ACTION​
Ward: 13​
Authority to enter into an Agreement with 65 King East LP (Carttera Developments) for streetscape improvements on Colborne Street and Leader Lane as part of the development of 65 King Street East..

Council authority is required to enter into an agreement(s) with 65 King East LP and/or with its consultants and/or contractors to work with City Divisions and the St. Lawrence Market Neighbourhood Business Improvement Area to redesign and reconstruct Colborne Street between Leader Lane Street and Church Street, and Leader Lane between King Street and Colborne Street
See: http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2019.MM13.19

The details offer even more good news!

Consistent with the St. Lawrence Market Neighbourhood Business Improvement Area Master Plan, Colborne Street is proposed to be designed as a flexible street similar in its operation and materiality to Market Street west of the St. Lawrence Market. The design would support pedestrian activities and, where possible, would have the flexibility to support seasonal cafés and winter parking. Leader Lane, Scott Street and Victoria Street are proposed to reflect a similar material palette and focus on balancing the needs of all users and optimize opportunities for curbside activities.

The south side of Colborne Street is lined by a number of high quality heritage buildings which are often used as backdrops for the Film Industry. The Business Improvement Area Heritage Lighting Master Plan for Old Town Toronto has been developed to reinforce the heritage quality of the neighbourhood with Guidelines for Future Lighting Improvements. This initiative will identify opportunities to implement these guidelines to reinforce the heritage assets and in turn support these local businesses, walkability and the film industry.

Back