538     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 833     0 

Main Street Planning Study: City/SvN

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Final Report on new zoning/plan for the Main/Danforth area going to Council.

Principally focused on Danforth from just west of Main to Dawes.

What's envisioned, from said report above:

1574439160657.png

1574439198583.png

1574439240163.png

1574439261186.png

1574439303629.png

I don't understand why the massing for replacement buildings proposed for the northeast corner of Main St and Danforth should be mid-rises like along the rest of Danforth: the subway station is immediately north, so nothing to terrace down to, and a large enough complex here might make a tunnel from the subway station through the complex and under Danforth to the new buildings to the south. A more direct connection between the subway and GO here would be highly desirable.

I don't understand why the massing for replacement buildings proposed for the northeast corner of Main St and Danforth should be mid-rises like along the rest of Danforth: the subway station is immediately north, so nothing to terrace down to, and a large enough complex here might make a tunnel from the subway station through the complex and under Danforth to the new buildings to the south. A more direct connection between the subway and GO here would be highly desirable.

Good observation!

Though, if you look at the 6 Dawes thread, the vision is to embed the GO Stn inside a new Tower fronting Main St; roughly where pedestrians now exit main onto a path leading to the existing station.

That will shorten the walking distance to the station building slightly, though not to the platforms, obviously.

In terms of continuous corridor connection; something canopy covered, adjacent to the existing sidewalk might get you from the new building to Danforth, if that was incorporated into the building that will replace the POPS that is Main Square.

Coming from the TTC Stn side, assuming you wanted to take people from the TTC mezzanine to the GO entrance off Main, the angle would be a bit quirky. The underground tunnel connection point would have to come between the 2 sets of stairs escalators than connect the bus terminal to the mezzanine and that aligns slightly to the west of mid-block between Barrington and Main. The next spot over, would be between the 2 connections to the EB platform and that would put you just east of mid-block.

Something else I wanted them to look at was where an additional exit from the TTC Platforms would go one day; as currently all exits run through the mezzanine and to Main Street.

I'm convinced if code doesn't require it already, it will require a second exit pathway in case a fire was in the mezzanine.

I'm told the TTC didn't want to examine this as it isn't on their priority list of second-exit locations.

I thought the remaining homes fronting Barrington, adjacent to Coleman Park would have made sense.

The advantage is in being able to build in taxi/PPUDO location, modestly expand the existing park; and the new connection would almost line-up for a mid-platform access to the GO Stn; which is contemplated as part of the 6 Dawes proposal.

These renders seem to assume the GO station in its current location, rather than moved east. Perhaps Metrolinx is kicking that can down the road to save $?

I also agree with the thought in the Dawes thread and elsewhere that given the existing residential density, other developments already proposed and the transit access now available, what that area needs is jobs not people to overload trains towards Union even more. Secord JPS is already slammed and given that I doubt the schools south of the railway are doing much better.

are there currently plans to move the go train station?

Not that I'm aware of. All future systems map show Danforth Go being close to Main TTC station. Moving east would make it less easy to transfer from one system to the other. https://www.gotransit.com/static_fi...heFutureGOPDFs/Future-System-Map_27032018.pdf

The Toronto city plans above posted by Northern Light envision building a new entrance east (near Dawes) to accommodate riders not having to walk all the way to Main to enter the Go Train station. Dawes entrance already improves access enough that there's no need to move the station IMHO.

Geographically speaking where east could they move it? If it's near Victoria Park Ave, it'd be less convenient to transfer to TTC as the station is further away. Any other move east would increase walking distance to Main TTC station. I would only envision a move east if the city's goal is to make transit less convenient/accessible.

Last edited:
No that I'm aware of. All future systems map show Danforth Go being close to Main TTC station. Moving east would make it less easy to transfer from one system to the other. https://www.gotransit.com/static_fi...heFutureGOPDFs/Future-System-Map_27032018.pdf

The Toronto city plans above posted by Northern Light envision building a new entrance east (near Dawes) to accommodate riders not having to walk all the way to Main to enter the Go Train station. Dawes entrance already improves access enough that there's no need to move the station IMHO.

Geographically speaking where east could they move it? If it's near Victoria Park Ave, it'd be less convenient to transfer to TTC as the station is further away. Any other move east would increase walking distance to Main TTC station. I would only envision a move east if the city's goal is to make transit less convenient/accessible.

Metrolinx: Hold my beer

Metrolinx isn't planning on moving the platform - they are simply planning on adding a PPUDO and additional entrance from Dawes. The entrance from Main Street will remain.

are there currently plans to move the go train station?
Metrolinx isn't planning on moving the platform - they are simply planning on adding a PPUDO and additional entrance from Dawes. The entrance from Main Street will remain.

Page 14 of the Lakeshore East Corridor Expansion (Don River-Scarborough GO) EPR
The fourth track contains track separation from the existing Track 2 through Danforth GO Station. The Danforth GO Station future platforms will consist of two (2) islands. The platforms will also be relocated approximately 170 m east to allow the track not to impact the existing Main Street overpass.

Previously discussed:

Back